288XP Chain loosening all the time...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ciscoguy01

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Soooooo, while running my 288XP the last few times I noticed that even though I tighten, stop tighten again for some reason the chain keeps loosing up. I mostly use it to cut stumps at the base of the trees. I looked the tensioner assbly and it seems to be working fine, I don't think it should matter since the bar nuts hold that in place, correct? I notice that the chain will sag, but when I rotate it, it will tighten back up a bit. Could this be the sprocket? Bearing? Not really sure why this would keep doing that. I'm running a GB 20" bar with LGX chain. The chain seems to fit in the sprocket well, I was thinking incorrect chain maybe, but I remembering it happening with the 24" bar and a different chain as well. Anything else I should be looking at? Appreciate the info. Thanks guys

:cheers:

Excluding drive and tip sprocket mismatched to chain, the only things I can think of is rim to drum mismatch, or worse - a bent crank....:confused:

I would start with a new sprocket that matches the chain and try another bar. Next change out the adjuster screw, it is cheap from Bailey's. Stumping creates a great deal of heat and causes chain growth and chain stretch but you said the chain tightens when you spin it. Pull the clutch drum just to be sure everything is OK underneath it.

As 2dogs said, stumping creates a lot of heat. When flush cutting stumps, my 72LGX stretches a LOT. I noticed this characteristic (stretching, even with normal cuts) when I switched from Stihl chain. I make sure the tip of the bar is up (there is a little up and down play in bar before bar nuts are tightened) when adjusting the chain. Helps a little. Hope it's just the chain stretching and nothing serious.

Later,

.... I make sure the tip of the bar is up (there is a little up and down play in bar before bar nuts are tightened) when adjusting the chain. Helps a little. Hope it's just the chain stretching and nothing serious.

Later,

I am pretty sure Cisco knows that.........

The Sprocket is like brand new, maybe the dude got a different type of sprocket or something. I always hold the tip of the bar up when tightening. Oddly I just learned to do that about 4 or 5 yrs ago. It's a good trick. Ugh, I hope the crank isn't bent. It does do the same thing weather I'm bucking logs or cutting stumps etc... One thing that makes me wonder, the dude that had it before me did always keep his chains, from what I do, excessively tight. Could that cause long term issues?

:popcorn:

if the crank was bent it would only change tension when the motor turns, so if you just pull the chain around by hand and it's doing it, I'd check the sprokets and the bearing.
Back in my younger years I also learned that just a little bit of that nice sawdust/oil crap under the clamping area will give you fits trying to keep it tight too.

I really doubt you have a bent crankshaft.

One thing I would check other than what the others have said would be to pull the bar plate off that sets over the bar studs, clean the area well and look and see if crankcase is cracked around the studs. Also try and wiggle the studs and see if loose in case.

If so it will probably be the front stud that is cracked. This will make the stud loose and allow the bar to move up or down a little while using.

The crankcases cracking in this area on that model husky is not really that uncommon.

Good Luck

Ugh...

I really doubt you have a bent crankshaft.

One thing I would check other than what the others have said would be to pull the bar plate off that sets over the bar studs, clean the area well and look and see if crankcase is cracked around the studs. Also try and wiggle the studs and see if loose in case.

If so it will probably be the front stud that is cracked. This will make the stud loose and allow the bar to move up or down a little while using.

The crankcases cracking in this area on that model husky is not really that uncommon.

Good Luck

God I hope its not that...

:cry:

.... One thing that makes me wonder, the dude that had it before me did always keep his chains, from what I do, excessively tight. Could that cause long term issues?

:popcorn:

What it could do, is just what I suggested, bend the crank - specially if it was tightened with the chain hot, and then left to cool off without loosening it up......:censored:

Btw, sprocket rims that aren't quite round have been known to appear now and then - take a really close look at it!

Last edited:
Back