257 to 262xp conversion

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

257xp

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings,
I am new to this site, but have been a husky user since 1998, i bought a husqvarna 257 new back in 1998, i cut at least 3 to 4 cords of hardwood every year and the saw has never let me down. all i ever do to it is change the spark plug every 3 years or so, great saw! i was reading some past posts on converting the 257 to the 262xp, I was wondering if anyone out there has done this conversion, if so what parts do i need to complete the conversion, are any aftermarket pistons and cylinders any good? ive heard horror stories about some of the chinese parts out there. any help would be greatly appreciated. also im running the factory bar/ chain set up. .375" 20" with factory sprocket and clutch, what are the benefits of going to the .325 chain?

You'll need the following in addition to the cylinder and piston:

503 54 41-01 intake block
503 54 43-01 gasket for above

That's just to get the top end mounted and working.
In order to do a true conversion, you're also going to
want the three-shoe clutch, top cover, air filter cover,
intake manifold, air filter, and carburetor.

You'll need the following in addition to the cylinder and piston:

503 54 41-01 intake block
503 54 43-01 gasket for above

That's just to get the top end mounted and working.
In order to do a true conversion, you're also going to
want the three-shoe clutch, top cover, air filter cover,
intake manifold, air filter, and carburetor.

thanks, i appreciate the help, I guess now Im torn between spending the$ for a genuine husky kit, or take a chance with aftermarket, reading through the posts on this site, I see the meteor piston is a good aftermarket piece, but i havent heard of anyone raving about any of the aftermarket cylinders, any input on this?? anyone? thanks in advance..

would this work for my saw

i have a 359 etec would this work on my saw. i would like to have alittle more power and torque

Back