261 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 188535

Chainsaw-wielding middle-schooler
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am turning 14 this July. I will be using my savings from my firewood, pollinator-friendly mosquito control, and lawn care businesses as well as birthday money to buy a 261 because my 170 is good for carving and small tree removal but is terrible for bucking up huge logs. I originally wanted an MS 250 but really need something that can pull a 20" chain, be used frequently, and get double dogs. I am also going to buy a WCS kit ( Dogs to put on it and an exhaust mod once my warranty is up ) for it to upgrade it a bit. I need answers to the following questions:

1. M-Tronic or Manual carb? For background, I annually cut trees for a client of mine who owns an Airbnb in the mountains and I live fairly low in terms of elevation ( In the DMV area on the east coast ) and use my saws year-round.
2. Is 20" the best length?
3. Do any of you guys know if the light bars are good and make a big weight difference?

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering!

And no, my ms 170 does not have a carving bar on it because I use an MS 194c ( Rear handle ) as a carver.

;

1. M-Tronic or Manual carb? For background, I annually cut trees for a client of mine who owns an Airbnb in the mountains and I live fairly low in terms of elevation ( In the DMV area on the east coast ) and use my saws year-round.
3. Do any of you guys know if the light bars are good and make a big weight difference?

Good choice.

My 2 cents to your questions:

1. Both are excellent saws. Both are highly reliable and pull about the same. I would go with non-Mtronic because I work on my own saws and live a long way from a dealer. But, this is more personal preference than anything else.

2. AFAIK, Stihl lists these saws for sale with 16, 18, or 20" bars. Probably all are reasonable. To me, the 20" seems too long. I mostly run 16" bars on 50cc pro saws...but, then, I have larger power heads available.

3. I know they balance really nicely with the 16" E or ES and the 18" E bars. I have not run them with a 18" ES or 20" or light bars.

Any of the options you say you're considering will be fine.

Roy

I am turning 14 this July. I will be using my savings from my firewood, pollinator-friendly mosquito control, and lawn care businesses as well as birthday money to buy a 261 because my 170 is good for carving and small tree removal but is terrible for bucking up huge logs. I originally wanted an MS 250 but really need something that can pull a 20" chain, be used frequently, and get double dogs. I am also going to buy a WCS kit ( Dogs to put on it and an exhaust mod once my warranty is up ) for it to upgrade it a bit. I need answers to the following questions:

Thank you for reading and hopefully answering!

And no, my ms 170 does not have a carving bar on it because I use an MS 194c ( Rear handle ) as a carver.

;
Hey I’m also 13 not turning 14 for awhile but anyway

I’m a echo guy myself but I own a 261 non mtronic I think ether way you go that is good but I run a 20in bar on mine it runs good and the wcs kit is great have them on my 660 and 460 but I think the echo cs590 or cs620 would be a better option I personally have the 590 and it has a costume pipe and a pop up piston it pulls a 24in full comp bar all day that is my 2 cents

I’m a echo guy myself but I own a 261 non mtronic I think ether way you go that is good but I run a 20in bar on mine it runs good and the wcs kit is great have them on my 660 and 460 but I think the echo cs590 or cs620 would be a better option I personally have the 590 and it has a costume pipe and a pop up piston it pulls a 24in full comp bar all day that is my 2 cents
Hmm... cool, do you also have a firewood business on your own? I sell my own in wrapped bundles of double-seasoned hardwood by the cubic foot for $8 a bundle. But This 4th may be my day of hopefully a lot of sales, but Treaudau's "Climate change" fire smoke coming way down south in Virginia may ruin my day of sales, as well as my mountain biking plan, Screw Treaudau! Take responsibility for your horrible forest management and stop sending us smoke you climate patsy!

You got a 660?

Yeah I have my own firewood I’ve had a stand for about a year know I sell a 1 cubic foot bundle for 5 dollars but in my area that’s all I can get and it supposed to rain here so idk about 4 of July but I sell mix hardwood in my bundles red oak and hickory I have them delivered a tri axle at a time
Hmm... cool, do you also have a firewood business on your own? I sell my own in wrapped bundles of double-seasoned hardwood by the cubic foot for $8 a bundle. But This 4th may be my day of hopefully a lot of sales, but Treaudau's "Climate change" fire smoke coming way down south in Virginia may ruin my day of sales, as well as my mountain biking plan, Screw Treaudau! Take responsibility for your horrible forest management and stop sending us smoke you climate patsy!

Yeah I have my own firewood I’ve had a stand for about a year know I sell a 1 cubic foot bundle for 5 dollars but in my area that’s all I can get and it supposed to rain here so idk about 4 of July but I sell mix hardwood in my bundles red oak and hickory I have them delivered a tri axle at a time
Tri-axle?

Do your parents help you? I get my wood from the local arborists who drop it by in logs. I use pine for carving, and hardwoods for firewood.
At first they did but I had to pay them back I tried to get tree service wood but they didn’t want to so it’s wtv but trust me come fall a Christmas time you will probably make a lot of money I made $1,000 in a five day period the week before Christmas but my true passion is felling trees and tree service

261 running an 18" bar is about right. It can handle a 20" but it's a slow go in hardwoods. Truthfully I just skip over the 50cc saws and grab a 60cc, then jump to 90cc. For years i ran the 60/90cc combo and it worked very well. About a year ago, more so due to lack of parts and available saws I picked up a stihl ms400cm, I doubt I'd go back to a 60cc saw now, more power and less weight. Heck of a runner. It's suited well with a 20" and does fine with a 24" bar/chain set up.
My logging buddy has always been a fan of 70cc saws. 372xp and most recently 572xp. Runs 20"b/c combo on his saws as well. The stihl ms 462cm is a great saw as well.
It basically boils down to a few things. What are you cutting, how fast do you want to get the job done, and how much of an up front investment do you want to make?
Really though you'll think a 261 is a light Saber vs a 170.

Sounds like you're on a budget, in that case I'd get a Standard 261 with regular 20" bar.

Good Luck,

Mad3400

261 running an 18" bar is about right. It can handle a 20" but it's a slow go in hardwoods. Truthfully I just skip over the 50cc saws and grab a 60cc, then jump to 90cc. For years i ran the 60/90cc combo and it worked very well. About a year ago, more so due to lack of parts and available saws I picked up a stihl ms400cm, I doubt I'd go back to a 60cc saw now, more power and less weight. Heck of a runner. It's suited well with a 20" and does fine with a 24" bar/chain set up.
My logging buddy has always been a fan of 70cc saws. 372xp and most recently 572xp. Runs 20"b/c combo on his saws as well. The stihl ms 462cm is a great saw as well.
It basically boils down to a few things. What are you cutting, how fast do you want to get the job done, and how much of an up front investment do you want to make?
Really though you'll think a 261 is a light Saber vs a 170.
I'd agree with the above. 60 to 90cc and nothing in-between for general cutting for myself. We all have a pile of smaller and bigger saws but W/P is always there in 59-65cc tools. Now that might change this year as the 400 has my eye since Rodney brought one out as a dealer demo some years back at a PA gtg. It's the 361 we dreamed of for years and years.

You young guys running the 261 are likely to enjoy the 16 or 18" setup on those being only 50cc. You might also want to consider the 1125 series refreshed and modded. They make all around good tools in general on the ground or up top. Once you get the balance right for your cutting needs you have far less energy wasted on working the tool verses it working you. You will find most of us are running a 20" setup on the 60cc class or on occasion a 24".
The big guns are just for bucking here most times and I prefer the 57 to 65cc class for average felling chores. 034, 034S, 036, 360, 360P, 361, 362 and other similar sizes in Dolkita or Husky although I only run the Dolkitas myself on occasions. Short and sweet is what gets it done faster most times.

You youngins will find your best cut speed is realized in how you setup the chain for the wood as opposed to "I need a bigger saw in the 70cc class."

LP is always cheaper to run overall and normally faster bucking or milling. 325 063 is my chain of choice for climbing on the 55-60cc power heads. 375 lp on the 35-42cc setups. My little Husky runs 325 050 16" for light ground trimming and busting up tops. The 018 or 180 covered that until an AV upgrade was need for these old hands. Those can be made to scoot pretty good with simple mods. The 435 replaced those.

The 441 has found a placement here, surprisingly. It mills fairly well on the short bars. Considering porting it to take on the 28" bar much better in oak. Overall it just a heavy sloppy pig to work with. So bucking or milling will be it's only use to me.

If you youngins need anything or are interested in some older tools give a shout. Won't be offering anything new until I'm settled in at the new place and my home shop is up and running. Same deal as before but avoiding the rebuild end this time and mostly sticking to new stuff or ported cylinders only. Getting out of general repair.

I'd agree with the above. 60 to 90cc and nothing in-between for general cutting for myself. We all have a pile of smaller and bigger saws but W/P is always there in 59-65cc tools. Now that might change this year as the 400 has my eye since Rodney brought one out as a dealer demo some years back at a PA gtg. It's the 361 we dreamed of for years and years.

You young guys running the 261 are likely to enjoy the 16 or 18" setup on those being only 50cc. You might also want to consider the 1125 series refreshed and modded. They make all around good tools in general on the ground or up top. Once you get the balance right for your cutting needs you have far less energy wasted on working the tool verses it working you. You will find most of us are running a 20" setup on the 60cc class or on occasion a 24".
The big guns are just for bucking here most times and I prefer the 57 to 65cc class for average felling chores. 034, 034S, 036, 360, 360P, 361, 362 and other similar sizes in Dolkita or Husky although I only run the Dolkitas myself on occasions. Short and sweet is what gets it done faster most times.

You youngins will find your best cut speed is realized in how you setup the chain for the wood as opposed to "I need a bigger saw in the 70cc class."

LP is always cheaper to run overall and normally faster bucking or milling. 325 063 is my chain of choice for climbing on the 55-60cc power heads. 375 lp on the 35-42cc setups. My little Husky runs 325 050 16" for light ground trimming and busting up tops. The 018 or 180 covered that until an AV upgrade was need for these old hands. Those can be made to scoot pretty good with simple mods. The 435 replaced those.

The 441 has found a placement here, surprisingly. It mills fairly well on the short bars. Considering porting it to take on the 28" bar much better in oak. Overall it just a heavy sloppy pig to work with. So bucking or milling will be it's only use to me.

If you youngins need anything or are interested in some older tools give a shout. Won't be offering anything new until I'm settled in at the new place and my home shop is up and running. Same deal as before but avoiding the rebuild end this time and mostly sticking to new stuff or ported cylinders only. Getting out of general repair.
The 400 was an eye opener, and truly what the 361/362 should have been all along. It is a bit closer to the 70cc mark then I would normally pick, but every bit as light and nimble as a 60cc saw.

The 400 was an eye opener, and truly what the 361/362 should have been all along. It is a bit closer to the 70cc mark then I would normally pick, but every bit as light and nimble as a 60cc saw.
Will have no issues offering them with a 3/4" wrap and 28" bar. The 32"lw might be pushing it as far as AV and the suspension. Have no problem getting those up to speed with some parts changes for climbers wanting something more precise when you flip it sideways. Gonna go after the carb flow area, inlet system and the filter when my life is right again. The rest is just going to be math, grinding, machining, and dual port. At 200 psi is should still do very well on boat gas 94 E free. Those who want it all will enjoy these climbing or falling I'm sure. TM post a mean one this month with a long bar. Myself will only need a 24" on it. Got bigger saws for the fat ones when the 32 comes out.

It saves pounds over this piggish 441 I've been running bucking 32" oak and some milling with a 36 on it. It needs the stuff and oil pump work for serious milling imho. The saw is still stone stock and boring but smooth.

We highjacked this good now back to your 261 programming.

Sold both of mine, too small. Good work tool with a muffler mod, advance the timing and grab the 18" 325 050 setup for it. Used them in buckets, lifts and tops on the ground. I prefer lighter 50cc offerings.

Both were carb. They all run about the same to me. Mtron 3 would be bonus for it.

ive got an Mtronic 261, it blew up and I havent invested into fixing it, id rather a buy a new 400C since I do residential/commercial removals day in and day out, that being said for someone your age (and im guessing size) a 261 will wear you out in a few hours, so I wouldn't get a bigger heavier saw

buy a 261C, and invest the extra money you would shave spent on a bigger saw on a pair of Clogger Zero saw pants instead
the Mtronic is a fairly fool proof system, resets in 90 seconds and no screwdriver to lose in the woods, ive ran both systems and couldnt care less which one I have TBH
worst case in 6 months you buy another bigger saw, they pay for themselves so easy its not funny

Latest posts

Back