Which big saw: ported 460, 066, ported 066? Help spend my money!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ryan'smilling

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Alright guys, I need your advice. I figure that's fair, since I'm only in this position because of you guys anyway :). If it weren't for AS, I'd still be happily sawing away with my ms361. Those days are gone forever...

I have a real nice ms 460 that I've only had for a year and a half. I bought it from the original owner. It's got a couple scratches, but never been used commercially. It's a half-wrap, non-west coast version. I cut a lot of firewood for personal use and for my business (making maple syrup). Much of the wood I deal with is 24"+ red oak, ash, white oak, and sugar maple. The 460 is great, it's a big step up from my 361, but I'm ready for something a little more fun. The 460 does the job, but i want a saw that's hard to bog down. Something that'll run a 36" bar on occasion and pull a 24" with a LOT of extra power. I want to grin ear to ear when I run it, and I'd like my friends who are used to Farm Bosses to come away with jaws dropped after cutting a cookie with it. That's reasonable, right? ;)

I guess I also want it to be a work saw. I don't want a piped 088 race saw (well, it's not that I don't want one...) I want something I can cut wood with for years to come. I also probably won't be buying another big saw. Not for a few years anyway. Any of my options will represent a large investment in chainsaws for me, and I'll be keeping this saw for the foreseeable future.

So, my options:

1. Send the 460 to tree-monkey. He's right down the road from me. I know he builds a mean saw, and I'd like to support his business.

2. Trade my 460 for a 90cc saw. There's a guy near me who wants to trade his west-coast 066 for my 460. I'd probably have to toss in a few extra bucks. Less than a hundred. It's in real nice shape, but he hurt his back and can't start out easily. This is the cheapest option.

3. Trade for a 90cc saw AND have that ported. Obviously this is the most expensive option, but only by a small amount. I still want to send business to our banana-eating friend, and this is also obviously the most jaw dropping option.

So there's the choices as I see them. To me, the weight isn't a big concern. I'm a big guy and I have lighter saws. This will be my mature-hardwood-felling saw, plus my go to saw for bucking wood over 18". I'd love any advice you feel like contributing.

Thanks, as always.

Hard to beat an 066. Covert it back to half wrap, sell the west coast parts and you'd probably break even on that trade. Of course if it was me I'd go with option 3. That is until the wife found out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hard to beat an 066. Covert it back to half wrap, sell the west coast parts and you'd probably break even on that trade. Of course if it was me I'd go with option 3. That is until the wife found out.

Right, there is that problem...

Generally she's fine with my wood cutting purchases. Between our house, my dad's place, and the syrup cooker, I cut about 15 cords/year. Gotta have the right tools for the job, right? She gets that. We haven't talked about sending a saw off to get a performance upgrade, but I think it's a reasonable idea.

Sounds like you already have your self sold on the ported 066. Just go for it, you certainly won't regret it.

36" bar is 90cc territory, the max for a strong 460 is 32" in hardwoods and more realistically 28" if you are going to be running it a lot.

I would trade it for the 066 and have it ported. A ported 90cc saw is something to behold!

well I got an 044 and 660 both ported. I grab the 044 first. only get out 660 when needed. 044 is light enough to me, to work with and not wear you out. but the 660 I got is a beast though. its like an anchor.lol

I've got all 3. The 066 is pure pleasure to run but I find myself reaching for the 440 9 out of 10 times. The poor 046 is neglected.

Keep the 460 and buy a ported Husky 394/395. If you want to have a dedicated 36" saw IMO it's the 394. The trading post sometimes has has good deals on already ported saws.

I see you have milling in your name...would you be using the saw on a mill? If so, I would definitely agree with the 394/395 suggestion...those are some of the best saws out there for milling.

The other lighter saws I have I think will do the lighter weight duties of the 460. I honestly anticipate running a 20" bar on this saw 80% of the time. I certainly don't need a dedicated 36" bar saw. I just want something that makes me really really happy when cutting 24" oak into firewood. My 036 is a real nice firewood saw up to about 16-18" material. Currently I bust out the 460 pretty often for bucking, and every time I fell a large tree. I am thinking that an 066 with a 20-24" bar will still be a manageable bucking saw. Does anyone think that's not the case?

No, I won't be using this saw for milling. I have a band saw mill, which is the reason for my moniker.

I wish I could also keep the 460, but that's just not gonna happen. I am really curious to try having a saw ported. I could swing having one or the other worked on, but not if I purchase both, unfortunately. :(

Don't sell your 460 , you will regret that for sure . Just get a 066/660 or a Husky 394/5 and you'll be sorted . I repeat do not get rid of your 460 !!

There's no replacemnt for displacement.

Even if you get the 460 ported, the 066 will still outshine it under certain circumstances, like with a very long bar. It's 15cc's larger.

I'd say grab the 066, do a muff mod and retune, then have your 036 ported at a later date. I cut wood all day with my ported 036 and a 20". It will outcut a stock 046 and even made over .5 hp more than one on the chainsaw Dyno.

Here's a few ported 036's

Hell my ported 2260 outcut my buddies stock 066 both wearing 20" bars cutting same size wood and the 2260 is way lighter. Get the 046 monkeyed with and if your not happy with it wearing a 20" bar you've got issues.

The other lighter saws I have I think will do the lighter weight duties of the 460. I honestly anticipate running a 20" bar on this saw 80% of the time. I certainly don't need a dedicated 36" bar saw. I just want something that makes me really really happy when cutting 24" oak into firewood. My 036 is a real nice firewood saw up to about 16-18" material. Currently I bust out the 460 pretty often for bucking, and every time I fell a large tree. I am thinking that an 066 with a 20-24" bar will still be a manageable bucking saw. Does anyone think that's not the case?

No, I won't be using this saw for milling. I have a band saw mill, which is the reason for my moniker.

I wish I could also keep the 460, but that's just not gonna happen. I am really curious to try having a saw ported. I could swing having one or the other worked on, but not if I purchase both, unfortunately. :(

I've been using my 390xp with a 24" bar for bucking large rounds and it puts a grin on my face every time!

You could probably get away with using a 36" bar and full skip with a ported 460 occasionally, but I would still rather have a 90cc.

If it was me I'd find a 064 and send it to Tree Monkey. He builds a very stout saw. Seems that 064's go for a lot less than 066/660's and you could put the savings towards something else.

Okay, here's the update.

The guy with 066 apparent didn't discuss swapping saws with his son. :( So, he's gonna keep that 066. Too bad, but it's sometimes nice to have fewer options instead of more. It was a real nice looking saw, though.

So, I think the choice is a monkeyed-with 460 for now. I spoke with Scott a few days ago. Sounds like he's back at it, and has a few saws lined up. I'm not in a hurry, but hopefully I'll have the saw out and back by January, which is when I cut a lot of wood.

I do really like that 460, and I'm glad not to send it down the road. I'm sure after another couple of years, I'll be able to justify a ported 90cc saw when a nice one comes up here.

Anyway, thanks everyone for your input! I'll be sure to post a thread with some before and after clips once I get the saw back.

Ryan

Latest posts

Back