346xp bar chain combo

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

btmonnat

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
I am going to buy a 346xp soon and need to know what will work best on this saw.My dealer will put anything I want on this saw for a bar and chain combo. I will use this for clearing hunting trails and small jobs because I also have a 372xp.I would like to make it cut as fast as possible without much modding.I think I might want to stay away from narrow kerf stuff.Any thoughts will greatly be appreciated.3/8 vs. 325

Last edited:
JMO, I dont think you want 3/8s chain on this saw. Theres not much of a choice for .325 chisel chain, Oregon 20 LPX would be your best bet for chisel. The Oregon 95 is a narrow kerf semi chisel chain that works good IMO. Probably dont want to race with it, but as far as general wood cutting I like it.

For bar lenth, 16 to 20 would be prefered. I run a 20 on the 372, so I got a 16 for the 346.

Last edited:
JMO, I dont think you want 3/8s chain on this saw. Theres not much of a choice for .325 chisel chain, Oregon 20 LPX would be your best bet for chisel. The Oregon 95 is a narrow kerf semi chisel chain that works good IMO. Probably dont want to race with it, but as far as general wood cutting I like it.

For bar lenth, 16 to 20 would be prefered. I run a 20 on the 372, so I got a 16 for the 346.

I too like the Oregon 20LPX, and as stated most semi chisel in .325 is narrow kerf which also cuts just fine on that saw. 16"-18" take your pick, I chose the 18" because I had several loops of chain for another 50cc saw already. REJ2

I run .325x16" on my old 346 and .325x18' on the new one. Works great on these saws. 3/8" will work fine, but .325 will be a little faster and less grabby on small stuff.

I'm running Stihl semi-chisel RMC right now, cuts great, holds an edge a long time, BUT is a pain to sharpen, files don't last very long. Oregon has worked good for me, for a lot of years also.

I’d go with the .325 also. With the 372 you’ll really have the best of both worlds. You could get the saw set up with narrow kerf which will be semi-chisel. That way you’ll have the semi for dirty conditions and the NK option. If you get the saw set up with standard .325 you’d have to get a NK bar and chain if you wanted to try it. With the narrow kerf bar you’ll also be able to run standard kerf .325. I started out running narrow kerf semi-chisel on my 2150 but have switched to Bailey’s .325 chisel, much faster than the NK semi and you can’t beat the price.

I hope that makes some sense.:dizzy:

I run 3/8" chain on my 346NE with a 20" bar, it does fine, you just have to leave the rakers alone, I hate that little chain, I find that 72lgx orgon chain out cuts 20Lp .325. You just have to be careful about your feed pressure

Found husky narrow kerf

I just found a brand new husqvarna 18'' narrow kerf bar for it that a friend of mine give me.Know all I have to do is figure out what chain will cut best on that bar.Thanks to all that have responded.

Latest posts

Back