272 chainbrake coming on on its own

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parrisw

Tree Freak
Reaction score
What would cause a chainbrake to come on on it's own, the guy I'm fixing it for says when he is bucking the chain brake sometime just clicks on??? Could be just worn parts? I haven't taken it apart yet.

same crank case as my 66 if it is an early model 272 then the chaibreak mech is the same. the saw is flexible in the middle and the chainbrake is hooked to the rear handle. therefore when etreme pressure is put on the rear handle the break engages. hope this helps.

There's a torsion spring in the brake handle that acts as a retainer of sorts. When it gets worn, the brake comes on easily. It's part #503 49 34-01 in my IPL. Also that return spring can get worn (503 46 59-01) but that's not as common.

272brake.jpg

same crank case as my 66 if it is an early model 272 then the chaibreak mech is the same. the saw is flexible in the middle and the chainbrake is hooked to the rear handle. therefore when etreme pressure is put on the rear handle the break engages. hope this helps.

Any remedy?

There's a torsion spring in the brake handle that acts as a retainer of sorts. When it gets worn, the brake comes on easily. It's part #503 49 34-01 in my IPL. Also that return spring can get worn (503 46 59-01) but that's not as common.

272brake.jpg

Thanks JJ, I'll take a look at that, I'm thinking I'll just replace both springs.

You could also look inside the brake handle and see if there's a groove cut into it from the torsion spring. I've seen a few that were put together wrong and the spring cut its way into the handle and didn't work right.

You could also look inside the brake handle and see if there's a groove cut into it from the torsion spring. I've seen a few that were put together wrong and the spring cut its way into the handle and didn't work right.

Which one is the torsion spring? The big one?

I'm going out now to take a look, be back in a bit.

Ok, I think it was that spring. How is the 503 49 34-01 supposed to be installed properly??? Kinda hard to figure by the diagram. I looked like it was just sitting in there doing nothing, I pulled the handle off, then the pin and it was just sitting in there, I just pulled it out with pliers.

Ok, I think it was that spring. How is the 503 49 34-01 supposed to be installed properly??? Kinda hard to figure by the diagram. I looked like it was just sitting in there doing nothing, I pulled the handle off, then the pin and it was just sitting in there, I just pulled it out with pliers.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey Mr. parrisw if you need some parts let me know I have allot of these saw,s 61,66,261,266 268xp,and 272xp let me know you always have been good to me . best of luck Bill :clap:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- Hey Mr. parrisw if you need some parts let me know I have allot of these saw,s 61,66,261,266 268xp,and 272xp let me know you always have been good to me . best of luck Bill :clap:

I'll surely let ya know. At this point it looks like it might not need anything. I'm thinking that spring was installed wrong, not sure yet, haven't figured out how its supposed to go together.

Thanks for the offer.

Back