346xp, 357xp (firewood saw)

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If an 18" bar will suit your cutting needs, then a 346 will make you very happy. You will give up some cutting speed that is most noticeable in 14"+ wood, but the time will be more than offset by the increase in limbing speed, and in being able to stand up straight the next day...I have both, and just about every other saw in/near this size class, and the 346 gets the most use by a fair margin.

I own both the 346 and 357( and 371, 372, 394, 3120, but thats another story...:)) as well and for the mid sized wood (16 to 22") I grab the 357 (I'm cutting hardwoods mostly). For the smaller stuff, I aways go for the 346, and I end up using the 346 the most.

All this info is great. I run and have access to a handful of different saws. The 350 seems to be a bit of a go-to saw for whatever reason, but I've had that one for while and I'm actually trying to go to a bigger saw for a few reasons. Seems lately I'm always in some slightly bigger stuff than my 18" bar can handle, but it seems to get me by. A little CAD is kicking in and I really do like the 2 saw plan! I guess I want it all though....whatever saw combo I buy, I'd almost like the new bigger one to be a one saw plan if needed. So the in-between saw (357xp, 555, 359) seems attractrive for that larger saw, but it will probably be too close to the 350/346. My latest idea is getting a 365 and when the 350 is spent....go for a 346. Comments have been great. Thanks for the info again!
Looks like the 346/372 combo would work for you.

I own a hotrod 350, a hotrod 5100 and a BB hotrod 046, I OWNED a hotrod 346xp OE, I don't anymore!
I LOVE my 046, but wish I could find something lighter that could do what it does, but when I can bury a 32" bar, with an 8 pin sprocket on it, in Maple and the saw doesn't flinch, it's hard to part with!
Used my 5100 some today, took down and brushed out an 18" standing dead Pine, it barked at me a lot! The chain was too sharp (I know, an oxymoron) and it had gotten hard from being dead too long!
I could have easily put the 25" on the 046 and tore through that 19" tree, but my back sure didn't like that idea! The 5100 took a bit more time bucking and felling, but I'm certain it was faster limbing.
Really, the OP needs to think about realistic expectations, both from body and saw! An 880 with a 16" bar is a lot of fun, but do you want to run it all day?

I own a hotrod 350, a hotrod 5100 and a BB hotrod 046, I OWNED a hotrod 346xp OE, I don't anymore!
I LOVE my 046, but wish I could find something lighter that could do what it does, but when I can bury a 32" bar, with an 8 pin sprocket on it, in Maple and the saw doesn't flinch, it's hard to part with!
Used my 5100 some today, took down and brushed out an 18" standing dead Pine, it barked at me a lot! The chain was too sharp (I know, an oxymoron) and it had gotten hard from being dead too long!
I could have easily put the 25" on the 046 and tore through that 19" tree, but my back sure didn't like that idea! The 5100 took a bit more time bucking and felling, but I'm certain it was faster limbing.
Really, the OP needs to think about realistic expectations, both from body and saw! An 880 with a 16" bar is a lot of fun, but do you want to run it all day?

I see a MM346NE in your's and the OP's future!!

:msp_confused:

I'd say something is very wrong with your 346. Is is broke in yet?

Also the 346 has a metal case, other two are plastic. ;)

:agree2:

The 346xp will easily over power a 345 in anything over 10" diameter. Less than that and they are both very fast.

Last edited:
:msp_confused:

I'd say something is very wrong with your 346. Is is broke in yet?

Also the 346 has a metal case, other two are plastic. ;)

The 346xp ne is a fine saw. It runs perfectly, has plenty of power, revs quite nicely and so on. But, the magnesium cases don't make it a more capable saw. The cylinder and tuning do.

The bottom line is that the 346 is only slightly more powerful than a strong running 345 or 350. I understand that some versions of the "plastic" homeowner 345 and 350 were slightly more de-tuned.

You cannot make the claim that the 3.0HP 345 is "far less powerful" than the 3.7HP 346xp. Because the difference is 0.7HP. Or about 20%.

And, that is exactly how different they feel. A sharp chain makes far more difference than the 0.4 to 0.7HP. (350 or 345)

I'm also 50 years old and have some minor back and joint pain.

You class of '79 guys are always complaining...(which is why I also love the 346). :wink:

Okay I went out and attacked that stump with the ms250. :msp_ohmy: The stump attacked back. Ended up using the ms362. Cut off all the dirt and crap with the baby saw. The stump was approx. 32 inches wide at about 6 inches up from the ground. Not sure if that is large in some circles but it sure was in mine.

NOW I GET IT. The 70 plus cc thing, that is.

After a while I would have preferred to have a 23 pound saw for 5 minutes rather than a 13lb saw for however long it took. It's still a great saw, with limitations. In this case, my time.

I will be part of the choir now, no need to preach to me anymore...

I certainly respect all you guys that do this for a living.

oops: I guess a semi hijack at this point doesn't matter. So........I left the 346 in the Butlers Pantry (yes, that is where I keep the saws).

Last edited:
357xp all the way:chainsawguy:::thumbsup:: ( got my first one this winter, really like it just abit heavy for what i use it for)

Hey folks....I'm a big Husqvarana fan and was curious on your pro thoughts here. I cut around 30 face a year for firewood and manage a little property. Which saw works the best (346 or 357)? I know the stats on both and the extra pound or so is fine for the 357xp. Just wondering if I will notice a heck of a difference between the 2 saws. Mainly firewood saw, keep in mind. I've used a 350 for quite sometime, but is probably on it's last legs maybe. The 350 does bog down a bit when it's deep in wood. Although, I've heard the 346 revs high and is a good perfomer. Heck, I would imagine I'd see a difference between the 350 and 346 too (3.2hp to 3.7hp). I always here about folks referring to the 346 as a good limbing saw since it's only 11lbs (minus the equip), but could it function as a workhorse for firewood? Probably run a 18" bar, 0.325, 0.058", full chisel. Thoughts? Sounds like they are doing away with the 357xp as well.....I've got dibs at a dealer with one.....just starting to think about it.

We use the 346 for liming with 18 bar:chainsaw::chainsaw::chainsaw: at work and are told not to use it for falling or bucking. We have 365s for that job. But if all you need is a 18 bar that saw should be fine. They do rev nice.

359 is beyond excellent for what you'll use it for. I have 3 of them and they're great for even cutting 100 cord a year or more.

I feel that calling the rather sedate 359 excellent is a huge overstatement!

The Euro MS361 was my choise in the 60cc class, before the 560xp!

They mostly do that with some margin, when both are well ported......;)

Indeed, and I didn't mean to come off as a "challenge" either, I'm just happy with the way it can pull a 20" bar and it's SO MUCH lighter than my 046!

...so far so good with the 575 and 16" bar...

I've blocked up 7-8 chord over the last couple of weeks and it is a real sweetheart. Almost as fast as my 385 w/ 20" B-C, but over two pounds lighter all fueled up and ready to go. Switching to the shorter bar really made a difference in handling and the saw is really easy to cut with. I've got some pines here in the yard to fall this week and am looking foward to limbing with it.

Definitely don't miss the gutless 357..:D

My Father in law and Brother in law both ran a tank through it yesterday and they BOTH said it was about as much fun as they have ever had blocking.

I do anywheres from 8-12 cords a year. I used to have a 372xp but it was just too big of a saw for all day use for me. I sold it last year and decided on trying a 346xp ne. At first I was thinking I made a huge mistake. After a few tanks I porter the muffler and changed the coil. HOLY ****!!! This saw just eats everything I throw at it. I would never think of giving this saw up. I absolutely love the 346xp.

Back