2-Stroke Oil Magical Mystery Tour

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

max2cam

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I went down below to the city for a week and had wonderful shopping opportunities. Trying to find the PERFECT 2-stroke oil, I hunted around for different brands and bought a few for the heck of it.

One that caught my eye was Citgo Supergard Air-cooled 2-Stroke oil for $2.50 per quart. I would have steered clear of it (too cheap) except on the bottle this oil is listed as a synthetic blend that meets ISO EGD and JASO FC standards.

How can you top that?

Now you can tell me why I'll ruin my saws using it.....

Also picked up some vastly more expensive Opti-2 (10 oz for $6.50!), some Husky oil (also EGD rated), and some Valvoline 2-stroke motorcycle oil (unrated) that had a terrific description on the bottle (2-stroke motorcycles have got to be hammered as hard or harder than any chainsaw engine).

Tried to find the magical MX2T oil but no one carried it or had ever heard of it (including AutoZone where I was told it is sold).

http://www.atthecreation.com/

I use MX2T and I get at auto zone. Its good stuff I am sure you could find it on the internet if you looked around. I dont think you could wrong with any that you mentioned. I will say this running MX2T greatly extended the life of my saw probably close to 35%. I cut on a daily basis and its well worth using I mix it at 32:1.........Good luck Wade

im usin my first 2 1/2 gallons of 93and mxt2 at 40 to 1. seems to work great.
its hard to say its an improvement ,as the stihl mix worked great.
i like some of the reports of syn oil though.
my lazer mower hydralics run with 2 quarts of mobil 1- 15-50 syn.
this compared to other makes of ztrs that take gallons, sometimes of hydralic fluid to keep them cool enough.
to me cooler means longer life on most machines, in use .jmo again

Hello max, The citgo stuff you mentioned is the same product as echo's premium oil. Its vastly superior to husky and stihls standard oils, but not as good as mx2t. You can get mx2t from www.avlube.com . the price is a little cheaper than autozone, but with the shiping it works out the same. I would stear clear of opti. Their website uses so much psuedo science that you would swear its the stuff used in the starship enterprise. The valvoline stuff isnt in the same league as mx2t and costm more. MX2t is a carboxyl ester based oil that sells for bargain prices so it is tuff to beat. I just ordered 3 cases myself.

I feel like I should elaborate more on this subject. I cut timber for a living like many others on this site. My saw of choice right now happens to be the 372 powertuned by Madsens. This is the fifth 372 I have ran but the first I have ran on MX2T at 32:1. I have been getting somewhere between 750,000Ft and 850,000ft per saw before I need to replace the rings it wasn't that the saw was going to lay down it's just that I noticed some power loss which is going to happen. With this saw I am currently a little over a million Ft and still running pretty strong all though it wont be long before I give it a freshening up. When you pull the plug and look at the top of the piston it is clean no carbon at all and it idles smoother than the others,when I put the tach on it, it didnt spike up and down nears as much as the others and that was the case for all the other saws I had that I switched over to MX2T as well, I would strongly reccomend it and anybody that tells you its bad for your saw just dont know what they are talking about enjoy the extra life..............Wade

Yep, I have tried it myself & love it. No smoke, burns clean-no deposits.

I'll buy anything if it will make my equipment last longer.

I didn't realize until now the MX2T was actually sold as a motorcycle oil or I would have tried motorcycle shops too.

Someday I'll get some but first I'll use up what I have (and bookmark the MX2T webpage).

The Citgo stuff appears to be at least part synthetic as it says so on the bottle.

Will MX2T mixed at 32:1 work well in the older 70's & 80's saws designed for the 32:1 mixes of that era?

Currently I have two containers of 2-cycle mix, 50:1 for my Stihls & Huskys and 32:1 for tinkering with my old Homelites.

This would simplify things if I could use 32:1 MX2T in all the saws.

Anyone have a recommendation?

Mike

Shooter,
I couldn't imagine you have any problems. All my two stroke motors have been switched over to MX2T at 32:1 and I have had no problems. You'd think BWalker and myself were employed by Mobil as much good plugging we do for their product! Anyway like I said earlier enjoy the extended life you will be recieving now because you switched over to MX2T...............Happy sawing, Wade

Every once in awhile you stumble upon a great product at a reasonable price. MX2T is one of these. it is priced cheaper than the oem mix oils, but is second to none as far as quality goes.

The MX2T is not distributed widely enough. I tried finding some when I was in the city but had no luck. Yes, I know I can order it online and may end up doing that. I'm going back to the city end of month and will probably look for MX2T again.

Why ain't it more available?

Every autozone I have been in has it. If they do not they can surely order it. The new location I live in doesnt have any AZ's so I just order it from avlube. It actually comes out cheaper ordering it from them.

ok, how do you accurately pull the exact amount out of a quart for a 40:1 mix? What are you guys using to measure? I have tried several things with no success.Also do any of you guys run octane boost in your fuel mix?-Matt

I use a ratio rite to get my mix correct. I use MX2T at 32:1 in my 372XP. I would use K2, but no one around here carries it, I wasn't worried enough about it to order it on line. MX2T is working good for me.

The Ratio-rite isn't expensive and is available at my local Wal-mart. Personally I just use the measuring chamber on one of the bottles of manufacturers oil (the 19.6 oz or similar bottles that you squeeze to 'pump' the oil up into a metering chamber)

I have never explored the possibility of mixing fuel with other than the 1 gallon Stihl mix. I usually like to mix 2 gallons at a time (it will usually las a weekend cutting trip or two) because I am not producing timber (see name). I will have to look for a ratio rite, because I am always looking for new ways to wrench more life from my saws. Thanks for the help-Matt

Are you aware, Matt, that MX2T is "colorless"?  At least that's the last I've heard about it.

I'm more than a little reluctant to use fuel that isn't obviously 2-stroke pre-mix in a 2-stroke-cycle engine.  I don't think I've ever fetched gas to my pre-mix can and not already had the oil in the can at the time, but I'd hate like hell to mess up and leave it out.  A double mix (or more) of oil wouldn't be as bad as no oil, but I'd hate to do that too.

Good luck.

Glen

I got my ratio rite at a local bike shop, my walmart didn't have any. They are cheap.

The MX2T is not colorless, but it is harder to see if you don't look close and are used to other oil that has lots of dye in it.

Personally I have just one gas can for my chainsaw gas and I always mix it when I fill it with fresh gas so I don't have to worry if I put oil in or not.

Back