346 xp reliability

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

441_Stihl

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
hello fellow saw people.I am kinda considering the 346xp.My question is such it ask so many rpm,s from engine has everyones been reliable

I can't tell you from experience but I too am looking at the 346xp as my next saw. The 346 turns 14,500 RPMs just like the Dolmar 5100 and everyone loves those. I am sure being a professional saw, the RPMs are no problem but you will get plenty of feedback from the others. Just avoid out of the wood WOT.

Why not finally put your money up and find out?

Stan_1966_screenshot.jpg

I can't tell you from experience but I too am looking at the 346xp as my next saw. The 346 turns 14,500 RPMs just like the Dolmar 5100 and everyone loves those. I am sure being a professional saw, the RPMs are no problem but you will get plenty of feedback from the others. Just avoid out of the wood WOT.

242xpg runs at 15,5k and its still running strong after 15 years...

The max rpms of the has been speced as both 14700rpm and 14200rpm.

I don't know for sure, but I have seen several reports that indicate that it runs stronger at about 14200, than at 14700.
Maybe Husky have realized that also, hence the change in specs, at least on some markets?????:confused:

Im not real impressed with the 346 sure its a good saw but ive been running a 346 brand new and a 026 side by side on my chipping crew, the 26 hasnt needed anything other than chains so far the 346 has had athe throttle linkage replaced,a spring in the clutch and 2 tune ups.

If people are hard on them they need repairs often IMO

The 346XP has been our 2nd best seller over the past 5 years, after the 372XP. Absolutely no reliability issues.

I run 346 ,dont worry about reliability,you can trust them for sure.Somebody mentionned clutch springs.Husky made a change on those springs,maybe 2 years back,no issues on that since.Run a nylon air filter instead of flocked one because they are easy to block.

I run 346 ,dont worry about reliability,you can trust them for sure.Somebody mentionned clutch springs.Husky made a change on those springs,maybe 2 years back,no issues on that since.Run a nylon air filter instead of flocked one because they are easy to block.

Thank you is yours the e tech one

Hey Stan, don't let anyone rush ya.... seriously. I take my time shopping and talking to as many folks as possible in the know. Some may take umbridge at my endless list of questions and visits, but when i make my decision, it sure as heck is an informed decision. Sounds like you're on the same page, here. When you find what you're lookin for, you'll know it!!!

One thing that I've found out the hard way, is that you can get every opinion in the world, and read every spec.
I have even created a spreadsheet with all the weights, ccs, horsepower etc, and it can be compared and contrasted any way you want.

But when you get the saw out into the woods, and cut with it, all the nuances become apparent.
Things like balance, torque, feel, the vibration, the angles of the handle, different bars, the added weight with fluids, different chains, how well the oiler functions, other ergonomics.

Even if you cut with a test saw for a couple minutes, a couple hours in the woods will be totally different.

So really, you can go on literally forever debating here. And we all love to do it, myself included.
But running them is a different matter. And since you have a different mind and body than the rest of us, you will adapt to each saw a little differently as well.

(I think I have just described why I have, and have gone through, so many different saws. )

I would encourage you to take your best guess on a saw based on the wealth of info here, and your own feelings, and try it out.

Hell, even if you hate the thing after you run a dozen tanks of gas through it, if its a decent saw, you can resell it on Ebay at a loss of $ 50 or so.

Have fun, and be safe. We'll all keep giving our opinions!

Just one saw junkys humble opinion. :cheers:

Hey Stan, don't let anyone rush ya.... seriously. I take my time shopping and talking to as many folks as possible in the know. Some may take umbridge at my endless list of questions and visits, but when i make my decision, it sure as heck is an informed decision. Sounds like you're on the same page, here. When you find what you're lookin for, you'll know it!!!

Thank you for understanding.My deal is i have to get my taxes fixed not sure how much I will have.If i say only have 450.00 i want the best saw I can get for it

hello fellow saw people.I am kinda considering the 346xp.My question is such it ask so many rpm,s from engine has everyones been reliable

Here's my 346XP with a 14" dime tip carving bar. This saw gets hours and hours of high rpm no-load use. Lots of chain speed makes nice smooth cuts, better detail work. Thats why I spent the money on a saw that would take the abuse. my other carving saw is a ms200t with a 12" dime tip bar. that thing is pretty tough too.

Last edited:
Here's my .02. I bought one 3 years ago. I cut firewood for 3 households. All hardwoods. I really think I've abused this saw badly. Cut way too big wood and too many stumps. It's the only saw I had and well, it just took whatever I gave it. I thought this saw was the best thing made. The only thing I had to compare it to was my dad's ms-290. It cuts circles around the 290. Better vibes,way lighter,fuel usage,whatever else. I found this site and started learning a few things. The 346 was not designed for what I was doing with it and I started to worry about it. So I bought a 372 and started doing the heavy stuff with it. Ok to the point, I finally had the muffler opened up and when it was off I looked at the piston. I was thinking it would be atleast half dead with low compression and a rough looking piston. The piston looked brand new!! It still has 155psi compression. I can only hope my 372 is the same years from now.

Latest posts

Back