262xpg worth modding...?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grqnbech

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hi guys

I am the happy owner of these 2 old ladies.
I have been working with these 2 saws for 7 years now...
2013_04_07_19_59_41.jpg

I want more power... I tried a 372xpg a couple of days ago and I fell in love..... :)

How much more power can I get out of these saws...? I have been looking at the cylinder and there is not much room for porting... the transfer port kan be made a little bigger at the exhaust port can be made a little bigger and then I can do a muffler mod...

I don´t think I wanna mess with timing....

what would you do..?

You are correct...there is little to do compared to some other saws.....but there are gains to be had.....what years are these saws?? Decompression valve or not? Other than rather dirty they look to be in good shape....well worth working on. But you won't get the power of a 372XPG out of them n matter what you do......there is simply no replacement for displacement. The beauty of the 262 is the power to weight ratio, the nimbleness/handling limbing etc... You will find that the 372 will not be as good/handy for this type of work. My recommendation would be new Meteor pistons for both...new crank seals and O-rings and port to 70%...smooth out the transfers....open up the piston windows..... set the squish to 0.020"....there are also a couple different carb sizes for these saw too...but as I said you'll not get the 372XPG stage with these saws...different animal all together...but still gains to be had and and worth the work for a pair of fine classic Husqvarna saws....

So why would I chance them if there is no gain in performance I thought maybe it was a new design

thoughts

I bought 2 used stock 262's thinking I was stepping into the "twilight zone"of "hot rod" saws.I was not impressed with either.Both saws had very limited usage but didn't rock my boat.I sent one to Randy(Mastermind)for some loving.I'm not saying I'll dust any 372's, but they are stout now.I sent the second 262 to Randy with equally impressive results.I like compact stout saws.The performance gains were impressive.In 40 years of daily saw use,I don't impress easily.Some day I hope to put a video on AS..Ported 262/562xp/361 shootout.

So why would I chance them if there is no gain in performance I thought maybe it was a new design

Because any saw this old and used a lot will benefit from a new piston....wear is wear... and on a single ring piston it requires good piston fit as well as ring fit. If you want to build a fast saw motor you gotta start with a good piston...if money is of no consequence ...sure...go OEM....but you should not be considering porting with a worn piston...not worth the risk...just sayin'

Why not sale one of those 262s and buy a 372. You will never make a 262 into a 372. I had a 262xp for years and then broke down and bought a brand new 372xp and dam I could never find a reason to use the 262 after that.

...I want more power... I tried a 372xpg a couple of days ago and I fell in love...

what would you do..?

I'd keep the 262's, clean and refurbish them, and pick up a 372 for the power of a 70cc saw. I've never run a 262, but I bought a perfectly good MS440 from a guy who put it up for sale because he preferred his 262.

Last edited:
a ported 262 is a thing of beauty.

This myth that there is no gains from porting is total bunk. There is lot's of room to widen. The jugs look like a mini MS440/460. Very easy to port. On mine, removing base gasket gave me .021 squish and ridiculous compression. I plug the decomps on almost all my saws, but on this one I put it back on :) Do all that and muff mod and it will spank any stock 70cc saw.

I bought 2 used stock 262's thinking I was stepping into the "twilight zone"of "hot rod" saws.I was not impressed with either.Both saws had very limited usage but didn't rock my boat.I sent one to Randy(Mastermind)for some loving.I'm not saying I'll dust any 372's, but they are stout now.I sent the second 262 to Randy with equally impressive results.I like compact stout saws.The performance gains were impressive.In 40 years of daily saw use,I don't impress easily.Some day I hope to put a video on AS..Ported 262/562xp/361 shootout.

562 leaves here in the am.

Been awile

A Mastermind 262 will hand a stock 372 a butt whipping.
It's been so long since I've run a stock saw,I couldn't say. My saw collection shrank drastically after my initial use of "non-stock saws".Fast and light= keeper.

I had a 262xp for 8 years and it was a hard starting PIG and was impressive only good for an 18" bar in our wood

a ported 262 is a thing of beauty.

This myth that there is no gains from porting is total bunk. There is lot's of room to widen. The jugs look like a mini MS440/460. Very easy to port. On mine, removing base gasket gave me .021 squish and ridiculous compression. I plug the decomps on almost all my saws, but on this one I put it back on :) Do all that and muff mod and it will spank any stock 70cc saw.

do you have any pictures on your port job...?

Did you take the base gasket away or replaced it with a thinder one... ?

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back