2 Stroke V8

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
They were a 4.0L V8. Built late 80's to early '90's. Pretty torquey engines. Had some head gasket issues. Couldn't run them with a primer bulb in the fuel line,drank to much, it would restrict the fuel at WOT and cause possible power head damage.

Sounds awesome. Love the way the bigger 2 strokes sound out of water (with jackets on of course.)

Detroit made 2 cycle diesels back in the day. Some models you could get a V-24, they're a thing of the past though sadly...

The guy logging my father in laws farm has quite a few of them. He has one in one of the skidders and one on the loader plus a garage full of parts and blocks. It's a neat design, they have a blower/supercharger instead of a turbo that most of the diesels have today. They have to have the supercharger just to start and run. I think the one on the skidder is a 3-53 and from what I remember him telling me makes about 80 horsepower.

I had a 8v92 TTA in a dump truck in front of an Allison...the thing howled as only a Detroit could do, and would keep up with traffic stop light to stop light at 56,000lbs....amazing thing. Sold it to a Dairy farmer out in Colorado when I moved out here. Also had this old Ex-Wyoming State Highway snow plow truck with a short 13ft dump box on 44,000 Hendrickson's...had a 5x4 splitter & ear splitting 6v53T ..... couldn't kill it, sold it in a farm auction when we moved as well...used it to spread on the foothills in the front range.....so 2-strokes come in all shapes and sizes!

Detroit made 2 cycle diesels back in the day. Some models you could get a V-24, they're a thing of the past though sadly...
I've got a massive DD crush at the moment and simply MUST have a 6v53 for my IHC C1800. But that aside, I'm pretty sure the US army still uses 6v53T in some areas, pretty sure they're an all alloy version with turbo (obv.), aftercooler and I think up to 500hp. Not bad for a 318cu diesel using 1930s technology.

Latest posts

Back