288xp New Guy questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BongoBob

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hi guys,

I have a couple of "new guy" questions.

I just picked up a Husqvarna 288xp from a logger friend of mine. He just rebuilt it and it runs great...he gave me a good deal on it at $200.00, so I'm quite happy. I've cut lots of firewood over the years, but I'm no chainsaw expert...not even close! I know where the gas mix and chain oil go, I know how to properly set chain tension and remove chain, & bar. I know how to remove and clean air cleaner and spark plug, and how to adjust the idle...that's about it.

Here are my questions:

1. oil/fuel mix ratio...what works best in these saws.

2. I have no idea what year this saw is. How can I tell? Does it matter?

3. What would a good bar lenght be for most W.Coast firewood chores? It's got a 32" bar on it now, but that seem a bit longer than I need

4. Anything I should be aware of with this saw...common tips or problems?

Thanks for the help...I'll be reading through the forums here and gaining all the saw smarts I can.

Cheers,
BongoBob

Last edited:
Hi guys,

I have a couple of "new guy" questions.

I just picked up a Husqvarna 288xp from a logger friend of mine. He just rebuilt it and it runs great...he gave me a good deal on it at $200.00, so I'm quite happy. I've cut lots of firewood over the years, but I'm no chainsaw expert...not even close! I know where the gas mix and chain oil go, I know how to properly set chain tension and remove chain, & bar. I know how to remove and clean air cleaner and spark plug, and how to adjust the idle...that's about it.

Here are my questions:

1. oil/fuel mix ratio...what works best in these saws.

2. I have no idea what year this saw is. How can I tell? Does it matter?

3. What would a good bar lenght be for most W.Coast firewood chores? It's got a 32" bar on it now, but that seem a bit longer than I need

4. Anything I should be aware of with this saw...common tips or problems?

Thanks for the help...I'll be reading through the forums here and gaining all the saw smarts I can.

Cheers,
BongoBob

Welcome to the site. I would run Husky or Stihl oil and mix it 50 to 1 that's what we run in ours. Use high test pump gas. We run AV fuel in all of ours but that's just my preference. They run cooler with a muffler mod. I have no idea about the age of the saw but it's fairly old. They are good saws BIL has one with low compression but it still runs and cuts real strong. As for the bar we run mostly 20" and 24" for fire wood but have everything in between up to a 36". The 24 is my pick since I have back trouble I don't have to bend so much.

Don't know of any real problems with this saw. Keep it sharp, keep the air filter clean, and run good fresh mix and it should tear up some wood. Keep reading and you will learn a lot. I thought I was pretty smart till I got here.
Good luck and Saw Safe. :chainsaw:

Welcome to AS, there are a lot of very knowledgeable members on here. The 288XP is a highly respected chainsaw and a little bigger than most firewood cutters would use for that type of work but bigger is better unless you mind the weight. The power is high and on here power rules.LOL .To start answering your questions the mix ratio of 40:1 is considered fine using good brands of two stroke oil.
There are some members on here that can tell the year of manufacture from the serial number, if you can post it then they will chime in.
Bar length usually depends on the diameter of the most common wood you are cutting, a lot of members settle on bars around 25"-30" with usually the shortest bar length that will cut the most frequently encountered wood diameter.
They are mostly problem free, the oiler and drive are the things that I have seen that needs more repairs other than normal tuneup parts, like filters,plugs and fuel lines.
Keep the chain sharp, the air filter clean and the fuel fresh with proper oil mix ratio and go cut wood.
Pioneerguy600

That is a big powerful saw for a guy that has not got much experience. Be careful in your cuts, watch the bar tip and the kickback that can result from it...

I run 50:1 Stihl Ultra and 92 octane in my saws... old and new. Doesn't matter the brand of saw either.

a 32" bar is a long bar for a new guy as well... bring it back to a 24" bar you'll prolly be happier. It will reduce the weight some too. That 288 is fully capable of a 32" or even a 36" bar in the PNW softwoods.

I have no idea what year that saw is. Like pioneerguy said there are guys here that can tell you the year from the serial number.

Clean the air filter on regular intervals, and keep your chain sharp... on the longer bars 24" and longer you will prolly like full skip chain better than full comp...

Gary

Latest posts

Back