3120 husky with 10 hours for sale $850.00

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

heromaker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hey, just wanted some feedback on the 3120, Im going to pickup one with 10hours on it for 850$. I know its new because my saw man just sold the saw to this fellow and he couldnt handle it. I'm not putting him down. I have heard of a couple of experienced tree men in my area who did the same thing over the years. I have only used Stihls up until now, except I had a 371xp that kicked tail, but Im not going to pass up the deal. I looked up the high RPM and it said it runs at 12000, is that right? Im a Hoss"a biggo o fella" and love power, cant wait to start that puppy up and put it into something. The guy who is selling me the saw told me that husky put out a 15HP saw some years back, I was wondering if anyone has heard of such a thing. He said the EPA outlawed it. If such a thing did infact exist I would like to be educated about it. Anyway, Im a twenty year climber but I know enough to seek the advice from my fellow tree men. :clap:
lastly is it true that huskys dont have the chain adjustmenton on the clutch cover? If thats true that would be just lame. Not sayin I wont buy it though....Hey He:cheers::cheers:

They are a "beast"! If you are working a steady diet of huge trees or are putting it on a firewood processor, it will work great. But know that it can get very heavy and unmanageable after a few hours. If you're looking for the occasional "big" saw, I find the 394 or a 385 or even a Stihl 460 to be a great choice. That being said, you can't argue with the price- it's a "STEAL"!

If it is an EPA saw it runs around 9.5k, has roughly 8.5 hp, so it will still cut very well, and with 10 hours on it is just about broken in and into its' full power.

Some easy and simple mods will be to send a Walbro WG-6 or 8 to Mercier for an H-needle: Mercier Racing Saws if you need the adjustability. Muffler mod and putting in an unlimited coil. I'd add the link from the "old" AS, but the search doesn't seem to work anymore.

$850 is a great price, less than half retail.

If it is an EPA saw it runs around 9.5k, has roughly 8.5 hp, so it will still cut very well, and with 10 hours on it is just about broken in and into its' full power.

Some easy and simple mods will be to send a Walbro WG-6 or 8 to Mercier for an H-needle: Mercier Racing Saws if you need the adjustability. Muffler mod and putting in an unlimited coil. I'd add the link from the "old" AS, but the search doesn't seem to work anymore.

$850 is a great price, less than half retail.

Yes this is all correct. The saw is great for bucking, but gets really heavy when felling. I love bucking with it, as the weight of the saw just pushes it through the log. I have the 12k rev limited coil, and it is probably better than the epa coil, but for general cutting you should be fine. I have the 395xp as well, and that is so much easier to control when felling big trees.

The carb has a fixed h jet, so that is why if you want to go faster, you will need to modify both the carb and the coil.

That is a total score. If you get it and don't like it, I will buy it off you...... so no risk.

Doesnt sound like a bad deal.

I prefer mine with the 36" or 42" But it will haul chips out with the 72" too.

And yes, they are heavy. But its 120 ccs.

I'd say get it. I paid $800 for mine with about the same use.

Definitely a big saw. It's actually kind of fun to run with like a 24" or something for bucking and ripping, you just cannot stop it.

But seriously, as the others said, unless you're a really big guy in good shape, it's use is limited to lazy, easy bucking and time on an alaskan mill.

Some say the 880 is a better saw. I'm not sure about this, the 3120 has some pretty good creature comforts. The AV is pretty consistent with all other huskies, except the springs are a little heavier so you feel a bit more vibration.

It doesnt have air injection but the filter stays pretty clean. It has a big pleated air filter. i think there are actually a few versions available.

In addition to the adjustable oil pump you can throttle it up some with this thumb lever, if #&*( hits the fan and you need some more oil.

It actually has a throttle lock, or at least mine does (maybe they did away with this? seems like a potential safety threat) for use on stump grinders and mills.

Last edited:
I am a husky guy but I own 084s and a ms 880 I prefer them over the 3120 that being said none of them get very much use and they r heavly moded. what is upsetting is paying 1000 bucks plus for a saw that u have to change carbs and coils to reach porformance. I have 2 08 395xps and hands down you can move and buck wood faster with them than a 3120 unless its really big 3plus feet or all in the open on flat ground with no obsticals.

I am a husky guy but I own 084s and a ms 880 I prefer them over the 3120 that being said none of them get very much use and they r heavly moded. what is upsetting is paying 1000 bucks plus for a saw that u have to change carbs and coils to reach porformance. I have 2 08 395xps and hands down you can move and buck wood faster with them than a 3120 unless its really big 3plus feet or all in the open on flat ground with no obsticals.

The new Husky 3120XP is listed at 8.4 HP, and the MS880 is listed at 8.6 HP. I wouldn't exactly say that you need to change anything to reach performance. As the EPA clamps down, things are just going to get worse. The Husky is designed for max HP at 9000 RPM, and it will run just fine right there with the coil and carb that it has. A little muffler mod and it will have more HP than a stock 880.

The new Husky 3120XP is listed at 8.4 HP, and the MS880 is listed at 8.6 HP. I wouldn't exactly say that you need to change anything to reach performance. As the EPA clamps down, things are just going to get worse. The Husky is designed for max HP at 9000 RPM, and it will run just fine right there with the coil and carb that it has. A little muffler mod and it will have more HP than a stock 880.

It would be best to have a adjustable high side if you are going to muffler mod... More air=more fuel needed or you create a lean situation.

I got very excited for a moment there, thinking you were selling a 3120 with 10 hours on it for $850. I'd say thats a steal barring no gross injury to the saw in those 10 hours. :blob2:

One of the guys I cut with has an older 3120 and it is an unholy terror for bucking.

Latest posts

Back