235 PSI Compression? Jonsered 80

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've had more Mopars than Homelites, and I still have over 20 Homelites. Yes, Plymouth didn't actually use the name "Cuda" till mid year 69, so technically it's a 68 Barracuda Formula S, convertible. Most of the S cars are 340's. Had 3, 340 Swingers. In 67 they started putting 383's in the Fastbacks's and Notchbacks, but none in the converts. No big blocks went in the converts in 69 either. So, it was a one year only option. I've seen 3 of them, and the other two were hot rodded back in the day, fender well headers, aluminium intakes, Holly's. Mine is the only one I've seen that's still 100% stock. 1970 the body style changed and you could get 440 six packs and hemi's. I love mine because it's the definition of pony car. No air, no power brakes, no power steering, couldn't get them, they wouldn't fit under the hood with the big block in there. You could get manual disc brakes. Looks like granny's car till you drop the hammer on it, it goes. I had a 340 powered front engine dragster that ran 9.6's at 168 MPH, only one pic with no engine in it, Joe.

Would love to have a 340 Swinger with a 4 speed. Sounds like a lot of fun.

One Mopar that I have always regretted selling - my 71 GTX, 440/4bbl, hemi 4 speed, spoilers, track pack (Dana 60, 3.54), P/S, PDB, black on black, Air Grabber. I was never a fan of this body style until I found this one - they need spoilers to look "right" in my opinion, and vinyl roofs (mine didn't have one) kills the look, too. Pulled it out of a garage in Northern VA where it has languished for about 20 years. Last I heard it's been repainted and is close to being restored.

I used to have a '69 Dart 340 GTS . 4bbl, 2.02 heads, windage tray, dual point dist., double roller timing chain, etc. Car had a factory Hurst 4-speed, with a 3.23 Sure-Grip posi.
Liked it better than a ratty '69 Boss 302 I had. Thinking back, both of those cars would have sold for some money at Barrett Jackson if I could have kept them.

Rarefish,

Looks like you cranked up the front torsion bars a little. Always liked that setup.

GTS sounds like fun. Probably needed more gear, but I'm sure it was still very quick.

I've never been much of a Boss 302 fan or a Boss 429 fan either, for that matter. Both are quite cool and very collectible, but neither could take the more mundane 428 CJ in a drag race.

My Lotus DEMANDED hi test.

But it was worth it.

Downshift to 3rd at 70 and shirt to top gear at 90......what a SONG in your ear.

The finest sound was a car of a guy I knew.

He had a SS exhaust put on a SSJ with twin carbs feeding the supercharger......he let it warm up for 20 minutes and then bring it up to redline.

He said everyone should hear that song before they die.

What year was that? Twin carbs on a supercharger sounds like a fairly old one.

Besides my little MGA, I never really got into European cars. The closest I got was when a guy that worked for my Dad told the story about how a lady gave him an AC Bristol for cleaning out the garage and some yard work. I said yeah, yeah, sure. Then he asked if I'd like him to bring it to work the next day. I almost wet my pants. The next day he brought it in and it was one of the coolest rides I ever had. Not crazy powerful, but man was that car cool. For those that don't know what an AC Bristol is, it's the body Carol Shelby used to make the AC Cobra. One cool car, Joe.

That is a COOL story!

On a somewhat similar note, I thought about buying a Sunbeam Alpine when I got here -- you can get a decent one for about $10k. And then shoehorning a Ford Windsor (probably a 347) in there to have a poor man's Sunbeam Tiger.

But I ended up with a 72 Alfa Romeo GT Junior, after many weeks of research. The 105 series Alfa's are a pretty darn good combination of reasonable price, performance, looks, aftermarket parts availability, and class. I'll take it back to the states with me next summer.

As purchased -

Current condition, after some blasting in the driveway...

I had a 37 Cord 810, that was street rodded back in 1952. The whole drive train was removed. They were originally front wheel drive. Guy put an early Olds Rocket V8 in it. Had 6 Strombergs, 4 speed auto, and a Columbia 2 speed rear out of a 48 Lincoln. I never got that one put back together. Some one offered me more than I had in it, so I sold it, and bought the 39 Ford Coupe, Joe.

GTS sounds like fun. Probably needed more gear, but I'm sure it was still very quick.

I've never been much of a Boss 302 fan or a Boss 429 fan either, for that matter. Both are quite cool and very collectible, but neither could take the more mundane 428 CJ in a drag race.

Tires weren't that sticky back then. It wasn't always that easy to get it to hook , but when it did, the car would twist, and the left front fender would come up (more than the right). Surprised a few people with it.

Tires weren't that sticky back then. It wasn't always that easy to get it to hook , but when it did, the car would twist, and the left front fender would come up (more than the right). Surprised a few people with it.
The tires hooked up better than in 1935.
The SSJ was the original muscle cat.
400 real HP in 1935. With 5.5 compression ratio if I remember right.
0-60 was about 8 seconds.
Nice ride but it weighed 5080.......heavy dam engine. Oil pan was taller than a 6 year old kid.

Not many knew it but the highest octane gas back then was Texaco Skychief. 104 I think. Not sure why they never marketed it as such.
There used to be a chain of filling stations that sold a product called "Bleu Gas" the 3 grades had octane ratings of 103, 109,& 115, I think they got their base stock from "ELF"who took them over in the early 80's the name disappeared to re appear in the early 90's as race fuel brand name "Blue Gas" you could always tell who was using it on the race track the exhaust produced a very distinctive smell. I think it's still used in MOTO GP as some of the riders have small patches on their leathers

Back