2 saw plan

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tnshaker

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
If you could only have 2 work saws without mods, what would they be? I vote for the Dolmar 5100 for the power it has for the weight and to me ultra smooth. It just seems to have power everywhere for a 50cc saw. I actually like it more that my 550xp by the slightest of margins. Plus it is a great value and just looks good. For a bigger saw I like the Stihl 440 magnum. It is not as fast as a 372xp but seems to have such a broad smooth powerband with lots of grunt on the bottom. What do you guys think?

I like my 576xp for the power and the broad power band and a 346xp since you said no mods. Otherwise I'd have said my jonsered 2141 with ported 346xp top end.

Loco

McCulloch 10-10A(50+cc) and for the bigger saw either a McC SP81E or a CP70. Depending on what I was cutting.

50 cc & 70 cc

First off there isn't a two saw plan

It's called C.A.D. !

I agree! That is why I have 3 50cc saws! I however, am having a hard time making myself like my new 550xp more than my 5100. Just can't seem to do it. The Dolmar just acts like a bigger saw when I want it to and keeps me from having to grab a bigger saw. The 550xp just does not seem to have that ability. If I have the 5100 in my hands I tend to use it for everything that is not overly large. When I am running my 550 xp if things increase in size I am looking for a 440 magnum pretty fast!

Last edited:
Awwwww....7900 Dolmar! Never had the chance to run one. Might even make me lose my fondness for the 440 magnum. What do you think?

I will stick with saws in current production (to make the decision easier on myself)...

550XP and 372XT (or 365 to save a couple bucks)

I use a Husky 272XP and a Husky 385XP for firewood getting.

I have other saws, but they are just to "play" with..

the saws I depend on are my 272 and 385.

I get wood for myself, my mother and some in-laws

And a 60cc saw for backup in case something happens to either saw.

I like three of each class for back-ups :msp_w00t:

I get wood for myself, my mother and some in-laws

I also supply wood for other house holds and carry back up's (just in case) I usually carry 40 cc; at least one 50 cc and either 60 cc or 70 cc while cutting firewood

Back