262xp - non-decomp vs decomp cylinders - Early vs Late

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Spring1898

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Never messed with a 262 before, then happened to get 2 at the same time; early and late model.
I have heard that early 262's were stronger. I think I found the reason.
Take a look at the difference in transfers: Early KS (non-decomp) on the left, late Mahle (decomp) on the right

20190217_215219_resized.jpg 20190217_215235_resized.jpg

20190217_221315_resized.jpg 20190217_221319_resized.jpg

Kind of hard to get everything in the pictures, but I will explain what I see

Early KS - Transfer tunnels are much more hogged out (I would have thought it was a port job if not for the casting slag). Lower transfers are narrower, upper transfers are wider but shorter. Internal and External casting is rougher.

Late Mahle - Wider lower transfer port openings, but noticeably smaller tunnels (the "roof" of the tunnel is the difference). Taller but narrower upper transfer size.

So, experts can explain, but there are not only timing differences, but the volume of the transfer tunnels to take into account. That said the late model already has wider openings, and hogging out the tunnels would be very easy to do to make it as strong or stronger (timing permitting).

Does anyone make a quality aftermarket 262 cylinder? I would be curious to see which version they copied.

On another note, I always heard the squish was always really tight on these saws, but I couldn't even measure the squish on the early 262, as it didn't clamp on my solder at all... Forgot to measure squish on the late 262 before I pulled it off.

I’ve seen a ton of variation in the 262 jug. The Mahle non-decomp (yup) has the biggest tunnels and lowers, not the KS. The KS seem deeper than the Mahle.

Some jugs have the flywheel indent on the Fly side and some have it on both. Both can be blended a bit.

The smaller tight directional upper is where the KS shines. Yes, I said smaller.

Do this for a while and you’ll figure out bigger isn’t always better with these motors.

All I know is 1990 KS impressed me stock.

Mahle and it might have had decomp. Cant find my old pics of clutch side to know for sure. Didnt impress me. Just another 60cc saw IMO nothing special. Preferred running my 3750.

MA Top with 346 was nothing speical stock even with muffler mod.
KS Bottom no muffler work impressed stock and not broke in on first tank.
KS cylinder

h346xpgOE.JPG h262x.jpg h262fixxxx.jpg h262crossh.jpg h262crosshh.jpg

All I know is 1990 KS impressed me stock.

Mahle and it might have had decomp. Cant find my old pics of clutch side to know for sure. Didnt impress me. Just another 60cc saw IMO nothing special.

The 262 pictured is early pre decomp. if oringinal. Compartment in rear handle and decal with red xp and no air injection.

@albert thats the 1990 one that impressed me with KS and 87. ;) The other later one didnt. 2 different 262's in my pics.

1990 with the orange XP. 2 different 262's in pics

If you notice they both had the compartment though.
The original orange "XP" is the giveaway.

Great saws. The 87 carb makes a big difference also.

I love 262's. My favorite Husky.

Back