2 Cycle Engine Assembly 101

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Wrist Pin Installation ???

Please help with this one : I'm in the shop about to put the new piston , wrist pin , clips , rings and cylinder on to cases and I noticed the wrist pin differs from one end to the other end . One end of the pin is solid whereas the other end of wrist pin is hollow , (same as original pin ). I can't imagine why unless it has something to do with allowing air to move through pin for cooling ? Question to all of you out there is which end of wrist pin do I orientate towards the exhaust port , the solid end of pin or the hollow end of pin ? Also does anyone know the reasoning behing this design ? Your help will be appreciated as I'm trying to get this thing finished up .

Um cant remember a 100% but I beleive on the Super XL i just put together the solid end goes toward the exhaust port. I would think that is pretty much universal but idk...maybe someone can tell you for sure.

Not Clear On The Concept ?

pretty interesting engine where you can have one end of the wrist in point to the exhaust port!!!!:dizzy:

If you're not sure about the question I posed all you have to do is ask for clarification although those that know a bit about saws will understand . If you look at the pics I have posted it will become clear to you that the connecting rod is orientated such that when the piston and wrist pin are assembled to the connecting rod the wrist pin is in exact alignment with the exhaust port . Now , back to the original question ......

Um cant remember a 100% but I beleive on the Super XL i just put together the solid end goes toward the exhaust port. I would think that is pretty much universal but idk...maybe someone can tell you for sure.

Thanks for your input oldbigred , hopefully someone has the difinitive answer .:greenchainsaw:

Assembly Finished

Finished putting the Poulan together , well worth doing as it runs well and you can feel it pull for a little saw . This little beauty is like new now . Needs a little carb adjustment for fine tuning and then cut wood .
PoulanSawFinalAssembly013.jpg

PoulanSawFinalAssembly022.jpg

PoulanSawFinalAssembly024.jpg

PoulanSawFinalAssembly030.jpg

PoulanSawFinalAssembly036.jpg

PoulanSawFinalAssembly040.jpg

PoulanSawFinalAssembly041.jpg

PoulanSawFinalAssembly042.jpg

Paint

Hello lesorubcheek ,

I purchased the paint at "Lordco" , a automotive parts chain in Canada . I'm not sure what the American equivelant store would be . Wiped all parts with gunwash prior to priming with super krorypon (sic) and then sprayed with acrylic enamel "Hot Licks C " . Mae #46973 A . I was amazed when I demasked the serial # and found the paint to be an almost perfect match . I'm going to paint the muffler flat black but just threw it on to run the saw .
Thanks to you and Kevin for appreciating the saw and my work .

Yessir, that paint looks factory. Thanks for sharing your source. Very very very nice job on a fine saw!

Dan

Thats a cute lil feller aint it. I thought I was on the right track w/ the wrist pin. Glad you got it together. Enjoy.

Back