All JASO rated 2 cycle oils list.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BuckMKII

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
While researching JASO FD rated oils this morning I came across the official JASO webpage showing all the oils that are certified either FB, FC, and or FD. The list is current and was updated 1 May 2015. Some of you guys may want to check the link out so here it is. http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

I currently have a few oils in my shed. Of the ones I have, Motul 710 is the only one officially rated FD. The Stihl HP Ultra (supposedly rated FB) is not on the official list. Also have oils marked "Meets JASO FD & ISO-L-EGD specifications" but not officially tested.

Used motor oil from my Cummins diesel, mixed at 16:1. I've piss-revved all my saws at least once on this mixture, so I see no reason to switch to something else. Now, I don't use any of my saws to cut actual wood... But I'm sure that it would be fine in a commercial setting, as well.

Why the hell are we talking about oil, again?
:dumb:

I wouldn't get to hung up on the FB/EGB/FC/EGC/FD/EGD ratings... the difference in them has little or nothing to do with lubricity, it's mostly about the detergency.
Really, not much except the amount of "soap" has changed since the FB/EGB rating (and maybe a little less smoke for the FC/EGC rating).

Specifications for Two Stroke Oil
  • NMMA TC-W3 – two cycle water-cooled, third generation. TC-W3 obsoletes TC-W & TC-WII. Oils with this spec do not use metal based additives, and are ashless. This is an outboard specific spec.
  • API TC – only API spec established for two cycle engines. It regulates lubricity, detergency, ash content & pre-ignition. Oils with this spec are typically using metal based, ash producing additives.
  • JASO FA – original spec established regulating lubricity, detergency, initial torque, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking.
  • JASO FB – increased lubricity, detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FA.
  • JASO FC – lubricity and initial torque requirements same as FB, however far higher detergency, exhaust smoke and exhaust system blocking requirements over FB.
  • JASO FD - same as FC with far higher detergency requirement.
  • ISO-L-EGB – same tests and requirements as JASO FB.
  • ISO-L-EGC – same tests and slightly higher detergency requirements (piston varnish) as JASO FC.
  • ISO-L-EGD – same tests and requirements as JASO FD.

www.rm-e.no/media/two-stroke-oil.pdf

It claims to be like many others, and it very well might be but Amsoil doesn't pay something like $40K to be rated so they just say it meets the guidelines.
Yep... commonly the words are "Meets or Exceeds"... but not actually spent the big bucks to be tested and rated by JASO, ISO, or whatever.

Used motor oil from my Cummins diesel, mixed at 16:1. I've piss-revved all my saws at least once on this mixture, so I see no reason to switch to something else. Now, I don't use any of my saws to cut actual wood... But I'm sure that it would be fine in a commercial setting, as well.

Why the hell are we talking about oil, again?
:dumb:
Don't you have a saw to go polish?

Latest posts

Back