2016 MS361 roll call, who's still got one?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wood4heat

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
The 361 was my first saw and has been keeping my family warm since 2006. There may now be better performing saws but no one can deny the 361 it's place in 60cc history! Truely a pivotal saw in Stihl's lineup.

So who else here has one? When did you get it, what do you use it for, what have you done to it, etc... Pictures welcome!

I bought mine brand new with a 25" es bar in 2006. I cut anywhere from 3 - 5 cord of a mix of Doug fir, maple, or alder each year. I upgraded to the 460 bar studs with the larger shoulder but that's it. I've always wanted to do the Lakeside muffler mod and swap the oiler piston and control bolt for the 460 parts to increase output but haven't yet. Too many other projects and the 361 just keeps cutting as it is!

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

by wood4heat on Arboristsite.com

So let's hear about yours, it's been a while since AS has had a proper MS361 thread!

I have had one since August just before a tropical storm came through and it did great during that cleanup. Since I aquired a 460 and most recently, a 660 (mainly for milling) I'm thinking of dumping the 361 for a 260 or 240 class saw as my general purpose.

I do not deny that it is quite good though. Mine is muffler modded and carb screw limiter deleted and has decent power for the package it comes in.

I also have a MS 361-W with heated handles and bought it at the end of 2010. When I have wet gloves the heated handles are a pleasure, but they can also burn up your fingers while doing heavy cutting. Mostly I use it for cutting fire wood and I like the saw very much. It`s very handy, light and powerful for the 60cc class and I use it in stock form.

I did what earlthegoat is thinking of doing. Had a nice 361, bought a 460, sold the 361. It was a really nice saw, but a bigger one and a smaller one works better for me. Sometimes I miss is though. Running my 036 makes me feel a little better. :)

Here's a picture of mine. rps20161106_051827_121.jpg

If I had to have one saw, that probably would have been it. Get a 16", 20", and 25" bar for it, and have at it.

Love me some 361. The one I have now I got off the trading post a while back. It's kinda minty so I don't use it much. The 260 and 440 are my go to saws so not much need for her but I love her none the less. As Ryan stated if I had to choose one and all I did was cut firewood it'd be the 361.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Got mine several years ago with 20" bar. Paid $519 new. Still all original except the limiters are removed, oiler set at max. and double dogs added. Nice quiet running saw with plenty of power and I wouldn't change a thing on it. If I need more power or longer bar, I go to my Makita 8400 or Mac SP125.

Still have mine. Occasional firewood user. Not a whole lot of use but love the saw.
Bought it new with the 3/4 wrap, large side cover and double dogs.
Had Andy do his muffler magic to it.
0705081801a.jpg

Still my favorite that I will never sell:

Thanks, Mr. Bush, for that stimulus check.

I remember googling Stihl MS361 years ago and these are this pictures that popped up. I just googled it again and they're still some of the first images you get!

I got one the year they were discontinued. When was that - 2008? 2010? I got it BECAUSE they were going to be discontinued. I've never used it.

I wanted to like every post in this thread but this one was tough. Having a 361 and never using it is kind of like having a toy you never play with. Haven't you seen Toy Story??? :laugh:

Latest posts

Back