260 or 346?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MS460WOODCHUCK

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know it's been covered over and over. I sold a bunch of saw's in the last few days. I even sold the 026 that I just bought, I figured heck with it I want a new one not somebodies hand me down. The saw was really nice but looked well used beside all of my new Stihls. (CAD is terrible for me) Also sold my 361 which was new, got a good price out of it. If I'm gonna run 59cc's it's gonna be Old Faithful! Sold both 170's, 029 and both 031's. I may even sell the MS270 which only has 13 tanks of Stihl Ultra through it. Any how I got a small chunk from this and am thinking Ms260 or 346. Looking for opinions from you guy's. What's the difference between the 260 and the 260 pro. And, what's the difference between the 346xp,xpg and the ne? Not looking for the pi##ing match between stihl and husky. Just honest opinions. This will be the last new stihl I buy if I go with the 260 all corners of the stihl's will be covered in my book.

I have one of each here if you wanna see 'em.. :) (026 and ms260 pro)

Only difference is the pro has a decomp valve and an adjustable oiler... Oh, and a sticker that says "pro".

The 026 is for sale, but I'm probably going to have to Ebay it to get what I want.

Gonna be new this time man. Just sold a great running 026. Pretty bad is'nt it, it's gotta be pretty!:dizzy:

Gonna be new this time man. Just sold a great running 026. Pretty bad is'nt it, it's gotta be pretty!:dizzy:

Yeah, I read that... If I hadn't picked up a MINT 260 PRO on CL for $200, I would be hanging on to my 026. Saws are selling cheap right now, I don't know if it's the wrong time to sell, or the right time to buy! :)

I passed on another 036 pro yesterday for $150. It was in Sandusky ( I was within a few miles of the seller too!). My CAD is slowing down... I'm thinking about selling more than buying here lately. :(

The NE designation is just used to differentiate between the original 346XP of 45cc and the current version of 50cc. A "G" at the end of a Husqvarna "XP" designation indicates that the saw has electrically heated handles & carburetor.. It is a nice feature to have if you cut in cold and damp conditions, especially if you have circulatory and/or nerve issues with your hands and wrists. Stihl refers to their models with the heated handles / carburetor as being an "Artic" model.

How's the 660 doing had a chance to run it much yet?

I still haven't put a bar on it. I think I'm gonna pick up a 32" or a 36" bar and just "save" it for when I need it. With all of my other saws, I think this one is gonna be "like-new" for a LONG time. I just don't cut that much big stuff. BUT when I need it, it will be there!

That WAS my prettiest saw until I picked up the ms260 Pro... Now I dunno.. :)

The only thing I did with that saw was run the gas out of it and put it up. I know, kind of a waste, huh?!? It will get some use this fall/winter when I get back into cutting. I already have about 8 cord of wood split, stacked, and drying for the next 2-3 years... Maybe I should sell it so I can use my saws more!

Last edited:
I ran my buddies 346XPG and really liked it. Then I got the 026 and really liked it. I guess I'll leave it up to price and weight.:dizzy::givebeer:

I still haven't put a bar on it. I think I'm gonna pick up a 32" or a 36" bar and just "save" it for when I need it. With all of my other saws, I think this one is gonna be "like-new" for a LONG time. I just don't cut that much big stuff. BUT when I need it, it will be there!

That WAS my prettiest saw until I picked up the ms260 Pro... Now I dunno.. :)

The only thing I did with that saw was run the gas out of it and put it up. I know, kind of a waste, huh?!? It will get some use this fall/winter when I get back into cutting. I already have about 8 cord of wood split, stacked, and trying for the next 2-3 years... Maybe I should sell it so I can use my saws more!
Pretty also has something to do with cc's when talking about CHAINSAWS! It's kind of like a breast size! Borrow a bar from one of the 440's and throw some chips!:buttkick:

I have both an 026 and the Jred 2153 version of the 346xp. The first saw in the truck is the 2153 and the poor 026 sits home most of the time. The 026 is a very good saw but the 2153 is a great saw. Try to handle both and see what feels better in your hands.

You've simply got to find a 346 and run. That will answer the question for you. I fell in love with mine immediately, and I'm a Stihl guy. It was my first Husky. IMHO, it's considerably stronger than a 260. You will want to put a modded non-EPA muffler on it if you get one with a green fuel cap. I'd also recommend putting a non rev-limiting coil on it. You can pick them up on eBay for about $25. It's the same coil you find on many other current models, ie 359, 359, 372... I also prefer the choke/fast idle controls on the Husky. Two things I don't like but can live with. All it wants to do is fall on its side when you set it down, and the outboard clutch. Yes, I'd take one in a heartbeat over a new 260, as nice as they are.

It's hard to put into words why I like it so much. I guess it's just that it handles sooooooooo well, and same with performance. Throttle response is electric motor like. I buried mine in hardwood on the first outing and was shocked with its power. Now don't forget that we're only talking about a 50cc saw here, so don't expect it to have the power of a 361, but you get the idea.

Where do you live anyway? I'm near Middletown, 45005. Mines significantly modded, but you'd still get to feel how it handles.

Both great saws, I prefer the 260. The 346 has more power stock. If you decide on a 346 be sure you get a non-epa one. If not you will have to buy another muffler without the cat. I think the 260 handles better. It would be best to try a 346 to help get a idea but I'd say with all your current Stihls, the 260 should do it.

You've simply got to find a 346 and run. That will answer the question for you. I fell in love with mine immediately, and I'm a Stihl guy. It was my first Husky. IMHO, it's considerably stronger than a 260. You will want to put a modded non-EPA muffler on it if you get one with a green fuel cap. I'd also recommend putting a non rev-limiting coil on it. You can pick them up on eBay for about $25. It's the same coil you find on many other current models, ie 359, 359, 372... I also prefer the choke/fast idle controls on the Husky. Two things I don't like but can live with. All it wants to do is fall on its side when you set it down, and the outboard clutch. Yes, I'd take one in a heartbeat over a new 260, as nice as they are.

It's hard to put into words why I like it so much. I guess it's just that it handles sooooooooo well, and same with performance. Throttle response is electric motor like. I buried mine in hardwood on the first outing and was shocked with its power. Now don't forget that we're only talking about a 50cc saw here, so don't expect it to have the power of a 361, but you get the idea.

Where do you live anyway? I'm near Middletown, 45005. Mines significantly modded, but you'd still get to feel how it handles.

Brad, I live 30 miles west of Lima. I think I'm gonna go with the 260 because of the weight and the fact that if I get the 346 I'll probably want all of the Huskie's I've already been thinking about them. Just be nice to have the best of both world's.:dizzy:

IMHO, the 346xp has to be one of the best saws out there! I am sure many will agree. 346 all the way!!! (And I haven't even ran a NE yet)...:dizzy:

I have not ran a 260 but I ran a buddies 346 xp ne and it is one hot little saw bone stock with the cat. muffler. I know its gonna be my next saw. Just a pure pleasure to run!!:greenchainsaw:

The NE346XP will soundly hand a 260 it's ass on a powder coated platter. The only thing in that class that comes close is the 5100.

I've ran a couple 346's and several 026's to this day. I like the handling , weight and balance of the 026 better. For my working saws stihl has been very trustworthy . I haven't wittnessed enough of Husky reliability to choose them over most stihls to depend on them to make me money selling firewood.
I suppose if I made several hundred dollars a day doing tree work I would consider having both. The 346 has enough advantages I might take to it if I thought I had a reliable unit.

Stihls tend to be more durable and take abuse and neglect better than Huskies, but they always seem to feel blocky and less ergonomic, which is important with a smaller, nimble saw for limbing/general cutting, and less of an issue with a big saw. I like the feel of the 346 WAY better than the 260, the balance makes it easier to run all day.

Back