2001 BC1230 or 1999 Bandit 1890

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GlenWimpy

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Which one should I buy? What are the Pro's and Con's?

2001 BC1230 , 750 hours for 11K

1999 Bandit 1890 , 2400 hours or 12.5K

Thanks

Huge difference. One's a 12" disc, the other is 18" drum. Much heavier. Bandit will eat anything, and last.

But 12" is plenty large enough for most of us.

The Vermeer is an outdated design....vertical feed rollers means the material can be pulled sideways as it goes in...caution needed. A lot of 1250 and 1230's were made.....overall, I'd not want one, but think they are well made and reliable.

I have a 1890 bandit. For those who don't know it is a drum chipper. It is a 2001 year model. JUNK JUNK JUNK! I did have a 280 xp bandit HD and it was a disk. You can't compare a disk to a drum but the 280 was a night and day comparison. To make this short, Brush Bandit does not have a few of the patents on the drum chipper design so they just didn't (and as much as I can tell), don't have the best technology. I would never buy a Brush Bandit drum chipper. First, logs get caught in the infeed area (opening is wider than blade area) also, the blades don't over lap on the drum face so as the drum turns there are areas on the face that NEVER have a blade to chip the wood, a sorry design.

I look at little harsh on that post but stand by it. I asked many people and dealers what was best for a chipper drum or disk, I got no answer and got that chipper(at best it was worth 15,000 paid 30,000. Not to be forgotten soon. You live and learn but I really hope some one doesn't repeat that mistake). Maybe other machines are good but I won't ever buy one. Odd behavior, well, I posted - I believe, that I didn't like that style machine twice, possibly copy and pasted it. Still true. What possibly could I gain? Nothing, what will people gain from reading it? I hope they ask many questions and actually test and use a machine before using. And I changed my profile, odd yes but not sure what I will learn and I don't like having to pay to mention about my business. A person learns a lot running a business and can't share it for free.

On the flip side I have a04 bandit 1890 it is a great chipper. Takes the big logs. I don't have any issues with logs not going through unless they are too big.
It works great to me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

On the flip side I have a04 bandit 1890 it is a great chipper. Takes the big logs. I don't have any issues with logs not going through unless they are too big.
It works great to me.

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk
Same here , I have had an 1890 for 12 years and still going fine. Nothing major has ever broken , the last repair was a cyl clevis that raises the top feeder wheel via a hyd piston ,it was around 100.00. Also you need to keep an eye on the frame for cracks ,this machine is very heavy. The cracks can easily be fixed with plates or braces, dont just weld the crack.

Latest posts

Back