250 puts a beatdown on a 261?!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I actually like the 250...i used to never even think about spending any money/time or even look at the homeowner grade Stihls, but the 250 seems to be an outcast in a lethargic and slow group of saws. I think its definitely worth $299...its on special in my area right now. A freind of mine bought one a couple months ago and brought it to me for a MM after he broke it in for a while and the thing really rips. I couldnt believe it.

Also, im sending my MS362 to Randy (Mastermind) very soon...CANT WAIT!!! I have never heard so many people from all over the countrty SO impressed with someones work. And he is a great guy too. I was originally going to send him my 024AVS and he was going to build me an 026 w/ his woods mod. Long story short, i had to cancel on him with short notice due to some circumstances and he couldnt have been nicer about it. He even took the time to give me his best wishes and basically said no worries, whenever im ready. Anyone who hasnt should check out his work. Either by talking to people here, or on youtube. Pretty amazing stuff...

Randy is the MANN! My work puts me in direct contact with thousands of people a year, that coupled with family and friends- I know thousands of people in and around Knoxville and surrounding counties. Of everyone I have ever met, Randy made one of the fastest and deepest impressions on me. I truly value his friendship, and I trust him without question. Absolutely a class act, and I'm telling my age here, but he is someone I look up to and would like to immulate in how I treat others. I followed his work for a year before I ever contacted him about porting a saw for me back in Dec. Since then, he has done them all except for my brand new Johnsered 2053. I've traded with him, bought from him, and had him port all my saws, and I haven't had a single regret or negative experience dealing with him. He is my go to guy for saws.

Last edited:
Randy is the MANN! My work puts me in direct contact with thousands of people a year, that coupled with family and friends- I know thousands of people in and around Knoxville and surrounding counties. Of everyone I have ever met, Randy made one of the fastest and deepest impressions on me. I truly value his friendship, and I trust him without question. Absolutely a class act, and I'm telling my age here, but he is someone I look up to and would like to immulate in how I treat others. I followed his work for a year before I ever contacted him about porting a saw for me back in Dec. Since then, he has done them all except for my brand new Johnsered 2053. I've traded with him, bought from him, and had him port all my saws, and I haven't had a single regret or negative experience dealing with him. He is my go to guy for saws.
I agree !! I talk to Randy everyday about something. I always hang up thinking how great of a friend he is . I've only known him a couple months but trust every word he says. oh yeah he builds some kick Ass saws too :rock:

I do a little more that what that link showed in the MM; I also do work on the baffle

Brian, what do you do to the baffle and what difference does it make? My 250 is already my loudest saw.

I apologize in advance if you've already posted this, as it seems you might have.

Feel free to share too, RT.

Nevermind. I found the thread. Too much going on the past few months, kind of scary I forgot those posts.

I think I will drill the holes to match both sides. Not sure I want to remove the baffle. I could care less if it sounded like a jet plane, just looking for more gains. I can always try removal last.

Mine looks exactly like your photo, Rolltide.

One thing that really surprised me was how far I had to turn the H left after the MM. Still more room left, means more room for gains.:biggrin:

Nevermind. I found the thread. Too much going on the past few months, kind of scary I forgot those posts.

I think I will drill the holes to match both sides. Not sure I want to remove the baffle. I could care less if it sounded like a jet plane, just looking for more gains. I can always try removal last.

Mine looks exactly like your photo, Rolltide.

One thing that really surprised me was how far I had to turn the H left after the MM. Still more room left, means more room for gains.:biggrin:

Once you have it apart its easy you'll see

Just use a torch and place it in a vice and use a hammer to close it back up and you'll never now you were in there :)

You'll notice the difference because i didnt do it the first time (holes on the other side of the baffle) and then when I did it (bigger hole on each side) to both sides I smiled but remember its just a little POS saw (as someone would say) :)

Last edited:
muff modded my 250 last night. what a peice of cake! i only enlarged the exit side and it really woke up the saw. I pulled off the H limiter cap and left it off.( popped off with screw driver easy, no special tool needed). My H screw is set about 2 turns out with just a hint of 4 stroking. Cuts alot faster now, maybe tonight ill do a little work on the inside baffle.
How much are you guys seeing your H screw needs to be turned out?

muff modded my 250 last night. what a peice of cake! i only enlarged the exit side and it really woke up the saw. I pulled off the H limiter cap and left it off.( popped off with screw driver easy, no special tool needed). My H screw is set about 2 turns out with just a hint of 4 stroking. Cuts alot faster now, maybe tonight ill do a little work on the inside baffle.

It depends on the saw; both of mine are set different on the "H" screw adjustment and "L" screw adjustment and both are set to 2700 at idle (+/- 100)

I also switched to 40 - 1 on my fuel

I think it was a 1/4 past the limiter spot and then a shade more. I started from zero and tuned it the best I could. I also checked it with a tach to make sure and therein lies the 'shade more'. I wanted the RPM's down more.

I think it was a 1/4 past the limiter spot and then a shade more. I started from zero and tuned it the best I could. I also checked it with a tach to make sure and therein lies the 'shade more'. I wanted the RPM's down more.

why do you want the rpms down? where can i get a tach?

I got my tach at the same place. Edge and Engine.

I actually walked into his shop as one of my kids goes to college in the next town over. Really nice guy. His prices are so much less expensive than my local shop.

As per the RPMs: I don't trust my saw tuning ability. Thus the tach. Bringing down the RPMs 1000 really doesn't seem like that much sound wise or turn left wise. I was too nervous at 15800 or 15200, not sure which it was. 14800 seemed tuned but I brought it down more.

While I understand it is a throway saw to many, it is still my first real saw and I don't want to lose it.

Wilton Ct?

Randy is aka Mastermind. Saw mechanic/porter.

Not sure what a few 'pops' means but my 250 is a very capable saw and can handle anything I have thrown at it (24 inch oak) except a stump that was a bit bigger. I actually had to use it to cut out my 346 that the log shifted on. Didn't say fast but it didn't bog down.

so i mm'ed it and tuned it to slight 4 stroke in a log. So its not really safe to use yet? not tuned good enough? Also is it supposed to 4 stroke when not in a log?

Wilton Ct?

Not sure what a few 'pops' means but my 250 is a very capable saw and can handle anything I have thrown at it (24 inch oak) except a stump that was a bit bigger. I actually had to use it to cut out my 346 that the log shifted on. Didn't say fast but it didn't bog down.

Wilton Manors, Florida....a suburb of Fort Lauderdale.

I can't get it to start, bought used on eBay from a guy in Vermont. I've rebuilt the carb, and have new points ready, but its getting fuel and spark and has GREAT compression.

?

T

Wilton Manors, Florida....a suburb of Fort Lauderdale.

I can't get it to start, bought used on eBay from a guy in Vermont. I've rebuilt the carb, and have new points ready, but its getting fuel and spark and has GREAT compression.

?

T

You got the wrong 250, this thread is about the little orange and white one, I would guess you're talking about the big yellow one.

Wilton Ct?

It's fun that you mention the 24" oak, I was wondering if someone was using this little saw for bigger wood than I did. The saw is mostly used for the apple trees that die (never more than 12"), but last year irene downed a few century old sugar maples in the woods. 13 cords of 20" and over trees. Can't say the saw liked it, but the job is done and it's still going strong.

Latest posts

Back