235 PSI Compression? Jonsered 80

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe you told me when I started my 111S I should pull " with conviction......."
Tru that!! But I've never had my 111S bite me like that damn 80 of mine....probably because the 111S has a decomp......damn 80 reminds me of kick starting an old iron head XLCH Sportster with 10.5:1 pistons and a magneto......it'll leave rubber marks between your fingers if it decides it wants the pull handle back...suddenly!! Yep....pull with conviction....luckily it starts pretty good and runs great.

Scott...you'll more than likely find your 621s will pull anywhere from around 215-225 if they are in good order....all mine do.

Two rings, high dome pistons in these old Jonsereds make these kind of numbers at pull over speeds...nature of the beast!

Yes......and higher octane too...Sunoco 260 was sold as 98.....had a 69 MGB....first page of the owners manual said to not operate this auto on less than 105....that makes todays Premium 92 seem pretty wimpy....had to run AV gas to meet those requirements
I seemed to remember Sunoco 260 as being rated at 103, just did a Google search, and it said 105. I was lucky and grew up in the hay day of muscle cars. My 67 Dodge Rt with 440 Magnum and my 69 Dart swinger with 340 both ran fine on 260 and Amoco high test unleaded. They were both in the 10:1-10.5:1 area compression. My buddy had a 64 Fury with a 426 Max Wedge, 13:1 compression, and he had to use additives to get it to run well. Also, my first car was a 58 MGA coupe. Compression from the factory was in the 8.7:1 area. The 68 Cuda Formula S 383 with 9.75:1, that I have now, runs fine on 97 octane with lead additive, Joe.

I seemed to remember Sunoco 260 as being rated at 103, just did a Google search, and it said 105. I was lucky and grew up in the hay day of muscle cars. My 67 Dodge Rt with 440 Magnum and my 69 Dart swinger with 340 both ran fine on 260 and Amoco high test unleaded. They were both in the 10:1-10.5:1 area compression. My buddy had a 64 Fury with a 426 Max Wedge, 13:1 compression, and he had to use additives to get it to run well. Also, my first car was a 58 MGA coupe. Compression from the factory was in the 8.7:1 area. The 68 Cuda Formula S 383 with 9.75:1, that I have now, runs fine on 97 octane with lead additive, Joe.

It may have been that high.....may have been different in different regions too. It could have been slowly lowered too....I had the MGB in like '72 260 was 98 then here. I remember the Amaco high test was unleaded......long before unleaded was mandatory....used to call it white gas......run it in gasoline blow torches.....

Those sound like great cars. Almost bought a 67 R/T years ago; they are great-looking cars. Sold my last ultra-high compression musclecar about 5 years ago - a gorgeous 67 Fairlane hardtop. Don't let the 289 emblems fool you - it had a full-tilt 514 (bored and stroked 429/460) with a Dominator, monster solid roller cam, 13.5:1 compression, etc. Car was capable of high 9's.

These days I'm more of a cruiser in my drop-tops. The 66 Fairlane GT looks stock, but the "390" is actually a stealthy 428 with Eddy aluminum heads (logo ground off, heads painted), ported Streetmaster intake (same - logo ground off, intake painted), moderate solid roller, toploader, 11:1 compression, and 9" with a 3.25 gear and a TrueTrac. Should be close to 500 hp good for mid to low 12's with traction.

And then there's my Pontiac; sold my '69 Judges and 70 RAIV hardtop, but kept this one. Owner built 455 - about 10:1, hydraulic flat tappet, ported iron heads, re-worked Q-Jet by Cliff Ruggles, H-beam rods, etc. Has an owner built TH400, dual feed, auto valve body, 11" Continental converter, 3.90 factory rear diff. Another one that looks stock under the hood, but close to 500 hp and gobs of torque. Capable of dipping into the 11's with traction if the planets line up just right...

And one of the Pontiacs that I sold several years ago - featured in a few magazines. And since we're talking about compression, this was a Pure Stock Drags build with a hair under 12:1. Not a pump gas motor!

Sorry for the hijack! Wait, it's MY thread! I can hijack my own thread, can't I???

Lost my storage on this one and sold, didn't want it sitting out side.

The Cuda is on the roto body now. It's all number matching, 383, 4 speed. They only built 64 of these and the last I checked the Chrysler registry there were on 12 known left.

Had lots of cool Mopars.

That's a 68 Cuda S convertible, right? If so, I can see why it's so rare.

The R/T is a beauty. Did it end up in Virginia? The one I looked at in 2005/2006 was in Bradley Lam's collection in rural Virginia and it was the same color.

Love the wagon with the GTO hood!

Scott

235 psi is great! I had an old 801 that had around 245-255 that's actually normal numbers. I was actually told that 190 is too low for the day and put some new caber rings.

I've had more Mopars than Homelites, and I still have over 20 Homelites. Yes, Plymouth didn't actually use the name "Cuda" till mid year 69, so technically it's a 68 Barracuda Formula S, convertible. Most of the S cars are 340's. Had 3, 340 Swingers. In 67 they started putting 383's in the Fastbacks's and Notchbacks, but none in the converts. No big blocks went in the converts in 69 either. So, it was a one year only option. I've seen 3 of them, and the other two were hot rodded back in the day, fender well headers, aluminium intakes, Holly's. Mine is the only one I've seen that's still 100% stock. 1970 the body style changed and you could get 440 six packs and hemi's. I love mine because it's the definition of pony car. No air, no power brakes, no power steering, couldn't get them, they wouldn't fit under the hood with the big block in there. You could get manual disc brakes. Looks like granny's car till you drop the hammer on it, it goes. I had a 340 powered front engine dragster that ran 9.6's at 168 MPH, only one pic with no engine in it, Joe.

I used to have a '69 Dart 340 GTS . 4bbl, 2.02 heads, windage tray, dual point dist., double roller timing chain, etc. Car had a factory Hurst 4-speed, with a 3.23 Sure-Grip posi.
Liked it better than a ratty '69 Boss 302 I had. Thinking back, both of those cars would have sold for some money at Barrett Jackson if I could have kept them.

Rarefish,

Looks like you cranked up the front torsion bars a little. Always liked that setup.

My Lotus DEMANDED hi test.

But it was worth it.

Downshift to 3rd at 70 and shirt to top gear at 90......what a SONG in your ear.

The finest sound was a car of a guy I knew.

He had a SS exhaust put on a SSJ with twin carbs feeding the supercharger......he let it warm up for 20 minutes and then bring it up to redline.

He said everyone should hear that song before they die.

Blokhead, in 30 years of showing that picture to people you are the first to notice that. There's a story too. A friend went into the Navy and we had a big party for him. About mid night a girl came in and asked if the orange car was mine? It had a flat tire. By the time I got out there, there were 20-30 people out looking at the cars. Some jerk went down the line and slashed the tires on every car. I went home and got the tires and wheels off the the red Cuda in the above picture. The rear tires wouldn't clear the wheel wells on the Dart so I pumped up the air shocks on the rear. Then after a day or two the trans started slipping because the rear was too high. So, I wound the torsion bars up to level it out. First pay check I got new tires and put it back to stock, Joe.

My Lotus DEMANDED hi test.

But it was worth it.

Downshift to 3rd at 70 and shirt to top gear at 90......what a SONG in your ear.

The finest sound was a car of a guy I knew.

He had a SS exhaust put on a SSJ with twin carbs feeding the supercharger......he let it warm up for 20 minutes and then bring it up to redline.

He said everyone should hear that song before they die.
Besides my little MGA, I never really got into European cars. The closest I got was when a guy that worked for my Dad told the story about how a lady gave him an AC Bristol for cleaning out the garage and some yard work. I said yeah, yeah, sure. Then he asked if I'd like him to bring it to work the next day. I almost wet my pants. The next day he brought it in and it was one of the coolest rides I ever had. Not crazy powerful, but man was that car cool. For those that don't know what an AC Bristol is, it's the body Carol Shelby used to make the AC Cobra. One cool car, Joe.

Besides my little MGA, I never really got into European cars. The closest I got was when a guy that worked for my Dad told the story about how a lady gave him an AC Bristol for cleaning out the garage and some yard work. I said yeah, yeah, sure. Then he asked if I'd like him to bring it to work the next day. I almost wet my pants. The next day he brought it in and it was one of the coolest rides I ever had. Not crazy powerful, but man was that car cool. For those that don't know what an AC Bristol is, it's the body Carol Shelby used to make the AC Cobra. One cool car, Joe.

I had European when in Europe but had the Lotus when I got out.
In the little known department......the Ford GT 40 was a Lola. The Lotus was rejected by Ford because Lotus wanted their name in the title......Lola had no such requirement.......when the Lotus was tested by Car and Driver they said the handling was the the closest to Formula 1 you could get at the time.

But that SSJ......dam.

Oh, that Fairlane convert is my second most favorite Ford, next the the 39 coupe I had in high school, maybe an original GT40. I guess I can dream, Joe.
The original vs the new GT is 2200 vs 3600 lbs......but the first of both had a lump over the drivers seat. For a top man.
The "GT40" was never copyrighted by Ford so the new one was just called the GT.

Tru that!! But I've never had my 111S bite me like that damn 80 of mine....probably because the 111S has a decomp......damn 80 reminds me of kick starting an old iron head XLCH Sportster with 10.5:1 pistons and a magneto......it'll leave rubber marks between your fingers if it decides it wants the pull handle back...suddenly!! Yep....pull with conviction....luckily it starts pretty good and runs great.

Scott...you'll more than likely find your 621s will pull anywhere from around 215-225 if they are in good order....all mine do.

Two rings, high dome pistons in these old Jonsereds make these kind of numbers at pull over speeds...nature of the beast!
Well you told me to bring the 80 I got from John next time ......so we will see. Lol

Back