338XPT with high speed "miss"

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JDH

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Purchased a used husqvarna 338XPT with zero hours on a rebuild; it has an extreme high speed miss. It starts easily and idles as it should. Warmed it up and tried to adjust the high speed carb. adjustment but it makes no difference. The spark plug is new, air filter is clean and I tried a second coil to eliminate these as possibilites. Checked the plug after a high speed run and it wasn't wet or show signs of running lean. I know there are several experts here and advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Check the coil and make sure the pickup is clean and it is close enough to the flywheel to pick up. Mine was doing the same thing, I took the coil off cleaned it and put it back on it has ran great every since.

I noticed this on the newest one of the 2 I picked up recently. 2010 has time on it 05 like new still. The 10 had a cut out at max rpm going into cut and out. Changed plug and havent ran it to see yet. 10 was only turning 12.8K and 05 was 13.8K.

Also need to check and see if the coil pick ups are dirty on this one. Thanks for reminding me :rock:

I know nothing about these having rev limits from just reading on them yet.

Ordered a new coil and it cured the problem. I actually had two saws with a bad coil....what are the chances?

Thanks for update. :rock:

It's always nice to know what the final fix turned out to be to help others later.

Just packed up my 05 for new owner. :cry: Thats the one of the two I was wanting for myself, oh well. :msp_wub:

Just finished the other 338 up that had a miss at wot out of cuts. Mine ended up just being the used worn plug. :msp_thumbup::rock:

3450BB3750bb338637mac010.jpg

3450BB3750bb338637mac004.jpg

Those coils commonly crap out, they seem to be the wrong size for the small flywheel or something, they're actually the same coil as found on 395's 372's 365's etc.

Those little XPT huskys/ jonnys, to breathe freely, muffler mod needed, three extra exit holes (unrestricted flow with no deflector is best but loud..) (good excuse to spend $$ on grade 5+ earmuffs) Dremelled and widened exhaust port adds definite extra bite, cylinder inlet port hard to access for widening, but carb manifold and inlet tube can be opened out a bit.

Possibly a tank breather mod with a better flow with flapper/one-way type to keep pressure in the tank and a consistent tune, rather than the epa stifled nonsense they came out with. (they may have improved the restrictive tank breather system by now?)

Ditch the equally nonsense 14" and 16" bars some clueless clown at the dealers thinks are correct for a top-handle saw. 12" bars are the proper match for a compact top-handle saw. If someone "needs" a 14"-16" bar for "reach" then that immediately tells you that they're using poor technique ...

Ditch the chainbrake, the chainbrake is just a clumsy crock of P.C. crap that does nothing but get jammed-on constantly. All a chainbrake on a tophandle saw does is add weight, restrict movement, unbalance the saw, snag falling branches and strain your wrists . If anyone's not capable of operating a tophandle saw without coming to grief every five minutes then they should stay the hell away from chainsaws, rear-handle or top-handle. Seriously.

Of course, reading this the pursed-lipped brigade on this site will be screaming and waving their arms in panic, ringing the FBI and damn near choking with indignation and self-righteousness about suggestions of having no chainbrake..... Incredible how the great chainbrake brainwashing scam can put blinkers on otherwise seemingly intelligent people and turn them into blind and un-thinking sheep ... LOL

How do you like those little saws, Kevin? I ordered a CS 2139T today.

Brad
Let us know what you think of it.
I have one that is about two years old now with countless hours on it. Since new it had a recurring but random racing at idle issue that just recently was remedied. This saw has an auto decomp valve in it that was hanging up and causing the racing issue. Just got it back from the shop yesterday, with decomp eliminated. Haven't had a chance to run it yet.
Other than that I haven't had any complaints or issues with mine. I think it has good power and torque in the cut. I have never run a 200T but the repair guy I take my saws to thinks mine will run with a 200.

Anyway good luck with the saw and I hope you report back to us on it.

Not enough time on one yet to say. Still not muffler modded either. I read the gains on these with just a muffler mod is 20% plus.

I want to test a bone stock 200T with screen still in and the bone stock 338 and solo 637 40cc first before doing a muffler mod maybe.

The 05 was tuned 13.8 and the 10 I have around 13.1. Somebody seen the like new 05 and like it better then me, so it is gone already. ;)

I like the feel and one handled balance of the 338 and the AV is smooth IMO on my limited use. No vibes that I can notice in the cuts at all.

I had a CS-2139T and didn't like how it handled or felt so i sold it to a member here and bought my 201T. It ran great and strong and with a muff mod it ran with my 200's i just didn't like the feel after running 200's for so long.

Back