346xp, 357xp (firewood saw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Don't think you can go wrong with your choice. Way I look at it, you will be moving up from your 350 to a pro class saw. I think you'll be happy with it. Your comment "350 about wore out", leads me to believe that you are thinking of staying with a one saw plan. Most replies addressing the one saw option seem to prefer the 60 cc class for firewood (Options of 357XP or 555 non pro but latest technology). I Others have suggested two saw plan 50cc and 70cc to allow you to choose the appropriate tool depending on which size you are cutting. More so, others have introduced the "addiction" =CAD, it generally happens after you start reading and posting on AS. If that's the case buy used pro saws from AS members - I have the 50cc class (Jred 2149 Turbo), 60cc class (359) and 70cc class (372). When I first bought the 372, I thought utopia, the power was phenomenal, couldn't need any more, well now that I've ran it a bit, I'm thinking about how I can get more power out of it........Bottomline cutting wood can be a chore or it can be an opportunity to run some of the finest tools available. I look forward to the opportunities.

All this info is great. I run and have access to a handful of different saws. The 350 seems to be a bit of a go-to saw for whatever reason, but I've had that one for while and I'm actually trying to go to a bigger saw for a few reasons. Seems lately I'm always in some slightly bigger stuff than my 18" bar can handle, but it seems to get me by. A little CAD is kicking in and I really do like the 2 saw plan! I guess I want it all though....whatever saw combo I buy, I'd almost like the new bigger one to be a one saw plan if needed. So the in-between saw (357xp, 555, 359) seems attractrive for that larger saw, but it will probably be too close to the 350/346. My latest idea is getting a 365 and when the 350 is spent....go for a 346. Comments have been great. Thanks for the info again!

Hey folks....I'm a big Husqvarana fan and was curious on your pro thoughts here. I cut around 30 face a year for firewood and manage a little property. Which saw works the best (346 or 357)? I know the stats on both and the extra pound or so is fine for the 357xp. Just wondering if I will notice a heck of a difference between the 2 saws. Mainly firewood saw, keep in mind. I've used a 350 for quite sometime, but is probably on it's last legs maybe. The 350 does bog down a bit when it's deep in wood. Although, I've heard the 346 revs high and is a good perfomer. Heck, I would imagine I'd see a difference between the 350 and 346 too (3.2hp to 3.7hp). I always here about folks referring to the 346 as a good limbing saw since it's only 11lbs (minus the equip), but could it function as a workhorse for firewood? Probably run a 18" bar, 0.325, 0.058", full chisel. Thoughts? Sounds like they are doing away with the 357xp as well.....I've got dibs at a dealer with one.....just starting to think about it.

It is about close to two pounds in the real world, empty PHO.

I'd go the 357xp or 359 route with an 18" bar and give the 350 a little TLC so she keeps ticking for smaller work or a backup.

For log after log production, the 60cc or 70cc class is really the way to go.

If you hang around here long you begin to think you need a 70cc saw to spin the chain and then a ported 70cc if you want to cut with it. If you are going to go with the 2 saw plan the get a 50cc saw(346xp) and a 70cc saw(372xp 440 365) for firewood you will never need more than this. I have a 359 that i picked up in perfect shape for 175.00, I have a 20" 3/8 B&C and using this setup keeps me outa trouble! if i can't cut it with this saw, then i can't move or split it. Although I have several other saws most of the time i just grab the 359 and its all i need. Now go pick one out and get to cutting!:chainsawguy::chainsaw::chainsaw:

What size and type of wood are you cutting, and how much?
What makes you think the 350 is about to die? Taken care of, these things last as well as any pro saw. Mine's been to Hell and back a couple of times, and still runs like a top!
This will help you make a more informed choice.
Now I always suggest going one size bigger than you think you need, this affords some flexibility for the times you get into needing a little more saw. If I were to have one saw, it would be a 60cc class, probably a 562, but for a two saw plan, a 50 and a 70cc seems to pair up best.
Regardless of what you buy, I'd keep the 350 around for a back up saw.

All this info is great. I run and have access to a handful of different saws. The 350 seems to be a bit of a go-to saw for whatever reason, but I've had that one for while and I'm actually trying to go to a bigger saw for a few reasons. Seems lately I'm always in some slightly bigger stuff than my 18" bar can handle, but it seems to get me by. A little CAD is kicking in and I really do like the 2 saw plan! I guess I want it all though....whatever saw combo I buy, I'd almost like the new bigger one to be a one saw plan if needed. So the in-between saw (357xp, 555, 359) seems attractrive for that larger saw, but it will probably be too close to the 350/346. My latest idea is getting a 365 and when the 350 is spent....go for a 346. Comments have been great. Thanks for the info again!

Sounds like a 357xp will fit right in. I'm still not sure if I like the 562xp better yet, or not, need more time with it. I do like the 357xp very much!

Many will say you need a 70cc, but I've never needed one. And I've cut a lot of wood in the last 30+ years. :D

There's a big difference in the 555 and 2153/346 when bucking in a wood pile.

I have a healthy running 345 and a new 346xp ne. There is little real world difference between the two. I know the specs and I know the differences. But the bottom line is that they are the same saw. With a supposed 20 percent difference in hp.

If your 350 is not enough, the 346 won't be either.

I have a healthy running 345 and a new 346xp ne. There is little real world difference between the two. I know the specs and I know the differences. But the bottom line is that they are the same saw. With a supposed 20 percent difference in hp.

If your 350 is not enough, the 346 won't be either.

:msp_confused:

I'd say something is very wrong with your 346. Is is broke in yet?

Also the 346 has a metal case, other two are plastic. ;)

Many will say you need a 70cc, but I've never needed one.

I don't NEED one either, but they cut alot faster than the 357 that I just got rid of. It drove me nuts waiting for it to chew its way through wood. I guess that is what happens when your used to running a 385...lol...

I'm taking the proceeds from the 357 and putting them towards a 575 that my brother is looking to get rid of. I've got a 16" Oregon Prolite on the 575 making it over two pounds lighter than the 385 with my normal 20" bar. I'm guessing that the 575 will cut pretty good set-up like that and the weight savings over the 385 will be nice. My point being...I find it hard on my back to be all bent over, blocking up wood, for longer than I need to be, waiting for a saw to cut. It's simply easier for me to take a heavier saw that cuts quicker. I think the 385 is a bit much and the 575 with the lighter bar will cut nearly as fast...so I'm hoping to hone in on the 'perfect' firewood saw for me. I think a 372 with a 16" bar would be quite the set-up too, but that's not the hand that I'm being dealt right now.:biggrin:

Bieng that the OP already has the 350 covering the light saw end of the spectrum, a 70 class saw to pair with it wouldn't be a bad thing. Right now my local dealer has the 357's for $650 and the 371/576 non AT for $730. The speed gains would be well worth the extra $80 IMHO.

I've run my father in laws 562 and think that is a very tempting option too. I really like that saws features and it cuts pretty good, but not good enough with the other current options. When Husky drops a 70 class motor in that chassis, it's gonna be a SWEET combo. The local dealer has two prototypes of that saw already and the reports from the field are good so far....supposedly it outcuts the current 372. One did break though and they are shipping it back for the post mortem. If that saw was in production today, I'd be skipping the 575 project and going straight for it.

Last edited:
If you don't like bending over a lot a 70cc saw with a 24" bar will be a lot better on you then being humped over bucking wood with a 50-60 cc and say a 18-20" bar.

I don't NEED one either, but they cut alot faster than the 357 that I just got rid of. It drove me nuts waiting for it to chew its way through wood. I guess that is what happens when your used to running a 385...lol...

Well, I was much more impressed with the 357 after I ported it. :D

I don't have much time on the 562 yet, but it cuts like a 372 and feels 2 lbs lighter. Slimmer, smaller also. I believe it's a keeper!
:msp_biggrin:

I got a 346 from nmurph and love it. Running it with an 18" .325 B&C.

I regretted it when I sold off my 350; it was always the first saw I grabbed.

Now I'm shopping for a 20" bar for the 346 (a little more reach) and will do a muff mod at the same time.

I've read all the posts, you've got a lot of good info to base your decision on.

I got a 346 from nmurph and love it. Running it with an 18" .325 B&C.

I regretted it when I sold off my 350; it was always the first saw I grabbed.

Now I'm shopping for a 20" bar for the 346 (a little more reach) and will do a muff mod at the same time.

I've read all the posts, you've got a lot of good info to base your decision on.

I can put more wood on the ground in a days time with a 346 than any other saw I've used. :cheers:

If you don't like bending over a lot a 70cc saw with a 24" bar will be a lot better on you then being humped over bucking wood with a 50-60 cc and say a 18-20" bar.

When cutting out of a pile, I tend to roll out each log individually and cut them. I don't like cutting other wood with the tip of my saw. It wastes time and fuel making the needless cuts. I like to run the saw all the way into the dogs and pry a little on it too....not much but enough to speed things up. Another reason for my preference of bigger motors.:hmm3grin2orange: The 16" chain will be a fair amount less rotating weight and should allow the saw to cut faster. Reach really isn't an issue for me when blocking.

I'm AM thinking of getting a 24" Sugi lightweight for the 385 when felling/limbing as the longer reach aspect has a certain, undeniable appeal for that type of cutting. :msp_thumbup: That saw will have no trouble spinning it.

Back