3 Point Hitch Splitter...pros and cons

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a chance to get a 3 point hitch splitter that has had wheels added so it can be free standing. I would like to hook it up to the remotes on my skid loader for a power source. It has a control valve mounted on the splitter. I can pick it up for around $400. What do you guys think of the idea? :msp_thumbup::msp_confused::msp_thumbdn:

for that amount of money i would say jump on it! but also i would think about what pump your skid steer has. Some of those skids steers have pretty high putput pumps that are gonna make that splitter a heck of a deal. Then there are some that have a pump around the eight gpm mark and you will not be happy with how slow it is! no matter what the case a 400 dollar splitter is hard to beat. Now from my reading on here there are gonna guys saying that you are putting hours on a much large motor than needed. and wasting fuel. Kinda true but it will take a long time to burn up all that money that you would save if you bought it.new decent splitter $1300 buying this one $400. that means you have $900 dollars of fuel to burn and payment to make on the skid steer. i personaly like that kinda math. I started with a splitter than i ran off my 4840 john deere. Its 156 hp. but it had a awesome pump and would run pretty cheap bc it just had to idle to achieve very fast cycle times on the splitter. The only reason i got a different splitter is i started splitting all my wood in the woods and leaving it until delivery so i couldnt just leave the tractor down there. so i built one.

I payed 400 for mine used but its a regular horizontal that tilts to vert.Is 400 a good price for one that doesn't have an engine or pump?Basically that's what a 3 point is so I would be wondering what size the cylinder is.If its a dinky splitter it might not be wort the money in my mind.

I payed 400 for mine used but its a regular horizontal that tilts to vert.Is 400 a good price for one that doesn't have an engine or pump?Basically that's what a 3 point is so I would be wondering what size the cylinder is.If its a dinky splitter it might not be wort the money in my mind.

but here's the beauty of it... cylinders are replaceable..:laugh::laugh:

I would look into the quality of the splitter. We sell new ones american made quality ones for a few hundred more than that. If it is in good shape and good brand it is likely a good deal though.

Consider where you'll be wanting to split wood. If all your wood comes to where your skid loader is, that's fine. If you want to split wood at another location (the next neighborhood, across town, at your BIL's place, etc.), then realize that you'll have to transport your skid loader to that location, too. Having a tow-behind splitter gives you more freedom of location.

I built this 50" one for my skidloader and it works real nice. My skid steer only has a 12 or 13 gpm pump.

attachment.php

SpeeCo 3 pt. Hitch Splitter

Hey Art, Treepointer makes a good case to stay mobile. I have owned a SpeeCo LS400197N 3 pt. hitch splitter for 20 years. I live out in the country and get most of my wood in a one mile radius. I like being able to back up to it with my 4 wheel drive 1070 John Deere Tractor and I am gone in less than 5 minutes. Most of my wood comes from storm downed trees. I cut and split right where it lies. The SpeeCo has a 20 ton capacity and sells new at your local Co-Op or Tractor Supply Store from $600 to $700.

I built this 50" one for my skidloader and it works real nice. My skid steer only has a 12 or 13 gpm pump.

attachment.php

sorry off topic just wanted to say that is a great job joining the two beams on your splitter. Not east to do and make look that straight. Also great job using the stiffner on the seam in the web!!

We use a 3-point spliter and love it. We use to rent a spliter of the same make but self contained and liked the idea and speed of the two way spliting. The only thing with a 3-point spliter is if someone borrows it, you mix there hydraulic fluid and yours inside the spliter. View attachment 192221

Thanks for all the insight. All my splitting will be done on my property, 15a mountain ground or my brothers 20a lot 5 miles away. I would be moving the loader to his lot to drag and load anyway. However, I think I like the idea of using the loader as a mobile table and log lifter to feed a splitter. If I can get the guy down to $300 it might be worth it. Why is this so difficult? I've been splitting by hand for almost 30 years. Anything should be a plus right? Oh did I mention I'm really cheeeep!!

Thanks for all the insight. All my splitting will be done on my property, 15a mountain ground or my brothers 20a lot 5 miles away. I would be moving the loader to his lot to drag and load anyway. However, I think I like the idea of using the loader as a mobile table and log lifter to feed a splitter. If I can get the guy down to $300 it might be worth it. Why is this so difficult? I've been splitting by hand for almost 30 years. Anything should be a plus right? Oh did I mention I'm really cheeeep!!

the first year i cut firewood for business i split 100 cord by hand! Then bought a splitter and cant imagine swinging that maul anymore. Heck i dont even know where my maul is?!?!?! lol anyway yes it is hard to get off that money when things are hard like they are but you will make it back by having the energy to do other things and not having to take two easy days after a hard day of splitting. Thats what made me open my wallet.

Back