242GXA

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's a 1988 saw. The plastics clearly state they were produced in 1987. If I had to guess, As for the week 55 designation, I would say the engraver messed up on the I.D. when he set the type for the serial number, but who really knows?

I wonder if @SawTroll could shed any light on this mystery saw?
Yea I spoke to Mike Acres and he says it seems to be a 1985, 5th week, number two off the line so idk to be honest. Everyone has something different to add.

Only way it can be an '85 saw is if someone swapped the plastics - which is possible.
How is that so if the serial number shows 85? Genuine question, not trying to be smart. If it's a prototype like some speculate, it would predate all others known.

How is that so if the serial number shows 85? Genuine question, not trying to be smart. If it's a prototype like some speculate, it would predate all others known.
The current "normal" practice with Husky serial numbers is that the first 2 digits indicate mfg year and the second 2 indicate the week of the year. Anyone have any Husky connections to confirm this was the case in 1985?

The current "normal" practice with Husky serial numbers is that the first 2 digits indicate mfg year and the second 2 indicate the week of the year. Anyone have any Husky connections to confirm this was the case in 1985?
I've received mixed information that it's an 88 saw but also 85. 85 would make more sense but current documentation starts the 242 series in 87/88 so this would predate all those known examples. Still searching for confirmation.

I've received mixed information that it's an 88 saw but also 85. 85 would make more sense but current documentation starts the 242 series in 87/88 so this would predate all those known examples. Still searching for confirmation.
It could also be that the 242 was released at different times (years) in different parts of the world.

Unfortunately, unlike Stihl, the country of manufacture is not encoded in the serial number. Interesting mystery.

It could also be that the 242 was released at different times (years) in different parts of the world.

Unfortunately, unlike Stihl, the country of manufacture is not encoded in the serial number. Interesting mystery.
Well, having found it in the UK, I assume it was sold here or another market in Europe. A few guys that have commented say the decal on the top cover wouldn't have been consistent within the US market.

So I can confirm there was never a gxa242 certainly never in the UK, of all the test saws I have seen there will not be a model on the plate just an etched ser no. There will also be a decal saying it’s a test saw, all test saws will be logged and returned to the factory after the test period, any additional add on to the saw would be included under the model decal on the starter, such as G for heated handle, there was a version with a catalytic muffler that did not catch on, the 42 and 42 Special was the semi pro version with open port cylinder, the 242 had a closed port cylinder. So I can be pretty sure there was never such a model, is this on the ser no. plate?

So I can confirm there was never a gxa242 certainly never in the UK, of all the test saws I have seen there will not be a model on the plate just an etched ser no. There will also be a decal saying it’s a test saw, all test saws will be logged and returned to the factory after the test period, any additional add on to the saw would be included under the model decal on the starter, such as G for heated handle, there was a version with a catalytic muffler that did not catch on, the 42 and 42 Special was the semi pro version with open port cylinder, the 242 had a closed port cylinder. So I can be pretty sure there was never such a model, is this on the ser no. plate?
Yea man it's etched on the placard beside the model number, it looks to be legit too. Here's a picture

Also, just out of curiosity, how are you certain there wasn't one? I mean that as respectful as possible and don't mean to insult or discredit your Husqvarna knowledge.

Attachments

• PXL_20221026_202137888.jpg
    PXL_20221026_202137888.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 0
You are close but the standard layout of the serial number on Husky saws from approx. 1986 until approx. 1995 was as follows:

My 1990 262XP Serial number: 0370646

First number = year eg. "0" would be 1990
Second 2 numbers would be the week of manufacture eg. "37" would be week 37 (approx. 3rd week of Sept.)
Last four numbers are the production number eg. "0646" or saw number 646

IMG_20180323_132912.jpg

The first digit is the year of manufacture per Husqvarna standard for that era, not the first 2 digits. The next 2 digits are the week. However, your serial tag obviously doesn't follow the standard as there is no week 55. If you look inside the plastics of your saw, you can clearly see the date of manufacture is 87 (1987). That fits with the "8" on your serial tag (1988). Husqvarna couldn't put plastics manufactured in 1987 on a 1985 saw - obviously, but someone could have swapped out the plastics at some point in the last 35 years - who knows? The most definitive way to confirm the date of manufacture is to remove the fuel tank and look for the casting date on the underside of the crankcase, or check the manufacture date on the lobe of the crankshaft.

The 2 guys who might be able to shed some light on this mystery saw are Tor r and Sawtroll, but they both seem to have left the chainsaw forums in the last year. That's a shame as they hold a wealth of knowledge.

The first digit is the year of manufacture per Husqvarna standard for that era, not the first 2 digits. The next 2 digits are the week. However, your serial tag obviously doesn't follow the standard as there is no week 55. If you look inside the plastics of your saw, you can clearly see the date of manufacture is 87 (1987). That fits with the "8" on your serial tag (1988). Husqvarna couldn't put plastics manufactured in 1987 on a 1985 saw - obviously, but someone could have swapped out the plastics at some point in the last 35 years - who knows? The most definitive way to confirm the date of manufacture is to remove the fuel tank and look for the casting date on the underside of the crankcase, or check the manufacture date on the lobe of the crankshaft.

The 2 guys who might be able to shed some light on this mystery saw are Tor r and Sawtroll, but they both seem to have left the chainsaw forums in the last year. That's a shame as they hold a wealth of knowledge.
Also note that the "run number" is only 0002 like this may have been a sample saw or prototype.

I would email Husqvarna in Sweden, as they would be only ones to clear the air on were this model came from and what gxa means.
they sometimes have made special versions for various armed forces for countries, that I do know- it could be one of those?

Yea I agree with you on all of the above. I had the tank off last weekend and if I remember correctly it was a '6' on the case. Also, have been trying to reach sawtroll also, not aware of the Tor R. Thanks again.

I would email Husqvarna in Sweden, as they would be only ones to clear the air on were this model came from and what gxa means.
they sometimes have made special versions for various armed forces for countries, that I do know- it could be one of those?
Good idea, I will do it now.

Any chance you have an email for them in Sweden? I can't find one to save my life.

I have already checked, nobody seems to know, a real poser as the plate does look genuine, as said I remember and have worked on Husqvarna machines back as far as the F70 and everything in between.

I have already checked, nobody seems to know, a real poser as the plate does look genuine, as said I remember and have worked on Husqvarna machines back as far as the F70 and everything in between.
Oh so you're saying the plate is fake?

Latest posts

Back