288xp P&C

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tree Feller

J &J Tree Service
Reaction score
I have a buddy who has a older 288xp non-decomp. the saw was running and locked up? I would say a lean siezure? It has no compression now so i removed the muffler and sure enough the piston is scored. I'm going to try to buy this saw and was wondering what P&C kit i need? I see different OEM #'s? Do i need the 503 50 29-01 or 503 90 74-71? I would like to have the decomp if possible? Will the cylinder with the decomp fit this 288?? This is my first real saw build. I have worked on saws (muffler mods, tunning and other small stuff) but never reall tore into one? Is there anything i need to know before starting into this saw? Any info would be appricated!!

I don't even know if P/C kits are still available OEM. I would just post in the classifieds and Swap Meet threads for a used cylinder and then order up a Meteor piston. The difference bw the decomp and non-decomp is not huge. You will be happy with either. Just delete the base gasket and do a muffler mod and you won't know the difference.

I don't even know if P/C kits are still available OEM. I would just post in the classifieds and Swap Meet threads for a used cylinder and then order up a Meteor piston. The difference bw the decomp and non-decomp is not huge. You will be happy with either. Just delete the base gasket and do a muffler mod and you won't know the difference.[/QUOTE

I should have been more percise what i meant was the after market kits say they replace OEM# 503 50 29-01 and 503 90 74-71? I was mainly concerned about them bolting on? If the decomp will bolt on I will get that one. What do I put on the base if i delete the gasket? Also what should the squish be?

Sorry, I haven't been "digging" into this topic - the first one I would have asked if I needed something is Spike60 (he is a site sponsor, and an excellent Husky/Jonsered dealer).

OK, the first place I found that had it listed wanted $367 for it...I would post a wanted ad for a used OEM and buy a Meteor piston...done, for less than $200 (and replace the seals while you're at it).

Wow thats crazy high! Are you refering to the crank seals?

I found a used oem with decomp and purchased a new meteor piston. I also replaced the gas line seals and oil pump o-ring as well.

I got the saw tore apart last night. This is what I found.DSCF4327.JPG DSCF4327.JPG DSCF4330.JPG DSCF4331.JPG DSCF4332.JPG

Looks like it run lean for sure. I will get a new piston and a member here has a good used OEM cylinder! This cylinder i think will be ok? But i don't want to take any chances. Whats ya'lls thoughts?

You cylinder pics are too dark to see much, but based on what I see on the piston, I would be surprised if that cylinder won't clean up. If you want to just use the one you have coming, I would be glad to take the scuffed one off your hands.

Don't put much emphasis on what a plug tells you. Unless it is done in a specific way it is not much good. It can only give you a synopsis of its life, it doesn't tell you what was going on just before the failure which is what you need to know. I can look at your piston and tell you that unless there is scuffing on the intake side too, most likely that saw was run lean, either from an air leak or having the H needle set too lean.

Latest posts

Back