28.5cc liquid cooled 6.5hp at 17k

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

davhul

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
For the past couple years I wanted to put my extra redline race engine that looks like this in a saw frame. I have drawings of it going in a chopped up ms390 case assy and a backpack with 12volt pump. It wouldn't be to practical more of damn look at that. I might Attempt it this winter. It puts out over 6hp at 17,000rpm. Any thoughts. It would be built right don't want to get hurt!
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

With a chain on it the engine will most run about 12-13,000 rpm depending on sprocket and bar size. Cooling will be another thing to be worked out as you will need some type of radiator to dissipate heat from the water.

With a chain on it the engine will most run about 12-13,000 rpm depending on sprocket and bar size. Cooling will be another thing to be worked out as you will need some type of radiator to dissipate heat from the water.
I wasn't going to run a radiator. It would just piss on the ground. Like the boat does. It wouldn't be for cutting up a whole tree Just a few cuts at a time. I also would like to have the head sticking up through the top cover for the apearance. Here's a vid with a test prop and running fat

Attachments

• trim.E0C43F2C-05F5-48EB-8F9B-817E47645D5B.MOV
    8.1 MB · Views: 26
Vid didnt work. Made it shorter

Attachments

• trim.69BE91B7-C45D-4F21-AB29-161E77EF45DC.MOV
    5.6 MB · Views: 10
If I understand these boats set up's correctly doesn't the cooling water rely on the forward motion of the boat forcing the coolant around the motor? or does it have a coolant pump? if not how are you going to persuade the coolant to flow around the motor & if using a total loss system (spits it out when used) where/what are you going to use to contain the unused coolant? I assume you will only be running for brief periods but bear in mind that an Imperial 8pt gallon of water on its own (without container) weighs 10 lbs mounted on the saw will increase the weight by a fair amount I have seen this done with a 30cc model aero Glow Plug motor but that was air cooled that got VERY hot after a couple of minutes running ( reduced air flow)

Thinking back to the early 80's the 80cc GP road race bike I had, 2smoke rotary valve Aprillia motor reving to 22,500 & producing 28HP at the rear wheel AND a 20/1 fuel mix ratio

Thinking back to the early 80's the 80cc GP road race bike I had, 2smoke rotary valve Aprillia motor reving to 22,500 & producing 28HP at the rear wheel AND a 20/1 fuel mix ratio
Then You remember the oval piston Honda race bikes. Had 2 oval Pistons 2 rods per piston and would turn 23,000 rpm

Hard to imagine that staying together!
Well it did with me 3 seasons of racing, including 3 times the Isle of Man Manx GP 4 laps of 37 3/4 miles each of every day roads, ( Closed for the meetings) not a track, & some 40 other meetings,over my ownership time period, serviced, change of ring, & 1 replacement crank/flywheels to incorporate an update I had 3 retirements & non could be attributed to the motor

Have you though of using an extra bar oil worm gear pump as a cooling water pump?

I have a water pump that runs off the crankcase pressure it's used on boats with clutches. So they pump even when it's not moving. If I start and it doesn't seem feasible then I'll know, Hey I tried and it didn't work

Also in the time period all "head banger "closed public road meetings 2 Ulster GP's , 2 Southern 100's 100mile races, Tangradee 100, & half a dozen shorter road circuit races,all in Ireland the Italian GP at Monza, the GP at the Hungaroring, French GP at Circuit Paul Richard, & the Portuguese GP at Estoril I changed to 125cc 2 smoke single cyl GP bikes the older version of Moto 3 When I reached 65 years of age the FIM would not renew my International racing license ( Age Discrimination )possibly a good excuse as by that time it had become VERY expensive

Latest posts

Back