346XP Needs Porting - NE or OE

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VW Splitter

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
CAD has struck again and some how I have two 346XP saws, one is a 2001 Old Edition, and the other is a 2011 new edition. One of them needs a woods port job and I need some advice from you guys that know to tell me which one to have ported.
A little history on the saws:
The 2011 NE I got from ebay about 4 years ago. It looked almost new. It is my go to saw on smaller stuff, works great. I run a 18" bar on it. Compression is 150 psi.
The 2001 OE I got from craigslist 1 week ago.. It had a 16" bar with a dull low kickback chain on it that needed the rakers filled down. It really didn't cut. It had motor oil in the oil tank. I put a real chain on it and some fresh fuel and bar oil. I have made about 6 cuts with it and it seems to work great. After cleaning it up, it looks almost new also. Compression is 160 psi. I will change this bar out to a 18". (A man can have too many different size chains to keep up with).
Which ever one I port I would like to put a 18" light weight bar on it and have a lighter saw that will make you grin from ear to ear when you use it. I have a ported 372XP that I find myself using quite often on some small stuff to get that grin going. I am getting old I need a lighter saw.
So which one do I port, and why?

Though to limb in heavy brush w/ a piped saw
Once in a while I'd take my piped poulan to storm damage jobs to help advertise. When hundreds of ppl and companies have saws running they would shut down or stop n look like what the fick is that.
Then yeah se a tree removal crew delimbing and bucking with a piped poulan singing it's song in a whole different note that other saws around. Hell il bring my echo to some lot clears or side jobs to run a few cuts with or for a conversation starter. Most ppl tend to ask what is it, what's it for, can I se it run.

Plus you can Google up yamaha zuma pipe. They are good up to 80cc big bore kits. When getting these pipes remember that saws don't have near the breathing room as a dirt bike or newer Japan scooter. So they do work well with saws. Stinger tubes seem to be the thing to play with at the end of or middle of the expansion chamber, close to carb bore size or smaller work well. Got too big and you just make more noise and lowers ur top end rpm power Range

I couldn't imagine having a pipe on a work saw...that just seems silly to me.
If I had a replacement exhaust for my 49cc I could swap out in less than 10 minutes pipe to canister and be running again. Like I said it's fun to have and when ppl come up and ask why I do that, then I tell them a Lumberjack is not a normal person. And I am proud to say I'm not like you and all the other office workers out there. Hell after my oh26 woody pro gets a squish cut and base cut I may lay some fingers down and build a pipe of it for the gtg meets. It's a piss revin Lil saw and fun to run too.
There is a big husky listed as the Manhattan project piped husky and it gets used in the woods as work and bucking saw. It's pretty bad azs

Once in a while I'd take my piped poulan to storm damage jobs to help advertise. When hundreds of ppl and companies have saws running they would shut down or stop n look like what the fick is that.
Then yeah se a tree removal crew delimbing and bucking with a piped poulan singing it's song in a whole different note that other saws around. Hell il bring my echo to some lot clears or side jobs to run a few cuts with or for a conversation starter. Most ppl tend to ask what is it, what's it for, can I se it run.
Dude you had me laughing, that is the funniest **** I have heard in a while!!!!!

Back