2 Cylinder Deere 66SV

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Demand and Supply Economics

These two-cylinder saws are going for stoopid money right now. A non-runner Echo just sold today for $293 PLUS shipping .... and another 66SV was just listed ...... :msp_w00t:

Hey Warped5, I can remember back in the mid to late sixties when a new 427 Shelby Cobra was $6000 now they are selling for a Million Plus.

These two-cylinder saws are going for stoopid money right now. A non-runner Echo just sold today for $293 PLUS shipping .... and another 66SV was just listed ...... :msp_w00t:

By tomorrow night, I should be able to tell you whether or not mine is worth the $440+shipping I paid.

I looked at the parts saw on ebay thinking it would be nice to put the unbroken baseplate on my saw. When the price shot up I didn't even think of bidding. Although on backorder, a new baseplate is $67 from Baileys. If that is all that the parts saw purchaser wanted they most be pretty convinced that the backorder will never be filled.

Last edited:
Whats on the Horizon

JR, I think that you made a good investment especially for the production of firewood. If all my sources are correct from October of this year to December of 2012 there are going to be some difficult times ahead and it is going to get down to food,water and firewood.

Funny JD 66sv Stroy

About the time I got stung by the CAD bug, I was cruzin CL adds for saws. I found an 034 that a guy had for sale for $150. When I got there, he had the 034 and a 66sv next to it. He said he was selling both together for $150 and would not sell just the 034. I knew the value of the 034 but had never seen or heard of the JD saw. I tried to talk him into $100 for the just 034 but he wouldn't budge. I knew the 034 was worth the $150 so I took them both. I about fell over when I did a bit of research on the JD saw. A few years and 40+ saws that have come and gone, I still have the JD on a shelf and still use the 034 all the tiime.

I've got the 66sv. Pretty much a novelty saw for me, I use it a few times a year & its a good GTG saw. It is a little heavy, but its sound & feel are unique, I enjoy running it.
For you fellas that are saying you can order parts from your local echo dealer-- You might want to stock up & sit on them if you can get them. Echo stopped supplying parts for them some time last year. I spent the better part of a week trying to find an air filter. (a $35 air filter at that!) Each dealer told me they could order it, then would call back within a few hours to let me know that they couldn't get it any longer.
A very fun saw to have, but like WSC said, definitely not a daily driver.

[video=youtube_share;YwcgasrJ4i4]http://youtu.be/YwcgasrJ4i4[/video]

It seems to be a good performer when you keep the revs up. It impressed me enough that I sold my Husky 359 yesterday. It definitely a industrial quality saw. I didn't really notice the additional 3 lbs over the Husky. I was running the 32:1 mix I use in my 80EV, but I think it will prefer 50:1.

A Lot of the Axemen Were Missing Toes

JR, invest in a good pair of Red Wing steel toed boots and a pair of chaps. I have a neighbor that cuts in flipflops and it freaks me out. I watched the logging show Axemen and a lot of timber cutters were missing toes.

JR---Nice Video

JR, that saw will sell for a $1000 in ten years. I haven't seen a John Deere commercial that good on tv. Nice straight cuts make rounds easier to split into billets. And you have got the right hat. Remember "Nothing Runs Like a Deere" except maybe a Cheetah (80 mph)

66SV Ignition problem

I read about the fun JR has had here, So I went and pulled out the 66SV I have and tried to start it, it fired up at about the eigth pull, revved up and then died. Now I don't have spark to either cylinder. What would cause this problem? Does this Saw have points or ? Hope some one has an answer. Thanks, SNR

I read about the fun JR has had here, So I went and pulled out the 66SV I have and tried to start it, it fired up at about the eigth pull, revved up and then died. Now I don't have spark to either cylinder. What would cause this problem? Does this Saw have points or ? Hope some one has an answer. Thanks, SNR

The Acres site lists nothing for this saw, but it is the same as the Echo CST610-EVL. It says no points, so the usual suspects might be 1) loose connection somewher 2) short or defect in the kill switch 3) bad coil 4) something I overlooked.

Good luck!

FWIW, on eBay an Echo went for $515.00, a Deere for $510.00.

Yah, too many variables to judge a saw's value with just 2 auctions, It all depends on when the auction ends, if there are competing saws, How well the description is written etc. You'd have to monitor a thousand auctions over a certain time period and take averages to really get an idea. Heck, I've seen a Echo twin fetch $1100 on ebay once, but that doesn't mean its worth it.

BTW, isn't that the JD twin that schmuck was tryin' to sell here by spamming posts a few weeks ago? I was glad it didn't go for much....

Yep, it sounds like your CDI module went kaput... I bought one about a year ago for about $85 shipped from Baileys, I bought it from there because they said they would take it back in case I misdiagnosed the problem(most dealers will not take back electrical parts), but I don't know if they're still available from them (or anywhere) for that matter.

Last edited:
1) loose connection somewher 2) short or defect in the kill switch 3) bad coil 4) something I overlooked.
Well I played with it longer than I should have... I disconnected the kill switch and act the same. front cylinder has weak spark and rear cylinder has spark sometimes and sometimes not with plug gap at about 20 thou.or closer. Now factor in compression and maybe neither spark plug is sparking.
"Yep, it sounds like your CDI module went kaput." I didn't want to hear that. Could the magnets have gotten weak? or the unit set to close to the flywheel?
I have other echo and JD saws of the newer style (pointless) that have electrical problems.. was this something that was a common issue with these saws? thanks for info, SNR

Would anybody on here happen to have a couple extra A/V mounts for the 610 / 66sv? I have struck out at all my local dealers & saw shops within 50 miles around here, and Bailey's, and several others online.

Would anybody on here happen to have a couple extra A/V mounts for the 610 / 66sv? I have struck out at all my local dealers & saw shops within 50 miles around here, and Bailey's, and several others online.

I know someone that acquired ones of these saws and was looking for AV mounts ....

He has a two-pronged approach to the issue ... 1) Looking for a parts saw 2) Systematically calling every dealer he can find

Crazy, I know .... but he has found five.

I know someone that acquired ones of these saws and was looking for AV mounts ....

He has a two-pronged approach to the issue ... 1) Looking for a parts saw 2) Systematically calling every dealer he can find

Crazy, I know .... but he has found five.

I wouldn't say thats so crazy. Its pretty much what I have started doing, just thought I'd ask here before I moved on to the 200 mile radius list.

1) loose connection somewher 2) short or defect in the kill switch 3) bad coil 4) something I overlooked.
Well I played with it longer than I should have... I disconnected the kill switch and act the same. front cylinder has weak spark and rear cylinder has spark sometimes and sometimes not with plug gap at about 20 thou.or closer. Now factor in compression and maybe neither spark plug is sparking.
"Yep, it sounds like your CDI module went kaput." I didn't want to hear that. Could the magnets have gotten weak? or the unit set to close to the flywheel?
I have other echo and JD saws of the newer style (pointless) that have electrical problems.. was this something that was a common issue with these saws? thanks for info, SNR

The saw I had had absolutely no spark at all on either cylinder, so I'd check CDI pickup to flywheel gap first. Checking the gap can be a real bugger though, I cut a thin strip of business card to fit in under the ledge in the flywheel, and after the gap was set it can be real fun getting that strip out. I have a service manual that explains the CDI and coil testing procedure, just PM me you email address and I'll send you a copy.

Latest posts

Back