Question about JASO ratings?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
But its all good. My goldendoodle tells me not to sweat the small stuff. I figurę I figurę I can take that advice to the bank because that aint in my mind.

I always thought that a full synthetic oil was a better oil in general.
Meh, that's oil thread territory. I just go with the performance rating - how it performed rather than worrying about how it got there or who sold it.

I always thought that a full synthetic oil was a better oil in general.
It is the same principle as in 4 stroke engine oil. The base oil is only one part in the product. In 4 stroke oil the base oil is only ~ 80% and the additives are ~20%. I don't know the percentage amounts in 2 stroke oil but I believe it to be less.
I can get locally semi synthetic two stroke oil with the same highest ratings (API TC, JASO FC/FD, ISO L-EGD) but prefer full synthetic. Also because the price difference is minimal(~1€/L) in my eyes.

I was just wondering about the labeling process, and where people find the ratings even if not posted on the bottles.

This is the current list of 2 cycle oils that have been tested and their assigned performance classification. The list is updated on or about the 1st of every month.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

I do have 1 related question: does the European standard for what can be labeled as a "synthetic" oil still differ from that in the US?

This is the current list of 2 cycle oils that have been tested and their assigned performance classification. The list is updated on or about the 1st of every month.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf

I do have 1 related question: does the European standard for what can be labeled as a "synthetic" oil still differ from that in the US?
There are also oils that would meet the standard but have no rating as the companys involved are small & mostly just blendrather than produce base stock & can not afford the cost involved in the test, this is not a problem if you know the company( I used a non rated oil in my race bikes with no problems with cleaner internals & equal or less wear than rated oils) but for any one wanting piece of mind stick with the rated product of your choice. Most of the 2T oil here (FRANCE) states 100% synthetic, not sure of the % before it is rated as Semi or blended Synthetic

It is important to always read and understand, also between the lines, the full text on the bottle. There is the marketing department which don't care what's inside also and wright anything gloriuos on it as long as it sell. Typical would be "Synthetic oil, synthetic blend, Semi synthetic...." as symbolic names for a blend of synthetic oils and non synthetic oils. How high the components are, nobody knows! If the bottle has written "full synthetic..." then the assumption is very high that it truely is full synthetic oil.
As I said before it is the mix that makes a good 2 stroke oil! Not a single component. And this is reflected by the norms. But still that doesn 't mean that somewher out there is a undetected better oil... :)

I got a liter of Ipone oil today its JASO FD rated and smells tooty fruity like strawberries

Sent from my Autotune Carb

Back