24" Bar on Husqvarna 357xp?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nitro-Fish

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone here run a 24" bar on a Husky 357xp? If so, how does it pull it? Any suggestions on chain type?

I have run a 24 on my 359 before it still pulls but not as good as I am used to. I believe the 357 is stronger so it will pull a 24 its just not going to do it with the authority that you would see with a 20 inch.

oMG

Dude, you put a 24" on a 357XP and your gonna have a dog there. That saw isn't made to run a bar that size. I'd say if you HAVE to, go with a .325 chain, if you can get it in full skip do that also. Too much of that and you'll burn up that saw and your clutch I'm pretty sure. That's really pushing it. I don't think you should run anything bigger than a 20" on anything smaller than the 60+cc saw class... A 24" slows down my 440 and my 288XP considerably... Let alone a saw about 1/2 the size. You could damage your saw. 357 is a GREAT saw. Don't ruin it, your better off to rent one for a day and keep your nice one in good shape buddy... Just my .02...

:cheers:

If you were closer I'd loan you mine or come and help you for a day. Specially if I was still living in Charlotte...

Usually run a 24 on both a 440 and a 359, full comp chain. Not a problem in softwoods. Generally stay under 24" on the 440 and under 20" on the 359. If you don't have to carry the saw all day, better to go with a larger saw.

I've ran a 24" on a 357XP for years and it will work fine.

In fact if you're intrested in buying an OK condition 24" 357XP bar I've got one. I put a 16" on it now and I'm never going back to the 24 on that saw.

Last edited:
Ummm

I've ran a 24" on a 357XP for years and it will work fine.

In fact if you're intrested in buying an OK condition 24" 357XP bar I've got one. I put a 16" on it now and I'm never going back to the 24 on that saw.

Dude, something is wrong with what you just wrote there... Why won't you go back to the 24??? Is it because it's a gutless wonder with it??? You running .325 or 3/8???

:dizzy: :popcorn:

Dude, you put a 24" on a 357XP and your gonna have a dog there. That saw isn't made to run a bar that size. I'd say if you HAVE to, go with a .325 chain, if you can get it in full skip do that also. Too much of that and you'll burn up that saw and your clutch I'm pretty sure. That's really pushing it. I don't think you should run anything bigger than a 20" on anything smaller than the 60+cc saw class... A 24" slows down my 440 and my 288XP considerably... Let alone a saw about 1/2 the size. You could damage your saw. 357 is a GREAT saw. Don't ruin it, your better off to rent one for a day and keep your nice one in good shape buddy... Just my .02...

Good post. I agree with you. I'd stay at 18" for a 357/361, 20 in emergency cases. But your 288 should pull the 24" nicely shouldn't it?

Last edited:
yep

QUOTE]

Good post. I agree iwth you. I'd stay at 18" for a 357/361, 20 in emergency cases. But your 288 should pull the 24" nicely shouldn't it?

ohhhhhhh yes it does brotha... So does my 7900 bro... hehehehehehehe

:cheers: eh?

It would probably pull the chips, but would be like you pulling all your kids around on a sled for several hours. It would work but man it would wear stuff out fast. Unlike other stuff, when in doubt, go smaller on the bar. You may have to go around and finish up a little that the bigger saw could have gotten, but what you lack there will make up in all other areas of cutting, i.e., faster cutting, more power, more aggressive chain if so desired.

24"? Is a very big bar for this saw. What? If you need a 24" bar, you need a chainsaw whit more power than the 357. 372 or big, depends of the wood. I run mine whit 16", and 18" usually. Whit the 16", and 8 pin., I´m very happy.

Where are you at in VA? If Im near you sometime I could bring my 7900 and let you run it.

Dude, something is wrong with what you just wrote there... Why won't you go back to the 24??? Is it because it's a gutless wonder with it??? You running .325 or 3/8???

:dizzy: :popcorn:

3/8
I'm not putting the bar back on because it was too long for what I do with that saw. The 16" I have on it now is a lot easier to work with and I have bigger saws when I need them. Thats why. The 24" is just what happened to be on that saw when I bought it so thats how I got it. And I wouldn't exactally say it was gutless because it could do the job, but it will dissapoint you if you're used to running a bigger saw with the 24. If you're going to be cutting wood that truly needs a 24" bar all day long I'd get the 372 at least, but if it was like what I was doing with that saw when I bought it, cutting oak trees where 97% of the cuts were through wood no larger then 12" diamater, then maybe 4 or 5 cuts through a 25" trunk, it will do the job without you having to cuss at it too much.

If it were an occasional use, the the 24 would be fine.

I used to run a 28" on my 365 when it was the only saw I had. It got used 90% of the time with an 18" or 20", but had the bigger bar for when I needed the extra length. Just so happened the dealer was out of 24"s the day I needed one, so I got the 28". It cut a lot better than I thought.

So, as long as you have a smaller bar for most of you work it should handle it fine for the every now and then ocassions.

heck, my buddy has a 55 Rancher he runs a 24" on it sometimes.

Now if you are expecting it to pull that full 24" in hardwoods all the time, get a bigger saw. Just remember, keep the chain sharp. with the 24" on it and a dull chain trying to force it to cut will likely lead to disasterous problems in short order.

Keep it to a 20", and then go buy yourself a 372xp with 24", or a Dolmar 7900.
I run a 26" on my 394xp, thats lots of fun, no bogging there. Now its got the 33" back on, any I just got a 272xp that has the 26" bar now.

Thanks for all of the input, just what I was looking for. I was trying to determine weather to get a bigger saw or just get a bigger bar for the 357. I very rarely need it, as a matter of fact, I haven't run across anything yet the 357 cant handle with the 20" bar, just have to do some rolling from time to time. Looks like I should stay with the 20 incher, just cuts too strong with it to get discouraged!

Thanks for all of the input, just what I was looking for. I was trying to determine weather to get a bigger saw or just get a bigger bar for the 357. I very rarely need it, as a matter of fact, I haven't run across anything yet the 357 cant handle with the 20" bar, just have to do some rolling from time to time. Looks like I should stay with the 20 incher, just cuts too strong with it to get discouraged!

Get a shorter one for most of the use, and use the 20" one only when needed! :greenchainsaw:

Latest posts

Back