346 and 359 fun

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nmurph

ArboristSite.com Sponsor
Reaction score
These two saws are a couple of projects I managed to finish during the holidays. The last month has been a bit crazy and things have gone sideways at times.

Both saws are making their first cuts with new Meteor pistons. The 359 was rebuilt from the ground, up. Both are running without a base gasket. The 359 is setting at about .020 and the 346NE is at about .022. The 359 puffs about 170psi on the Snap-On and the 346 is about 160ish, so both should pick up some with use. The 346 has an aftermarket muffler with a 288-style MM. The 359 is a neutered CAT that has the factory opening enlarged to the entire area under the deflector. The 359 is also running a 357 crank with the stuffers. Both saws are running chisel, though not the same, both are reasonably fresh, and both are tuned a little rich for break-in. The tree is about 16" loblolly pine. This tree was about 80' and when they get this size, the centers are pretty much full of sap. This makes cutting them like sawing oak. This is hardly scientific so take it for what it is: fun.

(BTW, I'm fully aware I don't have on chaps. This is a rare occasion. I forgot them and it was getting dark. So PPE police, back off!! (I do have ear plugs if it makes you feel better)):biggrin:

359 cylinder w 357 crank MM no base gasket 0001 - YouTube

346NE MM w lowered squish - YouTube

359 muff

On the 359 CAT muffler- can any of the guts be drilled out, or is it just the afea behind the deflector that you opened up?

What's the cancer-causing agent? I see this bandied about, but I have never seen anyone name what is used. In the hyper-nanny United States of America, I suspect that if there were anything remotely carcenogenic, the EPA would force the muffler to be plastered with all sorts of warning labels regarding the dangers of upsetting the CAT. My guess is it is probably platinum plated steel, much like the CAT material used in cars.

These two saws are a couple of projects I managed to finish during the holidays. The last month has been a bit crazy and things have gone sideways at times.

Both saws are making their first cuts with new Meteor pistons. The 359 was rebuilt from the ground, up. Both are running without a base gasket. The 359 is setting at about .020 and the 346NE is at about .022. The 359 puffs about 170psi on the Snap-On and the 346 is about 160ish, so both should pick up some with use. The 346 has an aftermarket muffler with a 288-style MM. The 359 is a neutered CAT that has the factory opening enlarged to the entire area under the deflector. The 359 is also running a 357 crank with the stuffers. Both saws are running chisel, though not the same, both are reasonably fresh, and both are tuned a little rich for break-in. The tree is about 16" loblolly pine. This tree was about 80' and when they get this size, the centers are pretty much full of sap. This makes cutting them like sawing oak. This is hardly scientific so take it for what it is: fun.

(BTW, I'm fully aware I don't have on chaps. This is a rare occasion. I forgot them and it was getting dark. So PPE police, back off!! (I do have ear plugs if it makes you feel better)):biggrin:

359 cylinder w 357 crank MM no base gasket 0001 - YouTube

346NE MM w lowered squish - YouTube

I finally get to see what you look like. The man behind my awesome machine. Great runner Murph. My uncle has one and loves it. Always trying to get me to come out to Greenfield and run it with him.

I finally get to see what you look like. The man behind my awesome machine. Great runner Murph. My uncle has one and loves it. Always trying to get me to come out to Greenfield and run it with him.

Neal does some fine work, he's just not as much of a showman like some others here. I think he likes his work to do the talking.

You better watch out, Neal. JSpanky has an 026 that's supposed to trounce xp's. I guess the 359 is safe since it is not an xp. :yoyo:

Hope I didn't scare you too badly...talk you uncle into pulling the base gasket and MM that saw, it really changes the attitude.

Very nice. Now port that 359 and see what that sucker can really do.

359 husqvarna ported - YouTube

Might have to do this to mine as well.

I've been reading up on porting these. There were some pics of the inside of the transfers with the covers pull on certain, now defunct, site. I wish I had saved them for reference.

Neal does some fine work, he's just not as much of a showman like some others here. I think he likes his work to do the talking.

Just an average, CAD infected saw junkie.

You better watch out, Neal. JSpanky has an 026 that's supposed to trounce xp's. I guess the 359 is safe since it is not an xp. :yoyo:

Yep, I saw that wood-eating machine. It has all of my 346's shaking and trying to disguise themselves as clamshell Stihls.

I've searched in the past and could never find info on carcinogenic materials used to manufacture catalytic mufflers, so I suspect the carcinogens are combustion products that collect in the catalytic matrix. In the high temperatures and pressures of combustion, the benzene in gasoline reacts with hydrocarbon chains to form carcinogenic compounds. They consist of a hydrocarbon chain studded with benzene rings, and if the hydrocarbon chain is long enough and has enough benzene rings on it, it won't be in the gaseous phase of the exhaust.

I could be totally off here, but there's lots of very bad stuff in exhaust, and the catalyst could also be forming intermediary compounds prior to the final reaction that forms less toxic compounds. In any event, use protection, it won't hurt if you don't need it, and it wont interfere with the pleasure of gutting a cat muffler.

Back