260 non adjustable carb screams no load , like 100,000 rpm without a hiccup ? LoL !

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Normsworld

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I got this saw off craigs year ago , haven't used it much . Cutting up some storm damage yesterday I noticed that it just screams in and out of the cut .Shut her down in fear . No "4cycling " wide open no load , Runs great but wondering is it running too lean ? I normally tune em richer , but can't on this carb . Anything I can do besides changing out the carb ? More oil help a little ?Am I being too anal ? Stihl built em and sold em like this .

How long did you run it? Pull the spark plug and check the color of the post around the electrode. It should be a light tan color. If it's more grey or ashy white you're probably too lean.

How long did you run it? Pull the spark plug and check the color of the post around the electrode. It should be a light tan color. If it's more grey or ashy white you're probably too lean.

I'll pull it tomorrow , yesterday ran guess 1/3 or 1/4 tank . I probably r@r the plug when I first got it last year it so it should be in decent shape to tell . I cut up 1/2 cord last year but don't remember it worrying me then . My little Dolmar is the saw I run mostly . So the 260 was playing a whole different tune . What can I do if it's lean ? Oh , and I was using regular pump gas / 10% ethanol with probably a little to much Stabil marine splashed in there .

The fixed jet carb on 026/ms260's is on the rich side with a saw with no air leaks or carb/fuel system issues. They are close to perfect with a modest muffler mod. I would leak test the saw to rule out air leaks and go thru the carb and fuel system.

If it's lean there's not much you can do except bring it to your local stihl dealer. What's your mix? What brand oil? Could you have thinned the mix too much when you added stabil? I also personally recommend running 91octane non oxygenated gas. It's cleaner and lasts a lot longer.

The fixed jet carb on 026/ms260's is on the rich side with a saw with no air leaks or carb/fuel system issues. They are close to perfect with a modest muffler mod. I would leak test the saw to rule out air leaks and go thru the carb and fuel system.

I'm no 2-smoke guro , but rich it wasn't . It was Poulan synthetic oil at 50to1 .How do I leak test ? I'm gonna mix a new batch of gas or buy the redimix can at the dealers . Try it then . I love the saw , hate to ruin it

easy fix for lean screaming fixed-jet saw, whip the carb off and tweak the metering lever up about half a mm

Latest posts

Back