250 puts a beatdown on a 261?!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually like the 250...i used to never even think about spending any money/time or even look at the homeowner grade Stihls, but the 250 seems to be an outcast in a lethargic and slow group of saws. I think its definitely worth $299...its on special in my area right now. A freind of mine bought one a couple months ago and brought it to me for a MM after he broke it in for a while and the thing really rips. I couldnt believe it.

Also, im sending my MS362 to Randy (Mastermind) very soon...CANT WAIT!!! I have never heard so many people from all over the countrty SO impressed with someones work. And he is a great guy too. I was originally going to send him my 024AVS and he was going to build me an 026 w/ his woods mod. Long story short, i had to cancel on him with short notice due to some circumstances and he couldnt have been nicer about it. He even took the time to give me his best wishes and basically said no worries, whenever im ready. Anyone who hasnt should check out his work. Either by talking to people here, or on youtube. Pretty amazing stuff...

I actually like the 250...i used to never even think about spending any money/time or even look at the homeowner grade Stihls, but the 250 seems to be an outcast in a lethargic and slow group of saws. I think its definitely worth $299...its on special in my area right now. A freind of mine bought one a couple months ago and brought it to me for a MM after he broke it in for a while and the thing really rips. I couldnt believe it.

Also, im sending my MS362 to Randy (Mastermind) very soon...CANT WAIT!!! I have never heard so many people from all over the countrty SO impressed with someones work. And he is a great guy too. I was originally going to send him my 024AVS and he was going to build me an 026 w/ his woods mod. Long story short, i had to cancel on him with short notice due to some circumstances and he couldnt have been nicer about it. He even took the time to give me his best wishes and basically said no worries, whenever im ready. Anyone who hasnt should check out his work. Either by talking to people here, or on youtube. Pretty amazing stuff...
Randy is one of the best kinda guys. He treats everyone like family and thats the way it should be. People get all caught up in my ported saw is .10 sec quicker than yours. Really? I use mine for firewood, storm cleanup and everyday type duties and really wouldnt notice a .10 sec. What matters to me is the quality of person that I deal with and when it comes to Randy there are none better.

I have ran a 20" bar in a pinch on my 250. It's muffler modded but not ported. It pulled it but I would not go any bigger than that. Those oilers are stingy to start with on a 16" bar.

I have ran a 20" bar in a pinch on my 250. It's muffler modded but not ported. It pulled it but I would not go any bigger than that. Those oilers are stingy to start with on a 16" bar.

SSSHHHHH; don't tell anyone I open up the oil pump on the one I just did; I drill the holes going in/out of the pump bigger don't know if it will last but what the heck just playing with it :msp_biggrin:

SSSHHHHH; don't tell anyone I open up the oil pump on the one I just did; I drill the holes going in/out of the pump bigger don't know if it will last but what the heck just playing with it :msp_biggrin:

I would like to know how this is working! please keep updating! do you have any pics of a 250 muff mod process? and what settings to adjust the carb to. i would like to do mine.

Last edited:
I would like to know how this is working! please keep updating! do you have any pics of a 250 muff mod process? and what settings to adjust the carb to. i would like to do mine.

Tomorrow or Thursday Im taking down 5 Birch trees after that I will know more; the mod Im worrird about is the oil pump I made the walls on it really thing the pump has the handle to protect it so im not worried about it getting it hit

The other mods to the ports are larger than the other one I have and the ports are as smooooth as glass :)

The MM is smaller than I did the first one 3/4 of the inlet port

Na once again I didn't take any pic's of the mod's

I followed this in MMing my 250. http://www.arboristsite.com/chainsaw/99937.htm

The difference is incredible. It's been a few months and I forgot exactly but the tach was in the 15,200 range with the 3/4 turn he described. I turned it some more then tuned it to the best of my limited ability. Got it town to 14,200 I believe. Maybe higher. Literally a different saw. It is louder than my 346xp which also has a MM. I do understand that louder, more powerful sounding can make you believe it works better but I tested it.

I had a huge dead limb off a cherry tree I needed to cut down. Up on a ladder, by hand. When it fell, I wasn't in the mood for any BS as my hand was numb. I keep my saws in our Butler Pantry but they go in the shed for 24 hours so they don't smell too badly. Therefore, I really try not to use my 346 and 250 on the same day.

The 250 didn't cut the cherry up very well, I got perturbed and pulled out the 346 to finish most of it off. I left some because I knew it was muffler mod time for the 250. I cut the rest of the Cherry up with the 250. post muff mod. What a difference. Similar to when you see your kid doing something wrong, you show them how, they do it right and you feel good (very very good, actually).

I do a little more that what that link showed in the MM; I also do work on the baffle

I did try and file down the limiter cap but it just popped off at one point. Oh well. Some have said the H can drift and you're tuning a lot. Haven't had that issue yet. I think a cap and removal tool it under $10.

I haven't done my 362 yet, as I might get it ported. That wasn't a might but a definite until my wife thought making some tables and whatnot (milling) sounded like a good idea, so the money is going to a big saw instead. I will have to sneak in a port job down the road. Point being, I'd rather have the porter MM it, than me. But the gains from my 250 are so glaring, I am dying to do the 362.

I would not call the 250 a turd. Feels lighter than the 346 and 200$ less here. Best limber you could ask for IMO. Torque isn't impressive but fast little saw, can't ask much more of 45ccs.

I did a little cutting with the 250 i built up today and it went thru bar oil faster than fuel

Latest posts

Back