261 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
And, now that I have made my MS 194 C into a carving saw, I bought an MS170 and it is an absolute garbage saw for cutting big hardwoods. But good for small stuff. This is me with a 30-inch round and am MS 194 C. I also have a Husky 340 with a 16" which is not my favorite because it is a fuel-thirsty Hummersaw.

What’s with these Seppo’s these man-childs?

All decked out with gear, but 6 years old & the physical horsepower of a blowfly!!

Freaking me out.

Huh? I know how to use a chainsaw thank you very much
What I infer from the comment @stihltech made is that the 261 has a lot of capability if you take advantage of it. Many will go with a more powerful saw following a brute force methodology even if it is not necessarily required.

It has been stated many times before on this site - the operator and his/her technique is critical in making the most out of whatever equipment you have. This is true with other things in life too... Put a $5000 guitar in the hand of a beginner and they will still sound like a beginner. A pro can make a $100 guitar sound good. A guitar won't cut your leg off, though 😄

No expert/pro/etc has gotten where they are without time. The common understanding is 10,000 hours of focused work improving your skill. That's 5 years of full time work, 40 hrs/week all year. It will take most at least twice that because the time spent can't be idle or doing something you have already perfected.
Sounds like you are on the right path with good goals. Keep working at it and listening to those that have already put the time in and honed their craft.

Well. I do all the above and keep my chains RAZOR sharp. I am actually buying it tomorrow. Are the Light 04 bars any good though? Should I get Mtronic? I might get m tronic because I will sometimes go to a customer's farmhouse in the Appalachian/ Sh

Huh? I know how to use a chainsaw thank you very much.
Get the saw first, then run it, as a stock saw first. Then and only then should you start to consider buying accessories for it. Don't be so eager to spend your money. Spend your money on safety gear first. Besides, new chains, files, bar oil and two stroke oil, gas, gloves, hard hat, plastic wedges will eat up the rest of your money.

Fineness in regards to bucking firewood translates to: I don't have anything better to do, and I have more firewood seasoned than I need.
If the 261 is your only saw, run a 16" on it and eventually get a 20" if you need it. Realistically, with the 261 and the correct technique a 16" bar will cut through a 20" to 22" round faster than a 20" bar because your not wasting power pulling the extra chain. If you spend a lot of time in wood that's over 20", you will eventually end up adding a bigger saw. The 261 is so close to the 362, that you will likely move straight to a 70cc saw if/when that time comes. Yes, a 261 will cut a 36" log with a 20" bar (not a 40", you loose a little from the dawgs), but it's painfully slow. It works if you're limited to a 50cc saw, but if you do it very often you soon get tired of it.

Get the saw first, then run it, as a stock saw first. Then and only then should you start to consider buying accessories for it. Don't be so eager to spend your money. Spend your money on safety gear first. Besides, new chains, files, bar oil and two stroke oil, gas, gloves, hard hat, plastic wedges will eat up the rest of your money.
Already have that stuff.

fields_mj

Yes, a 261 will cut a 36" log with a 20" bar (not a 40", you loose a little from the dawgs), but it's painfully slow. It works if you're limited to a 50cc saw, but if you do it very often you soon get tired of it.

I disagree. Here are some rounds that are 44" that I cut with my 261C with a 20''

fields_mj

Yes, a 261 will cut a 36" log with a 20" bar (not a 40", you loose a little from the dawgs), but it's painfully slow. It works if you're limited to a 50cc saw, but if you do it very often you soon get tired of it.

I disagree. Here are some rounds that are 44" that I cut with my 261C with a 20''
Pic of the bar…on the saw with same tape?
it’s a math thing…a 20” bar doesn’t get you 20” of cut unless you remove the dawg(s).

Well. I do all the above and keep my chains RAZOR sharp. I am actually buying it tomorrow. Are the Light 04 bars any good though? Should I get Mtronic? I might get m tronic because I will sometimes go to a customer's farmhouse in the Appalachian/ Sh

Huh? I know how to use a chainsaw thank you very much.
Yup, that is what they all say. Repair saws for forty years. Not many do.

What’s with these Seppo’s these man-childs?

All decked out with gear, but 6 years old & the physical horsepower of a blowfly!!

Freaking me out.
scared of being invaded by chainsaw wielding 6 year old's?
waiting on the post about it any day now, probably also with roos carrying spare chains and fuel in their pouches just hopping around following the kids?

I'm thinking more and more that this is a troll account. Either that, or this "young person" needs some better guidance as to how to interact with people for which he seemingly is requesting assistance.
Troll account? Maybe not. He seems to know what he's doing and when he first came in here, all he asked about was what kind of saw to get and people started jumping him due to his age. It seems to happen to a few other younger people that come in to the site.

. It seems to happen to a few other younger people that come in to the site.
not just this site, ive said it before and im gonna say it again

if you don't have 10+ years, or over 40 everyone thinks your a moron
my experience has almost 100% been the 10+ year guys are the ones getting hurt and doing dumb stuff anyways, most of them local to me are crackheads
I don't see how the industry will keep going if all the old farts scare off anyone trying to get into it

not just this site, ive said it before and im gonna say it again

if you don't have 10+ years, or over 40 everyone thinks your a moron
my experience has almost 100% been the 10+ year guys are the ones getting hurt and doing dumb stuff anyways, most of them local to me are crackheads
I don't see how the industry will keep going if all the old farts scare off anyone trying to get into it
I have no problem with people at any age and have total respect for someone younger developing a passion for something in particular that can become a lifelong skill or profession. I am no expert myself in the chainsaw world even though I'm well past 40. I joined this site to learn and help where I can. What I haven't done is ask questions and refute all the advice I was given. It comes across as a bit disrespectful imo. It wouldn't be the first time someone is not who he or she says they are on an internet forum 😁. Assuming for a minute this is a honest portrayal - I have no knowledge of this user other than this thread - all I'm suggesting is that if you ask for help or have a question have the courtesy to take a breath and accept it. If you don't understand ask for clarification. If you don't find it helpful that's ok too, however, some things require a degree of digestion before they can take hold. It is not prudent to dismiss a suggestion based on a first read and/or face value.

Quotes like this don't help his cause or my belief that he is on the up and up though:
Take responsibility for your horrible forest management and stop sending us smoke you climate patsy!

I have no problem with people at any age and have total respect for someone younger developing a passion for something in particular that can become a lifelong skill or profession. I am no expert myself in the chainsaw world even though I'm well past 40. I joined this site to learn and help where I can. What I haven't done is ask questions and refute all the advice I was given. It comes across as a bit disrespectful imo. It wouldn't be the first time someone is not who he or she says they are on an internet forum 😁. Assuming for a minute this is a honest portrayal - I have no knowledge of this user other than this thread - all I'm suggesting is that if you ask for help or have a question have the courtesy to take a breath and accept it. If you don't understand ask for clarification. If you don't find it helpful that's ok too, however, some things require a degree of digestion before they can take hold. It is not prudent to dismiss a suggestion based on a first read and/or face value.

Quotes like this don't help his cause or my belief that he is on the up and up though:
I don't disagree, but I also realize that when I'm dealing with young people, I need to use more grace than I otherwise would. It's not just today's youth. We were all that way when we were young. It reminds me of a saying I heard. College is where you go to learn how smart your parents really are. Of course the other saying I heard was that college is where you go to learn more and more about less and less until you know everything there is to know about absolutely nothing. I'm pretty sure that both sayings are accurate....

fields_mj

Yeah, I call BS on that. Put that saw and bar up on that round with that tape measure, and snap a pic. First, that round, in the direction you are measuring it, is over 48" The tape is reading around 45-3/4", and the body of most tapes is over 3". I'm not saying that you can't cut through a 48" log with a 20" bar (my dad did it with an 18" because he didn't want to wait on me to bring a bigger saw up), but the end result doesn't look anything like what you have pictured. That bar is at least 22", likely 24 or 25.

Yeah, I call BS on that. Put that saw and bar up on that round with that tape measure, and snap a pic. First, that round, in the direction you are measuring it, is over 48" The tape is reading around 45-3/4", and the body of most tapes is over 3". I'm not saying that you can't cut through a 48" log with a 20" bar (my dad did it with an 18" because he didn't want to wait on me to bring a bigger saw up), but the end result doesn't look anything like what you have pictured. That bar is at least 22", likely 24 or 25.
Well. 2 days ago I cut a log about 37'' in diameter with no problems. I also cut a detour into this tree blocking a trail in some woods by my house.

Attachments

• 20230724_182448 (1).jpg
    20230724_182448 (1).jpg
    485.9 KB · Views: 2

Latest posts

Back