288XP vs 395XP

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Griff93

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a 288XP that needs a top end, ignition coil, carb kit, and top cover. It melted a piston so I'm guessing it has an air leak. I'd probably want to build the bottom end as well. I use the saw professionally and like it but I'm considering getting a 395xp and selling the 288 as a parts saw. I got the saw second hand and used it for several years. It has been run hard but other than the above mentioned issues the rest of it is in useable shape. It's not pretty but I'm not worried about looks as it's a work saw. I have not run a 395xp. I don't know anybody locally that has one. I have picked it up at our local saw shop but holding it in the store doesn't tell me much. I have multiple large husky bars and other saws that take them(372, 562, CS-8000). I mainly want something for cutting up really large trunks and doing stump cuts. When the saw was running good it had enough power to do what I'm using it for but more wouldn't hurt. I normally run a 32" bar with a skip chisel. It seemed like every time I turned around I was chasing another issue with it. That gets old when your using it to make a living. Should I rebuild my old 288xp or should I sell it and buy a new 395xp?

I had a 288. Mastermind ported it. I now have two 394s. I know other will think I'm nuts and flog me for it but as far as a work saw for felling, it'd be a 385/390xp all day long of the three (288/390/395). Where the 39 (4/5) shines is in the BIG wood with a real long bar or on a mill. Since I'm using mine on an Alaskan.. they fit in nicely.

If you are working the saw, sell your 288 here in the classifieds and buy a modern saw to work with. The ignitions are cheaper and easier to deal with, parts are a bit easier to find, and it'll be better off in the long run, IMHO.

A 385/390 feels just like a 372 but runs a whole lot stronger.

I had a 288. Mastermind ported it. I now have two 394s. I know other will think I'm nuts and flog me for it but as far as a work saw for felling, it'd be a 385/390xp all day long of the three (288/390/395). Where the 39 (4/5) shines is in the BIG wood with a real long bar or on a mill. Since I'm using mine on an Alaskan.. they fit in nicely.

If you are working the saw, sell your 288 here in the classifieds and buy a modern saw to work with. The ignitions are cheaper and easier to deal with, parts are a bit easier to find, and it'll be better off in the long run, IMHO.

A 385/390 feels just like a 372 but runs a whole lot stronger.

Spot on...love a 385/390 feels like an angry 372...395 is like a cinder-block with the core filled and pulls like a train. If you are not running a 36" or longer...385/390 is your huckleberry. Funny how the weight of a 390 is manageable but the 395 is draining..(to me). I honestly hate the inboard clutch too but that's just me...that sideways thing always gets me arse, especially when its time to change the bar/chain on a >36" set up.

If you are stumping, the 395 is the clear choice for 30"+ bars. Stumping is hard on saws and demands a saw that can peg the power and hold it. The ground reflects the heat, demanding a saw that can be more relaxed when slinging a long chain. I agree with the others, for a felling saw the 385/390/288, but when you mention something for stumping and "cutting up really large trunks", those go out the door in favor of the 395 IMO. Also, the 395 can run a 32" bar with full comp chain and not break a sweat. More cutters get the job done faster.

I gotta say... My 390 is pretty awesome for a 28-32 bar, but I bought it from a logger that was stumping and needed more butt. He now runs 395s.

what do you do professionally? if falling i couldn't imagine you needing anything bigger then a 372 in AL. heck, guys are taking 12' at the ass cedars with a 372 where i'm from.

The fallers in my area have almost all switched to 395s... I just walked my property today marking trees and we have at least 50 tree that are 32" + and all are hardwood. Can't vouch for the alabamians, but pa boys like the grunt.

The fallers in my area have almost all switched to 395s... I just walked my property today marking trees and we have at least 50 tree that are 32" + and all are hardwood. Can't vouch for the alabamians, but pa boys like the grunt.
Big red oaks down in PA ? We just cut a nice bush up here in Canada 200thing trees all 30inch at the but . virgin bush . the 661 got a work out with the 24inch bar .

I've had ported 288's and 394/5's and I like the 288 the best for general cutting because it's a bit lighter and the AV is a little easier to deal with for technical cuts. Granted I made my 288 a little far beyond a normal woods port. If I'm bucking logs or stumping the 394/5 is the better choice. They have power to spare and the AV makes even a super aggressive chain feel smooth but I don't like to carry them far with a large bar.

i can fall 32" with a 50cc saw fitted with a 16" bar LOL working in the woods is all about weight. why the heck would i carry a 395 when i can get away with a 390. a guy carrying a 395 for max 32" wood is a mad man. of course, he's probably on near level ground so it's alot easier. carry a 395 around in our woods for half a day. most guys would have their man card taken away due to crying to go home after a few hours. LOL

i can fall 32" with a 50cc saw fitted with a 16" bar LOL working in the woods is all about weight. why the heck would i carry a 395 when i can get away with a 390. a guy carrying a 395 for max 32" wood is a mad man. of course, he's probably on near level ground so it's alot easier. carry a 395 around in our woods for half a day. most guys would have their man card taken away due to crying to go home after a few hours. LOL

Yep, but you have skip chain. We only have full comp here, so a "32 bar on a 372 isn't an option unfortunately.
But i agree, it's all abouth the weight, and i take my 562 and my 346 over all other saw i have, even if I often have to do heart bore cuts.

Yep, but you have skip chain. We only have full comp here, so a "32 bar on a 372 isn't an option unfortunately.
But i agree, it's all abouth the weight, and i take my 562 and my 346 over all other saw i have, even if I often have to do heart bore cuts.

what species you got there? you are west coast, just a different continent. guys here have their saws ported and a 372 will run full comp and a 33" no problem all day long in fir, hemlock, spruce, pine, and cedar.

what species you got there? you are west coast, just a different continent. guys here have their saws ported and a 372 will run full comp and a 33" no problem all day long in fir, hemlock, spruce, pine, and cedar.

Yep, that's another problem, we don't have ported saws here (I am the only one). I mostly cut black spruce, spruce, beech, douglas, oak, pine, ash, etc. The terrain is pretty steep and dangerous. And i don't really like carrying a saw with a big bar, it is to heavy for good limbing.

We used a 488 shindaiwa to cut everything we had here for years. It never let us down and we cut down some 40"+ oaks. It was rather unsafe at times and there were a few few close calls. My pap said he would never need a bigger saw and he started cutting with a mall.

I have no use for a 395 personally. They're huge. Im out of shape. I'm tired out after 4 hours with my 390.

I wish you could see the 5 or so guys I can think of off the top of my head that run 395s for 12+ hour days. Not one of them is more than 140lbs soaking wet.
Maybe our man cards are too heavy... ;)

I've got a 394 ported by Randy. It has a 36" bar and an 8 pin rim. I can noodle with it fully burried, and it doesnt care one bit. I rarely have wood that deserves a 394, but it is mean and fun. It is also a beast of a saw weight wise. You wont find yourself using it except when you need it. I have thought about putting mine up in the trading post to trade for a nice ported 288, 390, or something close to that because for what I do, I could easily get by with one of those and be more comfortable doing it and the 394 could go to someone that could really use it.

Sold my 395 and picked up a 390. The 395 is a great saw but I don't get into enough 30"+ wood to justify it. and after about 4 tanks of fuel I am out of gas. So if you have the wood and need the saw it is one of the best. CJ

Sounds like a I need a 395 for what I'm doing (tree service). I might get a 42" bar as I find my 36" to short at times. Maybe I should even look at a 3120. They seem so large they just about aren't practical to use though. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs but they make me feel small. This is something I break out only when I really need a lot of saw for cutting up big wood/stumping. It will probably get used three or four times a month but not on a daily basis. We end up doing a lot of the big ugly trees as most home owners will cut down a small easy tree if it's not over a structure. I looked at a pine last month that was 60" across the trunk at waste high. At the root flare it was about 72". I cut a birch tree with a 40" stump on Friday. I managed to go through it with my 562 wearing a 24" bar but it kinda sucked. These are the kind of things I feel like a 394/5 would help with. I know I can cut it all up with my 372 but when you have a crew standing there costing you money waiting on you to cut the thing up so they can get to loading and cleaning it up, cut time starts making a big difference. This tree I'm speaking of was in a back yard so it would have to be cut up small enough for a tractor/skid steer to get all of it out. The 372 will be used for felling on just about everything. Unfortunately it needs crank bearings currently. I did use my 288 occasionally for felling but usually didn't need it. Most of the time I'm never more than 50 yards from one of the trucks or a piece of equipment so I won't be dragging the saw around in the woods all day on foot. Brad, where are you seeing new 395xp's for $1K? My local saw shop wants $1150 plus tax of 9% for one which comes up to about $1250 out the door. The 390xp's were $100 cheaper. Thanks guys for your input.

Sounds like a I need a 395 for what I'm doing (tree service). I might get a 42" bar as I find my 36" to short at times. Maybe I should even look at a 3120. They seem so large they just about aren't practical to use though. I'm 6'2" and 200 lbs but they make me feel small. This is something I break out only when I really need a lot of saw for cutting up big wood/stumping. It will probably get used three or four times a month but not on a daily basis. We end up doing a lot of the big ugly trees as most home owners will cut down a small easy tree if it's not over a structure. I looked at a pine last month that was 60" across the trunk at waste high. At the root flare it was about 72". I cut a birch tree with a 40" stump on Friday. I managed to go through it with my 562 wearing a 24" bar but it kinda sucked. These are the kind of things I feel like a 394/5 would help with. I know I can cut it all up with my 372 but when you have a crew standing there costing you money waiting on you to cut the thing up so they can get to loading and cleaning it up, cut time starts making a big difference. This tree I'm speaking of was in a back yard so it would have to be cut up small enough for a tractor/skid steer to get all of it out. The 372 will be used for felling on just about everything. Unfortunately it needs crank bearings currently. I did use my 288 occasionally for felling but usually didn't need it. Most of the time I'm never more than 50 yards from one of the trucks or a piece of equipment so I won't be dragging the saw around in the woods all day on foot. Brad, where are you seeing new 395xp's for $1K? My local saw shop wants $1150 plus tax of 9% for one which comes up to about $1250 out the door. The 390xp's were $100 cheaper. Thanks guys for your input.

That much big bar work is deffinitely 395 territory. It also sounds like you have a need enough to justify one.

As much as I'm a die hard Husky fan, the 3120 with a fixed high speed jet, just isn't worth it to me. If I ever get another one the first thing I'll do is send the carb out to make it adjustable on the high side. Those cylinders are just too expensive if it leans out.

Back