346 Simple muffler mods.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

My2cents

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Now that I have had my 346 for a year warranty issues no longer concern me. I'm ready to open up the muffler. What size should I increase the hole to.

Since I am now the self appointed 346 expert, I would say braze on a 1/2" copper fitting and leave the existing port open. If you found it to large, just cap it and drill a smaller hole in the cap.
Or you could braze on 2, 1/2" fittings and block off the existing port with a soup can modified to the size of the spark arrestor screen with some tin snips. Or you could cut a hole in the muffler and muffler retainer and fit a folded over spark screen between them. Hope this helps.
John

just remember .. they got to be adjusted rite after the change. i think thats the advantage of having some one who really knows his stuff,,do it. he knows just how far he can push the saw.
ive been successful,, in a simple opening saw job,, on 6 saws. ive also killed 2.
one died in my hands,,a partner 62 .. the other 667 died in its sleep.:)

If you decide to add pipes to the muffler, make them short, and angled to the side. Straight forward is unacceptable, as they can break off, even break the muffler body, when they contact wood. And cause the saw to choke itself, very aggravating when chunking down a tree...and, in the case of my 3120, darn near start forest fires.

the forest arsonist......

For now I just want to reduce the restriction simply by increasing the hole in the back of the muffler. A while back this diameter was mentioned, but I can't seem to locate it thru previous threads.

I'm not sure what you mean by "hole in the back"

most saw builders suggest that the outlet port area be 1.25 to 1.5 time the area of the cylinder outlet.

What size should I make the holes in my muffler. I have a MS 260 pro and have just aquired an adjustable carburator to make sure that opening up the carburator does not kill the saw by way of the "Lean Death".

Start at about the same area as the exhaust port and try it. It only takes a minute to take that muffler off again if you feel you want to make the opening larger. Remeber it is easier to make a hole bigger than it is to make it smaller.

Frank

Here's a shot of A walkers My friend and I copied. Before and after shot.
2071.jpg

Good job Marky Bark, I like it. Good luck on your hunting trip. My neighbour got three deer, but I was more interested in the trees he had them tied to. Watch out for the Sasquatch who stole my wristwatch, who's way up in a tree krotch and he's laughin' at me.
John

Back