2 cycle oil again !!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

4pwr

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I have been through past posts and it seems like the guys that know what they are doing use a 32 to 1 mix. They say saws run good. They also say use 89 octane with no ethanol. This sounds right as my outboard runs better with no ethanol. Cant prove it but it seems no ethanol gas absorbs less moisture and stores a little better.I have no proof of this just how I think the outboard runs. Now if a guy wants to take care of a good Stihl chainsaw properly what 2 cycle and bar oil should he use?

I use a good synthetic 2 stroke oil. regular Husky, stihl or Echo brand oils will work with now negative effects to my knowledge as well. as long as you use a decent oil formulated for air cooled 2 stroke engines at the proper ratio in your saws, you wont see a problem.

oldsaw-addict said:
I use a good synthetic 2 stroke oil. regular Husky, stihl or Echo brand oils will work with now negative effects to my knowledge as well. as long as you use a decent oil formulated for air cooled 2 stroke engines at the proper ratio in your saws, you wont see a problem.

What Oldsaw said. I use Mobil MX2T(now Racing 2T) @ 32:1 in premium gas.

Just about anything works as bar oil. ATF, gear oil, motor oil, hydraulic fluid, whatever. Stay away from used motor oil, lots of nasties. In a pinch, even real live bar oil from a saw shop works. ;) I use plain vegi oil from the grocery store in my saws with no problems.

Well it's your saw ,use Wesson oil if you want,but I prefer regular bar oil.Bar oil has a tacking agent,similar to STP.This holds on or clings to the bar and chain better than oil without this additive.

Absorbing moisture is not a problem, really; there's always moisture around, after all. If your fuel would absolutely NOT mix with any water at all, then any water that happened into the fuel would remain as discrete drops of water. These will stop a carbeurator dead until they are manually cleaned out.
The problem with alcohols in fuels comes from their slight corrosive nature, attacking some plastics and rubbers and poor energy density. All the oxygenated fuels are less stable in storage and ethanol mixes are no different. There's a whole other debate about 'oxygenates' WRT modern fuels but it's generally agreed that alcohols are among the poorest of the available oxygenates. They are an inexpensive and expedient additive, however and have significant econmomic impact for the farmers who grow the crops that become ethanol. That and rhetoric from the enviro-wackos account for the popularity of this additive.

Jimbo

Use minimum 91 octane in modern saws or even better 93-94 octane if you can get it and all from reputable brand stations or refiners with large quantity volumes. Purchase quality name brand oils from Stihl, Echo, Jonsered, Husky, Exxon etc. or synthetics from companies such as Mobil or Amsoil and you can not go wrong.

Personally I also add fuel stabilizer to my mix over and above the aforementioned.

Lobo said:
Use minimum 91 octane in modern saws or even better 93-94 octane if you can get it and all from reputable brand stations or refiners with large quantity volumes. Purchase quality name brand oils from Stihl, Echo, Jonsered, Husky, Exxon etc. or synthetics from companies such as Mobil or Amsoil and you can not go wrong.

Personally I also add fuel stabilizer to my mix over and above the aforementioned.

Ditto!

Why should higher octanes be used? Unless you adjust the engine for it (timing etc), what would be the benefit?

mktest said:
Why should higher octanes be used? Unless you adjust the engine for it (timing etc), what would be the benefit?

It lightens your wallet quicker!!

IMO - no need to run higher octane unless racing.

mktest said:
...from what other guys have said on here, I think the theory is that adding oil to gas lowers the octane a bit, so you want to start with high octane gas to begin with. Personally, for the gallon or two I use every few weeks the extra 20 cents is not an economic hardship. I understand some of these folks with businesses use much more, and at that point it might become an issue.

MKtest, The manufacturers HAVE adjusted the timing. In th old days we were told that octane didn't matter in 2-cycles-and in the engines that were turning 9500-10000 max no load RPMs it didn't. The designers uped performance-now we have saws turning from 12,500 to nearly 15,000 RPM. The owners manuals are now reccomending mid-grade fuels(read carefully to understand which rating method is specified and do the math and that is where we come out on US gasoline). I personally run premium in hot weather beacause I have found that it eliminates vapor lock issues when the temps soar.

I think my 359 manual actually calls for 91, but I know it is at least 89. One of the local dealers claims that premium will destroy the diphragm in the carb. I run it anyway, and he is also the same guy that told me to run a different plug than what Husqvarna specs.

The other benefit is that octane will decrease over time, so if you are like me and have a gallon to use for a couple weeks, then I think it makes sense to go ahead and spend and extra couple nickels.

Oh, and on another note (back to the actual thread):

I was given a bunch of Poulan and Craftsman oil (mix) by my father in law. Are these the same as the Husqvarna oil? I have a fair amount of the stuff and want to use it up but I may just use that for the cheap WeedEater.

I ran Poulan oil-mixed at 32/1 for years without any oil related problems but I have switched to higher quality synthetics. The Poulan stuff is a tad more prone to leaving carbon deposits

2Coilinveins said:
What Oldsaw said. I use Mobil MX2T(now Racing 2T) @ 32:1 in premium gas.

Just about anything works as bar oil. ATF, gear oil, motor oil, hydraulic fluid, whatever. Stay away from used motor oil, lots of nasties. In a pinch, even real live bar oil from a saw shop works. ;) I use plain vegi oil from the grocery store in my saws with no problems.

I too have used packaged "bar oil" and can also attest that it works in a pinch when I cant find anything else handy. LOL. Actualy I aquired a drum of #68 gear oil many years ago and it has been my bar lube ever since.

vegetable oil for bar

The good thing about using vegetable oil for your bar is when your bar heats way up (by lunch time) you can fry your burger on it.

oil mix

i use mobil mx2t symthetic and 93 octane i have also have noticed you
don"t get the dino smell on your clothes using syntheics

Bvaught-

100LL in my saws didn't do much. I got better midrange torque but the high end just went away. This was in a Poulan disposeable, an MS360, and a buddie's 372xp. I tuned like I do for normal gas, did I do something wrong? The results I got weren't worth the extra $$, and definitely not worth the trip across town to the airport. I'd really appreciate any tips you could give me on this one. Love the smell, though. :blob2:

Back