338XPT Husqvarna vs.ms200stihl

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
both should be banned top handled saws are a liability.

WHAT? A liability for someone without the muscle, If your dumb enough to john wayne a trim saw by your face, lanyard or other!!! then you deserve what you get!!

personally, there is a place for one handing & a place for both hands(personal preference). talk like this prompts the MFG & unknowledgeable homeowner to petition for just such a thing(banning that is).

IMO if you feel comfortable using your saw with one hand then do so!! but dont mention banning, god that irritates me!!!

LXT................

another happy 335 xpt user here... not saying it's better than MS200T. but my 335 xpt with only a muffler mod, starts good, runs strong and has been dead reliable.

when I run across a clean 020T/200T at a super deal. I'll give stihl a try. until then, 335xpt does the job with next to zero fuss.

has anyone mentioned the fact that the stihl has much more room to grab the handle with gloves,,,,as always as a pro,,,,than the husky,,,,gotta be comfy in a tree working the saw:chainsaw:

I will cut against any saw on the market in a comparable HP range as my 200T.

The 192t will smoke all the rest as well, the 200T JUST SMOKES EM EVEN HARDER!

Huh? I'd be embarrassed to run the 192T in stock form. Of all the saws I've run over the years, only the little Echo 280E would be slower. The 3400 Echo would beat it, the 3000, I never ran, but it would prolly be slower--Poulan S25, not even close, Echo 302S would also win, Homelite Super EZ no contest.....even woods modded by Ed Heard, it is slower than a bone stock 335 Cali or 200T.

Last edited:
has anyone mentioned the fact that the stihl has much more room to grab the handle with gloves,,,,as always as a pro,,,,than the husky,,,,gotta be comfy in a tree working the saw:chainsaw:

Not really...I find the Husky to have more room...of course I mostly use Blue Atlas gloves.

tried the Stihl 200T, did'nt like it. Poor ergonomics (handle), heavy (for a top handle), unbalanced, horrible sounding, air filters clogged way too quick, carb was a nightmare to work with. floppy bar. cheap plastic, tinny sounding, stupid "tool"less gas/oil caps that never closed properly. way too expensive. I rate it 1 out of 10

tried the Husky 338XPT (for two months, 8 hours daily). great saw. well made. great ergonomics, torquey, fast, easy to maintain, light, air filter never clogged up. A bit pricy but worth it 10 out of 10

but the best i've tried (and currently run) are the little echo 330T. inexpensive, well made, durable, torquey 9after muffler mod) , carb is easy to tune, very well balanced, very ergonomic handle, lightwieght , great chainbreak, fast cutter after swapping stock chain to an woodsmanPro. 10 out of 10

keep in mind the only thing i use a climbing saw for is limbing on the way up.
hate my opinion i dont give a ????. i dont give a goodgodamn if i offend the Stihl crowd. I simply did not like or enjoy using that saw. nuff said.

Last edited:
Take down a tree with a handsaw like they used too and you will appreciate whatever chainsaw you prefer to use. I look at it this way. Stihl has held there own for quite a long time but if the rest of the competition starts to catch up and make better quality/performing stock saws the leader will have to rethink/ redesign from scratch. It will be a whole new ball game then. I am a firm believer in innovative design. Make the saw strong where it needs to be and liteweight with the ideal combination of composite plastics, steel, and alloys then test the everloving heck out of it. After that listen to the customers. If they are tired of crap that does not hold up to year after year of hard use then change it. That warranty card is your entitlement to :censored: if the manufacturer has let you down. Our dollars are hard won and they cannot sit back on their laurels expecting to rake in the money. I work my saws hard and I take good care of them. I have not done this long enough to reach a verdict on the whole Stihl/ Husky debate but I have aired my grievances to both manufacturers when they have let me down and their responses to me as a customer weigh heavily on new equipment purchases. Hopefully somewhere the "Preston Tucker" of chainsaw design is hard at work ready to set the industry on its heels. Until then, badger the hell out of 'em and if that dont work stop buying their junk. Just make sure you let them know even if it takes sending the piece of :censored: back in a box.

finally scored a MS200T... runs strong, good balance. but I could say the same for my 335XPT w/muffler mod.

I like em both :D

finally scored a MS200T... runs strong, good balance. but I could say the same for my 335XPT w/muffler mod.

I like em both :D

I, for one, am GLAD you like your 200T! I scored a GREAT 335 due to that!

Thanks...

The way husky screwed thier dealers by going to Lowes and other outlets . I will never buy another husky . Stihl ms200 owns that husky pos . I guess you can tell I have an attitiude after they screwed thier dealers the way they did.

The way husky screwed thier dealers by going to Lowes and other outlets . I will never buy another husky . Stihl ms200 owns that husky pos . I guess you can tell I have an attitiude after they screwed thier dealers the way they did.

Talk about closed minded... I guess your market was a sales only profit center. Being in NC, you missed a huge opportunity! Husqvarna Forest & Garden is based in Charlotte. I know of two dealers that have profitted tremendously from the "big box" sales. They have become "refurbishment dealers" and "authorized service centers". Maybe your attitude is due to a bad business plan. The dealers I know aren't doing too bad. They know that there is a difference between a "big box" 359 and a "dealer only" 357XP. Those who buy the most chainsaws, parts, accessories, and equipment usually don't do that through the big box stores. The big box stores just created a larger market for authorized repairs, etc.

As for calling the 335 I just got a "pos", until you have run it, you have no basis for that statement. My guess is you've never held a stock 335, much less one modded like this. It's OK to have an opinion, but expressing it with such passion and anger discounts your opinion in the minds of many. Talk facts and maybe people will listen.

i bought a very lightly used husky 338xpt for a good price, got the muffler modded at the walker's saw shop, and now it outcuts a stock 200t. i love the balance and feel of it. it runs great, idles great, cuts great, but now its got some serious bark to it.

bottom line is i love my 338. the muffler mod made a huge difference - well worth it.

both are tremendous saws. the 2hunge is a monster for takedowns.

while the 338 is also solid at takedowns you will need to switch to a bigger saw sooner than you do with the 2hunge. that said the handling of the 338 is great for pruning and trimming.

i own and run both. you cant lose with either saw but the 338 is my back up.

I can verify

i bought a very lightly used husky 338xpt for a good price, got the muffler modded at the walker's saw shop, and now it outcuts a stock 200t. i love the balance and feel of it. it runs great, idles great, cuts great, but now its got some serious bark to it.

bottom line is i love my 338. the muffler mod made a huge difference - well worth it.

it was my stock 200t that it outcut, guess ill have to mod my 200 there gav

you either don't climb.................

im not one for rules skwiril but top handle saws should be banned,there little death traps IMO.

im personally convinced using a bigger saw is far safer IMO what you do is up to you if you want to be one handing because you "can"its not my problem:)

or are a complete fool.

Latest posts

Back