2-man saw thread

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice picture.

As for the scratcher, I'm no expert at all but when Chris brought his over here the first time with the scratcher that he sharpened, I was surprised and impressed with how well it cut.

You better get that chain sharpened alright! Mark or I didn't have to stand on the helper handle that hard to get it cutting and running smooth.

Your picture is making me want to fire up my KB again.

Chris B.

Big old nasty hard to find 2 man chain

Ok fellas lets have a conversation about chain options for these old monsters. Right now my KB has scratcher chain on it and its dull. i can see the factory angles (somewhat) do i also file the tops of the teeth? M Mall #7 has the same scratcher chain on it BUT my buddies mall (that doesnt run at the moment) has semi chisel on it. i need to measure his chain and see if its the same length. is there any sources for this big old chain? I am sure this has been thought of before but would harvester chain work? i need to go out and measure my chain up in the morning to start the hunt. these saws are really cool but if they dont cut then its hard to show them off.

My KB is 3/4'' pitch and .074 guage. I can buy oregon harvester chain at 3/4'' pitch .122 guage. would it be crazy to think i could clearence the bar grooves enough to run this chain? i will have to measure the roller nose and see if there is clearence there and look at the drive sprocket aswell. the shape of the oregon drivers are a little different from the Disston drivers....... i am just thinking out loud and curious what you guys think?

Ok fellas lets have a conversation about chain options for these old monsters. Right now my KB has scratcher chain on it and its dull. i can see the factory angles (somewhat) do i also file the tops of the teeth? M Mall #7 has the same scratcher chain on it BUT my buddies mall (that doesnt run at the moment) has semi chisel on it. i need to measure his chain and see if its the same length. is there any sources for this big old chain? I am sure this has been thought of before but would harvester chain work? i need to go out and measure my chain up in the morning to start the hunt. these saws are really cool but if they dont cut then its hard to show them off.

I haven't rebuilt my KB yet, but someone sent me a sharpening guide for the chain. From what I understand the chain on a Diston is actually called Straddle chain, the scratcher chain is on a mall I believe. I have sharpening guides for both. I can email them to you if you like. Just send me a PM with your email address.

As for replacing the chain, I never looked into this. I have always planned on keeping the original chain on it for the historical value.

All the Disston manuals I have are adamant--you don't sharpen the tops of the cutters.

Far as regrooving for .122; that is a long way to go from .074 gauge. Not sure what guidelines to follow as far as rail thickness, but .122 may not leave much to support the chain.

I got lucky and saw a bunch of lightly used 3/4" loops that had popped up for sale and bought a couple.

'Scratcher' chain may very well be a name coined by Mall, but Straddle refers to the external drivers of a type of Disston chain--has nothing to do with the cutters themselves.

Chris B.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking the type 'L' chain is true 3/4" pitch. My KB6 has the type 'K' chain, and I can feel a very slight pitch mismatch with my Oregon 3/4" chipper. I can't hear much when I pull it around the bar by hand, though.

attachment.php

All the Disston manuals I have are adamant--you don't sharpen the tops of the cutters.

Far as regrooving for .122; that is a long way to go from .074 gauge. Not sure what guidelines to follow as far as rail thickness, but .122 may not leave much to support the chain.

I got lucky and saw a bunch of lightly used 3/4" loops that had popped up for sale and bought a couple.

'Scratcher' chain may very well be a name coined by Mall, but Straddle refers to the external drivers of a type of Disston chain--has nothing to do with the cutters themselves.

Chris B.

For what it's worth, I'm thinking the type 'L' chain is true 3/4" pitch. My KB6 has the type 'K' chain, and I can feel a very slight pitch mismatch with my Oregon 3/4" chipper. I can't hear much when I pull it around the bar by hand, though.

attachment.php

Yeah i have a small disston bar with the straddle chain its a whole different concept.

Chris i was thinking about the ammount of meat left if I reground a .122 groove and i am not sure it would be OK. If bars for these saws were all over the place it would be worth a try...... i dunno i better just sharpen it up and see what happens.

McCulloch model 99... I think

Didn't have enough time to read through the whole thread, but saw the McCulloch 99 mentioned in a couple places. A guy called me yesterday and said he had one he wanted to sell. I didn't need (or want) one real bad, so I shot him a low price on the saw. He ran the usual lines past me 1) it's really old and 2) it was my grandpas, so it must be worth a lot of money. Then he started talking $400 for the saw. No way it's coming home with me for that kind of money. I'm just curious, what is it really worth? Keep in mind it's dirty, almost black with oil and sawdust, but appears to be complete. The chain appears to be almost shot. It does turn over. Both levers still work. Appears to be about a 60" bar.

Thanks
Jeff

Didn't have enough time to read through the whole thread, but saw the McCulloch 99 mentioned in a couple places. A guy called me yesterday and said he had one he wanted to sell. I didn't need (or want) one real bad, so I shot him a low price on the saw. He ran the usual lines past me 1) it's really old and 2) it was my grandpas, so it must be worth a lot of money. Then he started talking $400 for the saw. No way it's coming home with me for that kind of money. I'm just curious, what is it really worth? Keep in mind it's dirty, almost black with oil and sawdust, but appears to be complete. The chain appears to be almost shot. It does turn over. Both levers still work. Appears to be about a 60" bar.

Thanks
Jeff

Aside from the usual stuff (has compression and spark), just because it's old or was his grandpa's doesn't add any value. If it is complete and otherwise as described, I'd not go over $200 .... and I've been casually looking for one; just not ready for one this time of year.

:(

My older brother picked up a 99 for $100, non running. When I finally sorted through some of the stuff I have I found a NOS diaphragm for the carburetor, last I knew his had been transformed into a runner.

Personally I don't have any space for a two man saw so they are very low value to me, I have had a few offers to take some but so far I have resisted.

I would say that $100 to $200 is reasonable, anything beyond that means the guy getting it has a great desire to own a 2 man McCulloch.

By the way, the 99 is 9.8 In³ or 161 cc...

Mark

I feel the same way about the two man saw - just really not interested in having something that takes up that much space. That's why I only offered him $50 for it. I told him he could probably get a lot more for it if he could find a collector that was interested in two man saws. He called me this morning to thank me for the advice. He said he got a hold of a guy from Canada that owned a museum and the guy offered him $350 for it and would pay for the shipping. I guess I should have offered him a little more!

Jeff

That will be a $500 saw by the time it lands in the cold...

Mark

Like you said, the buyer must have a great desire to own a two man McCulloch. I can't imagine that saw being worth that much to anyone. In my opinion, they have no practical value given the saws available today. If I could buy one cheap or get one free, I'd hang it on the wall for a conversation piece. For that kind of money, I could buy a good used 70-80cc modern saw that's ready to go do some work.

Jeff

Like you said, the buyer must have a great desire to own a two man McCulloch. I can't imagine that saw being worth that much to anyone. In my opinion, they have no practical value given the saws available today. If I could buy one cheap or get one free, I'd hang it on the wall for a conversation piece. For that kind of money, I could buy a good used 70-80cc modern saw that's ready to go do some work.

Jeff

There are plenty of two-man saws that will perform jobs on big wood that would scare modern 70-80cc away. Remember you heard it here first.
Igpoe:cheers:

There are plenty of two-man saws that will perform jobs on big wood that would scare modern 70-80cc away. Remember you heard it here first.

I wasn't suggesting that a 70-80cc saw could do the work of a 160cc two man saw. I was making the point that, for the money involved, I could buy a good used professional saw that I would find practical for doing some work, keeping in mind that I don't usually have any help. I tend to steer clear of "big wood" because I don't have the equipment or the help to tackle it.

And cheers to you too!
Jeff

I wasn't suggesting that a 70-80cc saw could do the work of a 160cc two man saw. I was making the point that, for the money involved, I could buy a good used professional saw that I would find practical for doing some work, keeping in mind that I don't usually have any help. I tend to steer clear of "big wood" because I don't have the equipment or the help to tackle it.

And cheers to you too!
Jeff

I have been in your situation and fully understand where you're coming from. When provided lemons we suffer our selves to make the most of it by drinking lemonaide. Fortunately, it's a barley malt and hops libation which is better suited to my fancy nowdays. I hope as much for you.
Dean:cheers:

I have been in your situation and fully understand where you're coming from. When provided lemons we suffer our selves to make the most of it by drinking lemonaide. Fortunately, it's a barley malt and hops libation which is better suited to my fancy nowdays. I hope as much for you.
Dean:cheers:

Indeed!

Jeff

The real difference is if you had to work every day with those yellow dinosours , i think the 70cc saw is the best pick , when you decide to do a undercut i think the two man team would be scared.

david :hmm3grin2orange::hmm3grin2orange:

Jeff

I don't think you have the CAD bad enough yet to appreciate two man saws. I have four now and only have had one running and never ever cut with any of them yet! Hopefully at the Iowa GTG in April I will get to try my 99. The are very impressive to look at and talk about but, I would rather use my 031 for firewood duty!

Ray

I don't think you have the CAD bad enough yet to appreciate two man saws. I have four now and only have had one running and never ever cut with any of them yet! Hopefully at the Iowa GTG in April I will get to try my 99. The are very impressive to look at and talk about but, I would rather use my 031 for firewood duty!

Ray

I would definitely want to be on the engine end of any of those two man saws. There's something about the other end that just doesn't look safe.

Jeff

I would definitely want to be on the engine end of any of those two man saws. There's something about the other end that just doesn't look safe.

Jeff

The only unsafe condition that I know of comes as a result of the man on the motor end wanting to start the cut without the tranny against the wood.

Latest posts

Back