2 chuck and duck chippers.... Which one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Would i be an idiot to think about a bandit model 65 with a 20 horse Honda engine? Are they good machines and do they hold up well?

The 65/20 is a good machine just under powered. The 65 with a 35hp engine is better, good enough for 1 guy to feed it consistently.
Still nothing like a drum chipper.

Caltreeequpment what are your thoughts on a Vermeer 1250 with Perkins deisle engine? And what should I look for when inspecting one?

They are good units in my opinion. Some guys love them others hate. Vertical feed rollers that take brushy stuff well but tend to jam on big crotches. It has curb side feed which can be pretty handy. They are well build, long lasting chippers that tend to be under valued because of the feed roller system.
Are you in Texas? You might want to call me.

No i live in michigan...... I am going to look at the chipper what was under the tarp that wont chip anything under an inch..... we agreed at 2500 and am going to run some materiel throw it tomorrow, at that price would it be a good deal? Its a really clean machine.

I spend a good part of my day throwing old brush and logs into an old Asplundh chuck and duck. If you have common sense and think about where you're hands are constantly you'll be fine. Took me a while to learn how to feed brush and branches in without them being pulled from my arms cutting me up. If you do end up with one get the one with the Deere engine. Its reliable and starts even after sitting in the cold for ages.

The only time the old chuck and duck gets me is after spending a few days working with one of the bigger Vermeers the company uses on some trucks. You get used to it doing the work for you, other than the dragging part. Go back to the chuck and duck and you feel your hands being pulled off your arms :)

The one nice thing about a chuck and duck is they're simple. We end up working in some pretty remote places and having equipment we can fix fast if it brakes down is handy as all hell. There is alot less parts to fail or deal with in a chuck and duck than an automatic feed. Yes they can be a bit dodgy and dangerous if you're careless, but the simplicity can be nice.

Back