268 Xp tuning issue

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Husky gas axe

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone I am a new member and have been reading/ learning as much as I can on old posts. I have a issue on my saw that has me stumped.
I just did a piston/ cylinder kit on my 1989 268 Xp. Crank seals got replaced. New gaskets and carb kit. New fuel line and filter. Starts and idles fine, no issues with that. - when I go to set the high speed mixture screw it runs about the same wide open no matter how the screw is set. 1/2 way out, 2 turns out, all the way in, it is all the same. I am thinking about trying a new carb. Just wondering if anyone has encountered a similar problem. I definitely want to get the issue rectified so I do not Lean it out and scuff out the saw. Thank you in advance- Kyle.

Sounds like the high side is stopped up with something or it isn't getting enough fuel to richen up the tune. Check your fuel lines and carb. Your right in thinking it shouldn't do that. You may also have an air leak and not getting enough fuel to compensate for it. Go over your work on the seals again. I sometimes have fun with husky seals getting installed correctly. Hope that helps ya. Keep after it. Those are good saws.

When you kitted the carb did you remove any welch plugs present and clean under them?.....Cliff
I did not remove them. Perhaps I should have. I soaked the carb body in cleaner for weeks and blew it out with compressed air. I was told I could easily damage the seating surface the welch plug sits in??? Maybe I should have tried to tackle it. I still can.

I rebuilt mine a few years back, and at the time was having issues with it. Carb kit, fuel line, vent, crank seals, etc. It didn't help one bit. Removed the welch plugs and cleaned out under them, no more issues.....Cliff

Had some time, got my carb off the 268. I have 2 replacement welch plugs, the smaller of the two has a jet in its place #56. Should I replace the jet with welch plug provided in my rebuild kit?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    174.7 KB · Views: 8
Back