200 yr old Pin oak support

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

yazz100

Reaction score
Hi, I have a 200 year old Pinocchio tree it’s in decline… We’ve been trimming off deadwood yearly. The arborist I was working with left the company and the person who took his place I don’t really trust very much… I feel he took over just to increase sales.
He’s suggesting to fertilize the tree now and I was wondering if that’s a good idea or not. I do want to interject. I did tell him during the summer I had gotten fertilizer from a company called tree help and it’s an oak tree fertilizer in three steps it was some kind of bio stimulant thing some kind of fertilizer that I had to put in plugs throughout the backyard and then something else that I had to do in two stages. Well, I know it took about 2.5-3 months to complete the process. I asked him if it should have fertilizer after doing that when the last step of the fertilizer was in August he said it doesn’t matter that I don’t understand… Any thoughts? I’m trying to save her. she’s spurt now a lot of new growth on the bottom, seems like she’s trying to live and I’m trying to help her. Any advice would be helpful.

I would reach out to my local soil and water conservation office. I have gotten to know mine quite well and have had them out a couple times. They may even want to come out for a field visit to lay eyes on the 200 year old survivalist! They seem to be a wealth of knowledge, paid for by our tax dollars.
Found this link for NJ:
https://www.nj.gov/agriculture/divisions/anr/pdf/soilconservationdistricts2017.pdf

Back