272 xp Question?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

monkeywood

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ten year old 272xp has no spark. The problem is not the plug or the kill switch. Can i assume the that the problem is the coil.

Can i take the coil from either a 350 or a 371, and put it in the 272 to diagnose, or at least eliminate wrong answers.

Also I can see scoring thru the exhaust port on the piston. Once the ignition problem is solved. I would like some advisement on aftermarket piston and cylinder. Let me know also if anyone has the outside felling spike, an air cleaner, or a brake assy for this machine.

Thank you,

Monkeywood

Ten year old 272xp has no spark. The problem is not the plug or the kill switch. Can i assume the that the problem is the coil.

Can i take the coil from either a 350 or a 371, and put it in the 272 to diagnose, or at least eliminate wrong answers.

Also I can see scoring thru the exhaust port on the piston. Once the ignition problem is solved. I would like some advisement on aftermarket piston and cylinder. Let me know also if anyone has the outside felling spike, an air cleaner, or a brake assy for this machine.

Thank you,

Monkeywood

Check the air gap first. Last I knew there was no aftermarket kit for the 272, just the 268 (but not XP). Used ones are around but not cheap for good ones. Hopefully you can clean up your cylinder and just drop a new piston in.

Thank you

Thanks for the input gentlemen. With your help and the grace of God maybe we'll get her back on the road.

I am bumping this because I thought the 55 shared a coil with the 268 and 272. If that is the case, there are a bunch of 51/55 coils around. PM me if you need one, it's yours if they are compatible.

Jason

Coil

The 55 coil looks and mounts the same as the 272 but there is a slight difference in flywheel dia. When going through a box of coils I used an extra 55 flywheel and then took the ones that looked right but didn't quite fit the flywheel as the 272's. Came up wiith a few good ones that way and was able to replace the green K coil on one of my 61/272's......Bob

Latest posts

Back