2 chuck and duck chippers.... Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rack

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Like the title says, there are 2 Asplundh 12" drum chuck and duck chippers i'm looking at. One has a john Deere motor has a White motor both are four cylinder engines. Both are 2500 and im not sure of the age.

I know to make sure that there are no sized or broken bolts that holds the knives. Also to check the bearings on the drum but what else should i look for? And which engine would you chose?
thanks
Nick

Yeah im not really sold on buying one.... frankly they look terrifying. Do alot of companies still use them?

They're getting fewer and farther between. Asplundh's phasing them out, so they're a dime a dozen. If you do get one, train the hell out of your crew, and throw some roadkill through it to scare the piss out of 'em. I know it can be tight starting out, but I really hate those suckers.

lol thanks for the advice.... if I buy one i will be the only one feeding it. Im an extremely careful person and wouldn't trust anyone else to run it

I've got a chuck and duck. Its definately a fast way to get rid of brush. The biggest thing is feeding it properly. You can cut your brush so it just flies through and our not forcing it. I think thats where most injuries occur is trying too hard to get piece to feed.

I worry less worried about my crew running a chuck and duck than a hyd feed unit. Guys seem to get complaciant around the hydro feeds and new guys just don't seem to process how dangerous they really are. A chuck and duck kinda scares the crew and they keep their distance. In my opinion if used properly a chuck and duck isn't anymore dangerous than any other chipper.

I Just talked to a guy who has a drum chipper with a ford motor and it hasn't been run in 6 years.... He said that it will only take stuff 1" and bigger because it will just spit branches out without chipping them.... any ideas on how hard that would be to fix?
also he dosnt know the model or year or knife lenghth
heres the link
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/hvo/4656026336.html

I would bet 95% of chipper fatalities are from hydro units. Have still never heard of anybody going through a whipper chipper without some help.

More like 99.5% Todd.

Hydraulically fed disk and drum chippers are the man eaters.

Chuck n ducks will beat the hell out of an unwary operator no doubt. Break your arm, knock out your teeth, blind you, stab you, knock you unconscious and bleeding on the ground. But I've yet to hear tale of a chuck n duck ever eating an operator whole.

An experienced crew feeding a well maintained 16 inch chuck n duck can out produce the same number of men feeding a BC1800.

jomoco

I Just talked to a guy who has a drum chipper with a ford motor and it hasn't been run in 6 years.... He said that it will only take stuff 1" and bigger because it will just spit branches out without chipping them.... any ideas on how hard that would be to fix?
also he dosnt know the model or year or knife lenghth
heres the link
http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/hvo/4656026336.html
Dull blades.... is 90 % knife anvil gap 10 % maybe

I'm constantly amazed by guys doin tree biz for years, yet still not having a clue about how to keep a chipper or a chainsaw in good aggressive operating condition.

Both chuck n ducks and hydro fed chippers all have bed knives that must be adjusted to within a whisker of the 4 mandrel knives to give the best performance and fuel economy. The pros that run lots of crews buy 3 sets of knives at a time for each chipper. This allows you to change blades 3 times without messin with a bed knife adj until 3 blade changes. Sharpen all 3 dull sets to the same exact length, and only one bed knife adjustment is needed for 6 or twelve blade changes depending on whether it's a C n D or a BC1800 WTC.

There's an unrelenting science to it that flies over far too many tree service owners head's resulting in unnecessary trauma, IMO.

jomoco

i use our Mitts n Merril chuck and duck all the time. it has a ford 292 v8 engine and has been pounded hard for years! keeping knives sharp and adusted properly along with oil changes and greased bearings wil keep the unit running for years!

Go for the JD over the White (which are obsolete). JD's are the best.
I ran drums for 20 year, never had a problem. They are limited but very affective and pound for pound and $ for $ they are more efficient then any other chipper.
The gas unit needs blades and bed knife. You'll probably need to drain the fuel tank and maybe even rebuild the carb ($250).
The blade bolts could be stuck as well. That would be your biggest problem.

The 2 chippers that were being sold for 2500 a piece were absolute junk..... the one with the tarp covering the guy got running but and I made an offer just need to wait to see if he takes it. He also told me he ran the motor at a little over idle when chipping stuff which I though they were sposed to be run wide open

Latest posts

Back