3 point tractor winch

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sctstoys72

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Would like to know how the winch is designed on these Farmi style winches.

How does the clutch work? and the ratio?

anybody have any pics of the mechanicals of this winch?

Thanks Scott

Sctstoys: Most winches have the same basic operating mechanisms. But some use a pawl and notch system to lock the cable while others use a brake system. A number of brands have optional radio controlled hydraulics to operate the clutch. The basic models just use a rope to engage the clutch. There are purely hydraulic models available. When properly maintained most winches are very durable, though the Farmi's are considered the top of the line. It depends upon your intended uses and budget. I have a Norse from Labonville and am very pleased with it. Others have had much success with other brands also. W Jones.

Ok so there is only one reduction from the pto with sprokets and chain,and that clutch pawl ,looks like it would be a high wear item ,how does it disengage under a heavy load?
This is what i was wondering,i thought maybe a planetary setup with a friction clutch is what the had.

They seem cheaply made,and funny there all foriegn made.

Ok so there is only one reduction from the pto with sprokets and chain,and that clutch pawl ,looks like it would be a high wear item ,how does it disengage under a heavy load?
This is what i was wondering,i thought maybe a planetary setup with a friction clutch is what the had.

They seem cheaply made,and funny there all foriegn made.

Scott, If you keep everything adjusted, they will last a long time. You are correct that all of these winches were originally developed for the European markets where the scale of logging and size of equipment used is typically much smaller. They were designed to be used by smaller tractors though there are models that are well suited for 100 hp tractors. Have you checked the prices on these critters? Cheap is not a word that is typically used when talking about logging winches.

You are correct that a a pawl system could be hard to disengage under load, but using the three point hitch and pulling the load up to a certain point usually eliminates issues. It does take experience to learn the settings. W. Jones

My brother use a Farmi winch on a 100ish hp tractor and likes it. Used to use a 450 dozer to skid before and says with the tractor and Farmi they can pull out 15-20 cords of logs in a day without much trouble. The dozer was slow and easy to hang up on stumps. Didn't have a winch on it so they just pulled them off the drawbar.

You are correct that a a pawl system could be hard to disengage under load, but using the three point hitch and pulling the load up to a certain point usually eliminates issues. It does take experience to learn the settings. W. Jones

My Winch has the pawl lock for the drum, it's NOT a problem at all...

When you want to release it, you bump the "line in" and that takes the load off the pawl and it instantly releases... I really like and prefer that system...

SR

Latest posts

Back