254XP won't start

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Will try to get at it tomorrow, I have a broken ankle and on crutches so hard to get around.

Bummer! That is the pits.

A few years back I broke both shin bones, separated them from each other, and tore four ligaments in my left ankle. I did crutches for four months.

I installed a carb kit,cleaned everything up and still no go
I am borrowing a compression tester this weekend, any ideas or tips on what else I can do.
I hate to get rid of this saw,it seems like it was a good one.
If it starts easy with fuel down the air intake then you have a fuel delivery issue. Could be a tiny hole in the fuel line. ..clogged carb....bad pump diaphragm etc.

No harm in a compression test though
Yeah, about that........

If it starts easy with fuel down the air intake then you have a fuel delivery issue. Could be a tiny hole in the fuel line. ..clogged carb....bad pump diaphragm etc.

No harm in a compression test though
Buddy from out of town that was supposed to bring his forgot it, I might have to just go buy my own.
Keep you posted.
If the piston and cylinder are bad, I tried looking around on line and looks like no one has them for this model. Am I SOL if that's the case.

image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Ok, few things I found out. I took muffler off to look at piston.
It was wet with gas so carb is working.
Piston to me looks good but I will see what you guys think.
While the muffler was off I decided I would try to start it again, wouldn't you know it the damn thing started.
Thinking everything is good I put muffler back on, tried to start it again, no friggin way. WTF
Took muffler off, it starts.......what's going on here.
Another thing I figured out which I should have seen before,there's a metal tag with serial number and model.
It's not a 254XP it's a 154SE Electrolux Motor ,father inlaw must off changed the cover.

Are the internal ports in the muffler open?
Is there any chance that something is blocking the exhaust port when you re-install the muffler (wrong muffler, wrong gasket, gasket fell out of place, etc)?

It's a little odd that there are no baked-on deposits in the exhaust port.

Muffler ports open.
Muffler,gasket all in place.
I cleaned up exhaust port a little.
Not sure if it's wrong muffler, it was on there before when it ran so that can't be a problem.

to the OP....

at this point, diagnosing things like this isn't gonna work very well. Seems like this saw has been run hard and put away wet, plus its a bit of a mishmash.

so...2 things. #1, its time for a rebuild. here is my bolt for bolt on how to do a 262xp...this one will be quite similar. during the teardown you can diagnose as you go. odds are its time for new seals and gaskets, piston ring, cylinder etc etc.

#2, what you have is a saw that is unlikely to have parts readily available. so, to be frank, if you are looking for a saw to work around the house, this one is cool, but not ultimately practical because parts are not easy to get. if you want to get it running for nostalgia purposes, thats great, but ultimately if you need a saw that is maintainable, this one doesn't fill the bill (unless you are like Agrarian above... he has a zillion 2 series saws hehe). to be clear, my father has a 257 and 261 that he runs on a regular basis. I have encouraged him to use his husky 350 (that I ported for him) most often because parts are SO cheap and so easy to get for the 350. overall, I'm suggesting for you that you consider something that is easier to get parts for as a go-to saw.

I don't know why the thing runs w/ muff off vs on....thats odd for sure. it means that further diagnosis is needed, and on an old saw, its time for a teardown. those seals are old rubber...bearings are old etc.

Did a compression test on it today,it's around 105.
I did check around for piston/cylinder in case it needs one but looks Mattyo right
Nobody has anything for this saw except maybe rings.

Latest posts

Back