201t

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just ordered mine yesterday (201T), time to replace the old tired 338xp. I should have it by friday.:msp_biggrin:

Here are the specs for both old and new models.Both from official stihl sites.
STIHL - THE NEW STIHL MS 201 T
200 A To Z Rentals - Bradenton, FL 34207 Bradenton - Florida
MS 200 T Chain Saw Specifications
DISPLACEMENT 35.2 cc (2.15 cu. in.)
ENGINE POWER 1.6 kW (2.1 bhp)
WEIGHT
(powerhead only) 3.6 kg (7.9 lbs)
FUEL CAPACITY 370 cc (12.5 oz.)
CHAIN OIL CAPACITY 240 cc (8.1 oz.)
OILOMATIC® CHAIN 3/8" PMC3
RECOMMENDED
RANGE OF
GUIDE BAR
LENGTHS 30 to 40 cm
(12" to 16")
STIHL
ROLLOMATIC® E
or STIHL
ROLLOMATIC® E Light
STIHL recommends #3636 (63 PMC3 50) OILOMATIC® saw chain and 14" 3005 000 7409 Ematic™ guide bar combination

Displacement (cm3) 35.2
Power output (kW / hp) 1.8/2.4
Torque (Nm)
[at speed] (rpm) 1.75
[7500]
Weight (kg)* 3.7
Sound pressure level** (dB(A)) 98
Sound power level** (dB(A)) 114
Vibration level*** left/right (m/s2) 3.5 / 3.1
Oilomatic saw chain Pitch
Type
3/8" P
PS3

Rollomatic bars
(bar length, cm / inch)**** 30 / 12
35 / 14
Volume fuel tank / oil tank (cm3) 310 / 220
STIHL 2-MIX engine •
STIHL anti-vibration system •
STIHL ElastoStart •
Microprocessor ignition •
Safe and secure scabbard •
Recessed carry ring •
Secured sprocket cover nut •
STIHL side-mounted chain tensioning •
STIHL filling system •
STIHL Ematic chain lubrication system •

* Without fuel, guide bar or saw chain
** K factor according to Dir. 2006/42/EC = 2.5 dB(A)
*** K factor according to Dir. 2006/42/EC = 2 m/s2
**** Bar length: In practice, the actual bar length available for cutting may be less than the stated bar length.

Not lighter acording to what stihl says,just a smidge heavier but a smidge more power and a bit less capacity on the tanks.
Should be a good saw but I have 2 200Ts and just had to buy a new MS460 so it will be quite awhile before I can test one myself.

edit: oops,I placed the link for the new 201 in the first text box,sorry.

Last edited:
Eventually I will have to switch...but as a forestry climber my saw takes a lot of abuse.... a lot of knocking around and constant cutting all day. Yesterday I was in the trees all day...topped and pruned about 30 trees.....about six hours before hitting the ground...I know the 200t can take this abuse...and in my limited capacity I can tinker on it and have spare parts...the 201 is a new saw...I'm always sceptical about buying a new prototype saw...many people are....the 200 is kinda like the 372 husky...guys love that saw despite the fact the newer models such as the 575 and 576 have come it....plus the boxy looking 200 is so retro....

Eventually I will have to switch...but as a forestry climber my saw takes a lot of abuse.... a lot of knocking around and constant cutting all day. Yesterday I was in the trees all day...topped and pruned about 30 trees.....about six hours before hitting the ground...I know the 200t can take this abuse...and in my limited capacity I can tinker on it and have spare parts...the 201 is a new saw...I'm always sceptical about buying a new prototype saw...many people are....the 200 is kinda like the 372 husky...guys love that saw despite the fact the newer models such as the 575 and 576 have come it....plus the boxy looking 200 is so retro....

The "prototype" is not what the 201T is. The 201T is a factory production saw.

You'll love it considering karate chopping through a tree is better than cutting it with a 338XPT.:msp_w00t:

HAHA...Ya I've heard nothing but good things about the 200t so im gonna give the new 201t a try, but I must admit I bought the husky new in 06 and its still slinging chips so it's done good fer me. I'll let you know what its like in a few day's!!!!!:rock:

hmmm....I dunno...

Not particularly fond of some of the 192 styling cues it's taken. :( Right off hand: The retainer screw for the air filter cover should be flush like the old 200T, and I don't care at all for the choke/run/kill switch. Whole thing just smacks of 192 to me....and I'm not particularly impressed with the durability of that machine. Why oh why must we continue messing about with things that don't need messed with? ~sigh~ At least we'll save a world-wide total of 40 cow farts worth of emissions with the new design. :laugh:

Dont care for the 201...... I test ran one Saturday & as for the low end torque......its not the same as the 200, I agree about the 192 styling cues too..........Hate em!! the handle sucks, that stupid spring which joins it to the body just sucks, air cleaner cover...sucks, on/off & choke...up in the air on it as the 200 & 020 you could choke em off when cutting in a tight crotch!

Over all...........it will be better than what the other line ups offer But......it is definately cheaper built!!! I guess Ill just keep rebuilding my favorite saw untill there is no more left in er!!!!

LXT...............

I bought one of the last two 200Ts at my local saw shop bout a week ago. If I had the extra coin I woulda bought em both. I really dont even need the one I bought but figured I should grab will the getins good. There will be plenty of time to get 201s......

Good vid Lonewolf. I mean that too. It was interesting to watch . It looks like the 201 is a tad slower. Did both saws have the same chain? Any chance that 201 had that that new chiesel chain on it??

Is the 201 hard to get started when cold . How about after it gets warmed up and then sits for awhile? These things are just as important to me as are the balance and weight along with speed and torque.

Just a question, were the rakers on the 200 filed down just a smidge? It looks like it was really pulling and throwing chips and like I said it looked overall just faster than the 201. But then the 200 is probaly more broke in.

I don't know the reviews are still mixed on this saw which is why I got 2 200's while the getting was good. My dealer told me people are calling from all over looking for a 200 T

The thing I noticed about the 201 was the cheap feel of it.......! you hold a 192 & 201 & the feel is the same, you hold a 200 & its just more solid & feels durable!!! just my opinion!! stihl, will reconsider this move I have a feeling!

LXT...............

Latest posts

Back